PDA

View Full Version : What to use when clay doesn`t work?

benpocock
02-21-2005, 03:41 AM
I detailed a Mini Cooper S over the weekend and didn`t believe for one minute before I started that it was going to take 9 hours! On closer inspection however I noticed that the entire right hand side of the car and the hood was covered in tiny black specs. No problem I thought, I`ll just get them off with some clay and then I can start in earnest.

It was upon trying the clay that I realised that these were not tar spots (they didn`t protrude from the surface like tar does). I still have no idea what it was, but with a lot of persuasion they eventually came off (it took over two hours just to clay the side of the car).

My question is, what can I use that`s more aggressive than clay? I managed to get the same specs off the wheels by using Autoglym Clean Wheels (acidic) and a fairly stiff nylon brush, but for obvious reasons didn`t want to go this route on the paint. Tar remover didn`t work either.

Would body solvent be more appropriate in these situations or is that no more aggressive than a tar remover?

When my friend picked the car up after I had finished she was over the moon, not only because it was now nice and shiny once more, but also because she said those black specs had been there since new and the dealer couldn`t be bothered to do anything about them. After slaving away for over two hours just to get rid of them it`s nice to get a compliment like that!

Unfortunately I didn`t take any pictures because I just didn`t have enough time!

Thanks,

Ben.

PhilS
02-21-2005, 04:50 AM
What clay are you using - maybe a more aggressive clay would be the answer?

benpocock
02-21-2005, 05:01 AM
I was using the Meguiars Quick Clay and Clay Magic. Both were about as "effective" as each other. Are there any side effects of using a more aggressive clay such as marring?

Ben

imported_mirrorfinishman
02-21-2005, 08:41 AM
How about paint cleaners and polishes?

http://www.meguiars.com/product_showroom/showproducts_template.cfm?SrcLine=PP&SrcCat=2

http://www.meguiars.com/product_showroom/showproducts_template.cfm?SrcLine=PP&SrcCat=3

imported_Sullybob
02-21-2005, 09:12 AM
I agree with Frank. Maybe a chemical paint cleaner and if that didn`t work a polish.

What was the rest of your process?

benpocock
02-21-2005, 09:22 AM
The rest of the process was AG SRP via PC, EGP by hand then UDS as a topper over that. Unfortunately my AIO didn`t arrive until this morning otherwise I would have tried that!

BEn

Bill D
02-21-2005, 09:24 AM
Sounded like industrial fallout. A three step decontamination wash : Finish Kare and Valugard ( Autoint) both offer.

Shame on the dealer for not bothering to learn how to approach this problem as I understand both FK and Auto Int work with manufactuers in addressing appearance issues.

Accumulator
02-21-2005, 11:51 AM
BenP-Glad to hear you got the spots off. Hard to say just *what* they might`ve been. Paint overspray, industrial fallout, who knows?!

I too would`ve probably used ABC if I had some on hand.

You`re right, more aggressive clay will mar the paint. While the approach you used might`ve taken a lot of time and effort, at least you didn`t harm anything and you *were* successful :xyxthumbs

SVR
02-22-2005, 07:43 AM
Meguiars Quick Clay and mirror glaze clay are no where near as effective as Clay Magic blue or red bars.

If that and prepsol doesn`t work, yeah move to paint cleanser and then polish

Don`t like the sound of finish kare decontamination stuff

Emailed the company a short time ago and did some research on it. The stuff contains sulfuric acid.

Not sure if it`s as bad as oxalic acid which I hate but it`s an acid and I won`t use it.

Diamondite speed clay and that cellulose sponge work well too

Removed water spots like magic.

It wasn`t tree sap I hope. Some clay`s won`t remove that.

togwt
02-22-2005, 10:02 AM
We came agross a similar problem on the side of a building (once we finished cleaning the building the client also noticed it on her white MB

Small black specks (dots):

This could be the spore of artillery fungus (Sphaerobolus) they look very much like tar spots and are usually about 1/10th-inch in diameter. The term artillery refers to the fact that the fungus actively uses energy to shoot its spore masses, sort of like a cannon (an artillery piece). It is a fungus that lives in wood-based mulch, the spores are usually shot only a short distance (several feet) but the wind can carry them for longer distances.

Fabric- They can be removed by using a plastic razor blade to scrape and remove the spot and then use a fabric cleaner (303ΓƒΆΓΆβ‚¬ΕΎΓ‚Ά Cleaner & Spot Remover)

Paint surface- They can be removed by using a plastic razor blade to scrape and remove the spot and then use a chemical solvent type cleaner (Klasse All-In-One or Autoglym Paint Renovator) to remove the residue.

JonM

Glossequation
02-22-2005, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by BenP

My question is, what can I use that`s more aggressive than clay?

Thanks,

Ben.

rotary

imported_Bence
02-22-2005, 10:50 AM
AG PR is chemical & abrasive also. Contains aluminum-oxide powder.

DetailDamon
07-30-2009, 01:05 PM
I would have done a mineral spirits wipedown first. Would not have hurt anything.

imported_rlarsen462
07-30-2009, 01:26 PM
My god man, this thread was 4 and a half years old.

A.P.D.
07-30-2009, 02:12 PM
i had the same problem 3 years ago in san fransico because the trolly went down their street. Just like the mini only one side was in bad shape( the side the trolly passed by). i used some crystal wash and it took out alot of the dots and made it way easier to clay and make the surface spotless.