PDA

View Full Version : newbie q about first AIO, Sg application

buttashine
11-23-2004, 04:38 AM
Hey guys,
I recieved my twins via brown truck and talked my friend with a silver infiniti into letting me do her car first. I`m just a little concerned about some things I`ve heard about klasse. Is there any problems asc with applying SG too thick, some peps said it was hard to wipe off sometimes? Is this product just wipe on and then off, don`t wait for haze? Big question, will one coat of AIO to SG make the car look close to all your slick pictures? I only get the car for a day so I need to know that one. Has anyone put a second coat of SG in less than 24 hours? Can I go from CLAY-to-AIO-to-SG w/o any other steps? No other washing in between clay/AIO? Do I have to wait to put a finishing Wax? tya

groebuck
11-23-2004, 09:33 AM
Good news is it`s silver so if there are any swirls they will show up less than say a red or dark color. There are two methods for SG (AIO is easy - wipe it on, wipe it off).

So Clay first - then AIO - now here is the hard part. Decided how you want to apply SG. Two schools here. One is wipe on wipe off just like AIO, the other is Wipe on, let dry wipe off. I beleive the key to applying SG in both methods is a damp applicator and use very little of the SG (in sections - You should not be using more than about 1 oz - 1.5 max for the whole car...and I hate when people tell me that becuase I don`t know what the frig an ounce or two is out of giant bottle..until I found organized living and they sell little two ounce bottles!! - I just fill em half full and do that car).

Anyhooo- I have seen amazing results with the wipe on wipe off method AND the wipe on let dry and wipe off method. Again the key to success with either is make sure your applicator is damp (not soaking wet..damp) and don`t use too much of the product.

NYV6Coupe
11-23-2004, 11:06 AM
Definitely clay first & assess the surface. AIO will clean but will not remove any scratches, swirls, or spider webbing `cause it`s a chemical cleaner.

Surface prep is everything, the detailing process is just that .... 90% process and 10% product.

first, be careful the first few times you pickup either AIO or SG `cause the container is filled to the top and flimsey so you`ll squeeze out some product accidentally. I almost got a face-full of AIO & now my workbench is protected for the winter. Definitely migrate some of these products to smaller bottles for easier handling.

I used a wipe on / wipe off approach (WOWO) & had great success. Use a damp applicator (I used MF applicator) and no more than a nickle size amount of SG. This amount will easily do 1/2 the hood and I use water on the pad rather than QD because of the variation between different QD`s and that could affect the results.

Every other re-application of SG to the pad, redampen (do not soak) the applicator with a spritz or two of water. I found this to be the easiest method and take off residue with a MF towel.

First time, I probably applied too much SG & let it dry so it was tough to take off in some spots ( I couldn`t believe it would spread so far ) so remember to apply SG THIN ..... THIN ..... THIN.

Do a 2nd layer 24hrs later (sealants need time to crosslink & cure) and you`ll have complete coverage of the spots you may have missed with 1st layer.

hammondc
11-23-2004, 02:55 PM
is it OK to drive between coats? I would think this would pick up dust etc off road and cause scratching.

JaredPointer
11-23-2004, 03:10 PM
is it OK to drive between coats? I would think this would pick up dust etc off road and cause scratching.

Leaving your vehicle garaged between coats would be great. You just gotta have another car or like to walk. In the real world, most of us can`t afford to let it sit in-between coats of a product. I am under the assumption that you can use a waterless wash or wash it again before applying another coat. Just be sure the surface is clean and you should be okay.

rabbi
11-23-2004, 03:47 PM
I`d wash in between coats.

buttashine
11-23-2004, 04:11 PM
Hey thanks all for the replies but I really need these three questions answered before I start.

1. I only get the car for a day so I need to know that one. Has anyone put a second coat of SG in less than 24 hours, WILL ONE COAT LOOK GOOD?

2. Can I go from CLAY-to-AIO-to-SG w/o any other steps?

3. No other washing in between clay/AIO? Do I have to wait to put a finishing Wax?

NYV6Coupe
11-23-2004, 07:50 PM
1) Can`t answer this question `cause I waited a day for SG to crosslink & cure before applying a 2nd layer but one layer did look good.

2) depending on the condition of the surface, "yes" you can. When you do your spring detailing you might find it helpful to clay - polish with something like PP or SSR1 (I`m implying a mild abrasive polish) - AIO - SG. Polish if the surface requires it.

3a) I clay while washing do I`m claying/washing in one step (apply soapy water - clay - apply soapy water - rinse). AIO is an excellent chemical cleaner, so I`m guessing you could go from clay to AIO because AIO will clean-up any clay and/or clay lube residue but that`s just a guess and not my experience. If you have clay residue that you can actually see, then I`d wash again.

3b) I would definitely wait to apply wax over SG for the same crosslinking/curing reasons or you may not get satisfying, durable results. I would suggest a top quality carnauba, something like LS, Natty`s, s100, p21, you get the idea.

rollman
11-23-2004, 07:53 PM
Hey thanks all for the replies but I really need these three questions answered before I start.

1. I only get the car for a day so I need to know that one. Has anyone put a second coat of SG in less than 24 hours, WILL ONE COAT LOOK GOOD?

I`m sure some people have but you need 24 hours between coats of SG / YES

2. Can I go from CLAY-to-AIO-to-SG w/o any other steps?
YES

3. No other washing in between clay/AIO? Do I have to wait to put a finishing Wax?
If you notice alot of clay residue wash the car again/ YES let the SG cure 24 hours.

Read this to .LINK (http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=48) I thought everyone did a good job answering you but I guess you didn`t .