PDA

View Full Version : I have an f150 detail to do

Pages : [1] 2

imported_Axe
02-21-2005, 09:41 AM
The vehicle will arrive tomorrow, and I may make a start then, or certainly over the weekend, weather permitting, however I have only seen pictures of this huge vehicle so far. It is black and apparently has plenty of swirl marks, so I am looking for some advice on the process, and products that you might use with this vehicle ? It being an American vehicle I have no idea whether it is clear coat, or single coat, whether it is tough to remove swirls from its paint, etc. Any help gratefully received.

Alex Creasey
02-21-2005, 10:09 AM
We were looking at these at a car show at Ally Pally yesterday.... The main consensus was `Thank god we don`t have to detail vehicles this big!` They are nice though.....

Good luck! Show us some pics when done :)

imported_Axe
02-21-2005, 10:12 AM
Thanks Alex, I may need it !

here is a pic of the beast

http://www.nexusinternet.com/images/shanesdetail/croppedf150swirly.jpg

gkerr4
02-21-2005, 10:27 AM
Axe,

Have you bought one? will stick out a bit in the seaside resort of yours!!

Seriously - good luck! - I often think it takes a while to do my 3-series (which you will know all about) and it makes me amazed to see the work our american cousins do on these trucks!

let us see some pics!

FryeBaby
02-21-2005, 10:47 AM
I started my detailing business in January and every detail I have done so far has been a big SUV. I sure am ready for a regular car. But I`m thankful for the business. Wes

Gonzo
02-21-2005, 11:15 AM
Axe,

That is a special limited edition F150, all done up Harley-Davidson style. It will be clearcoated. It is no way swirled as bad as the "Back From the Abyss" F150 Lightning I did earlier. Depending on the polisher(s) you have and the polish(s) you have, to do a proper job, you are probably looking at 8-12 hours of work.

I would recommend Menzerna IP for the cut using a polishing pad (LC orange for the badder areas, LC white for the better areas) and Menzerna FP with a finishing pad on 6 for the final polish step. Just remember for the IP to use it sparringly and to wash out the pad whenever it starts to get gummed up with polish. Work it good as you want to break it down well. Have a 50/50 mix of water and isopropyl alcohol handy for getting the IP off if it starts streaking on you. The FP will buff right off with a MF and it will squeek, literally, on the paint (Now thats clean paint!). AIO and SG on the back will look absolutely fabulous. Be careful around the orange pin-striping - taping over yould be best... You may need to hit the rougher spots a couple of times to remove the marring unless you have something stronger than the IP. Have fun!

C. Charles Hahn
02-21-2005, 11:38 AM
Only thing I`d be careful about on that truck is the chrome wheels. Don`t go overboard wtih strong cleaner, stick to diluted stuff if you can. I`ve seen a set of those get torn up bad with acid wheel cleaner. Not fun :(

imported_Axe
02-21-2005, 12:49 PM
Excellent help so far people, Gonzo you appear to know a lot about this vehicle, and as you say it is a Harley-Davidson style vehicle. Thanks for the tip of masking the stripe, I will do that. As far as materials go, I have IP and FPII I have the Orange Sonus Pad or the White CMA pad those are my most aggressive pads, I have the CMA gray pad as my finishing pad.

I do have other products, I have Megs #80 and #83 and 1z MP and 1z Extra Paint Cleaner, I also have Z2 with ZFx.

Thanks for the heads up Shiny lil Detailer, I do have some BMW acid, I guess you would advise against that ... I have no experience with those kind of wheels, so any good suggestions as to what I might use, I do have some Megs Wheel Wax which I hate, but it might work?

Lowejackson
02-21-2005, 12:56 PM
Paul

I note that you have some Autoglym wheel cleaner, I found this works just as well if it is watered down.

Given the size of that thing, I hope your getting well paid :)

JeffM
02-21-2005, 02:09 PM
On pickups it seems a rotorary would be easy as pie on the long runs on the bed, and hood.

If you have ever used one....

imported_Axe
02-21-2005, 02:32 PM
Gkerr, no its not mine, damn that thing would never fit on my drive ! Its massive! :)

JBM The guy who owns the pickup does have a rotary, but I have never used one, so I will probably go with the PC.

Lowe not sure that I have AG wheel cleaner? .... maybe I do will check .. thanks for the tip, and no I won`t be being paid, he is a good friend and the vehicle is new to him, he wantst me to make it sparkle!

Jonny_venus
02-21-2005, 03:28 PM
Paul,

Good luck, that door looks like someone went over it with a scotch pad...., if you need more aggressive pads in a hurry try screwfix direct, under the abrasive section, I have the blue pad, havn`t tried it yet, but its firmer than the Sonus orange.

PK

TW85 HHI
02-21-2005, 04:10 PM
Lucky for you, Ford`s CC is relatively soft.

imported_Axe
02-23-2005, 06:26 PM
I saw the car up close today and I DROVE IT! ... quite an experience with left hand drive on very narrow English roads! But what an impressive sounding engine, and the paint is to die for, it is jet black, and I am sure looking forward to trying to clean it up. I will be detailing it this Saturday weather permitting.

I noticed it has some fantastic features, the harley davidson badges all over the place, in the cab, in the leather seats, it is awesome. Speaking of these harley decals on the outside, and in fact the chrome generally, do you think i should apply any particular product? Will AIO be ok to go over the top of the chrome ?

I am considering this process

Wash

Clay

IP orange pad (light cutting pad I guess)

1z Paint Polish Blue Pad

AIO blue pad

1z Glanz Wax

Do you think I could/should skip the PP step ? Any tips on using the Glanz ? Would P21s be preferrable ?

What a vehicle, I reckon I will be 10 - 12 hours on this, in fact it may run into Sunday ...

Sorry just thought of another question, what to clean those wheels with ? My BMW wheel cleaner acid a bit too strong do you think? AIO maybe ?

Thanks for your help and patience

Gonzo
02-23-2005, 07:12 PM
Axe,

I have done over a dozen of these factory modified trucks, Lightnings - the Harley Edition`s BIG BROTHER. Please allow me to suggest:

Wash

Clay (while wet, or not, as you prefer)

1ZPP with LC white

If any noticible marring remains, you could step up to IP and orange to get them, then redo those areas with 1ZPP and white again. Revaluate any remaining marring and kill it too.

FP and finest pad you have at highest speed on PC (or equivalent)

AIO via machine or hand as you wish.

SG if you have it or the Glanz if not

Wheels - use a chrome polish first, then AIO and SG

PS - Lift the hood and take a look at the "huffer" (supercharger for the uninitiated)! And if you are allowed to, find a striaght stretch of DRY pavement, ease into the throttle, taking maybe 2-3 seconds to go from idle to on the floor and hang on for the 1-2 shift and tire chirp and if modded the 2-3 chirp. Keep it floored until you hit 70 and just revel in that whine from under the hood. You will be hooked for life!