PDA

View Full Version : Pad question

David703
02-20-2005, 06:21 PM
I just used SSR3 and SSR2.5, SSR1 on my jeep`s hood. Trying to get surface scratches out.. Used a Mequiar`s beige pad on my PC, not a cutting pad cuz i dont have any. Am I not seeing any real difference because I`m not using the proper cutting pad? I would think SSR3 would have made a difference... it got some minor spider webbing out but thats it. Please help!

White95Max
02-20-2005, 06:23 PM
Isn`t the beige pad a finishing pad? IMO that would be foolish to use SSR3 with a finishing pad. You`re using a heavy compound with a weak pad.

If you are using compounds, you really need to buy some cutting pads, or at least light-cut pads.

David703
02-20-2005, 06:25 PM
white95max thanks for the reply. I`m waiting on my new pads... but do you think the reason its not doing anything is all because the pad?

eclipsegt05
02-20-2005, 06:28 PM
Originally posted by David703

white95max thanks for the reply. I`m waiting on my new pads... but do you think the reason its not doing anything is all because the pad?

Yes, because the pad isn`t designed to have any "cut" to it. It`s good for laying down glazes or LSPs. With a cutting pad, you probably wouldn`t even need that heavy of a compund to remove light to moderate swirl marks. SSR2.5 should be enough power.:up

David703
02-20-2005, 06:30 PM
thanks for the quick response!! :up

White95Max
02-20-2005, 06:31 PM
an aggressive pad will allow the compound to do its job better/faster. I have not tried using a compound with anything other than a light-cut and medium-cut pad, so I couldn`t tell you whether it would work properly with a weak pad.

I personally would never use a finishing pad (meant for applying waxes/sealants) with a compound.

THECLEANER
02-20-2005, 06:34 PM
What kind of swirls do you have? Starting off with SSR3 I assume you have moderate to heavy swirls and yes the product and pad combo besides technique has alot to do with the kind of results you can achieve. I would suggest getting an LC orange cutting pad for the SSR3 and then following up with a white LC polishing pad and a lighter smr. Hope this helps.

Eliot Ness
02-20-2005, 09:15 PM
As eclipsegt05 suggested, I would not start out with SSR3. While the traditional advice is to start out with the least aggressive pad/polish and step up if needed, you also don`t want to use a finish pad with a compound. As Paul (White95Max) stated the finish pad is best suited for waxes, glazes, and sealers.

I don`t know what pads you have coming, but as someone else suggested, I would start out with SSR2.5 on a polish pad or an orange (light cut/polish) pad. If you do wind up using SSR3 be prepared to follow up with a ligher polish and pad to remove the marring that SSR3 will most likely leave behind.

David703
02-20-2005, 09:34 PM
thanks everyone.........i`ll be getting my pads this week, and take the advice everyone gave me! thanks .:up