PDA

View Full Version : Is clay necessary in this situation?

imported_MCA
02-20-2005, 02:22 AM
Hey folks,

I will doing a full detail job on a family member`s red Ford Focus. Unfortunately, the car`s paint is in pretty bad condition. Although there are very minimal dents and deep gouges, the car has light-to-medium scratches throughout the entire body. I can also feel some grit on the car with my fingertips. Since I plan on using some aggressive polish all over the body, is claying the car necessary? I know clay removes small particles, contamination, etc. from the clearcoat/paint, but doesn`t polishing with an aggressive item perform a similar task (by removing a tiny layer of clearcoat/paint)? I was planning on using IP via PC, but I do have DACP and PG available. I was going to use FPII (have #80 available) as a followup. I am definitely not an expert so please excuse the ignorance. I have no problem claying the car, but I do not want to waste time if a thorough polish would also remove the contamination. Thanks in advance guys. Keep on waxin`

MCA

q_tip98444
02-20-2005, 02:49 AM
Yes you still need to clay. The polish won`t remobe the roughness that you feel neither would a chemical cleaner so it is still needed to clay. As far as the polishes go, I have only used DACP and #80 buy they worked great on the all cars I used them on from a blue suzuki to a black acura. Good luck, those foci look pretty nice when all shined up.

DrSauekraut
02-20-2005, 06:46 AM
Use the clay . . . youâ€â„¢ll thank us for it :D

DCT
02-20-2005, 09:50 AM
It`s not "necessary" or "mandatory" to use clay in that situation, but the clay will make the job easier.

Trust me, for years and years (prior to clay coming along) we manged to get paint pefectly clean, smooth and polished to perfection "without" clay.

rollman
02-20-2005, 12:21 PM
Here`s a challenge for you . Tape half the trunk off (front to back like a racing stripe) Clay one side and finish as your suggested. Skip the clay on the other side and finish the same way . Take some pics and let us know how it turns out . :xyxthumbs

Lowejackson
02-20-2005, 12:40 PM
Do you need to clay - no, is it worth it - yes.

togwt
02-20-2005, 01:26 PM
If in doubt...clay

JonM

raymond_ho2002
02-20-2005, 01:42 PM
I find that I use a lot less product (wax, polish, glaze, etc) on a surface that has been clayed. Your product will spread much farther because it doesn`t get caught against the contaminants. It makes exterior detailing a much more enjoyable experience when you clay.

If the car`s shot to hell and you`re going to polish anyway, and if time is limited, you can half-*** a clay session and not worry too much about turning over the clay as much.