PDA

View Full Version : Giving UPP a try.

Pages : [1] 2 3

porterror
02-18-2005, 01:08 AM
Well. I`ve tried the AIO + Sourvern combo and I love it on my red car. Now i`d like to compare the results by using a sealant. I have both 4*UPP + SG, but not sure which to use. I`ve never tried a sealant before, any suggestions as to the process to apply them or which one to go with? Also should I top either with my sourvern?

Here is my process currently

---------------------------------

NXT Wash

Clay

NXT Wash

AIO

Sourvern

Scottwax
02-18-2005, 01:19 AM
On red, I`d go with UPP. Just follow the directions and you will be fine.

a.k.a. Patrick
02-18-2005, 01:28 AM
Your in for a treat. UPP is very easy to use, apply evenly with PC or by hand, and you`ll have wonderful results. Let is set for about 20 minutes or so, longer with cooler/humid temps. I like to let my project sit in the sun for a few moments after application to help level oils, also one more trip to the sun dept after wipe off, warm the remaining oils up, thin them out, and wipe off. Ive had my best results with this process and product, as well as with BF. Topper is your choice, ive never found it necessary.

imported_Burlyq
02-18-2005, 01:58 AM
Out of your list, I would stick with your AIO and Souvern. I do like the way SG looks but it does take more work then most other sealants.

RedondoV6
02-18-2005, 02:04 AM
I`d go with the UPP first, easier to use than SG.

Wash

Clay

AIO

UPP X2

That should give you a good something worth comparing to a quality carnauba like Souvern. See which `look` you like best.

Gonzo
02-18-2005, 07:25 AM
Did you know that SG and UPP are layerable with each other? I`ve put UPP over SG and SG over UPP without problems. UPP over SG, to my eyes anyway, seems to brighten up the finish. Sonus Acrylic Spritz works interchangably as well.

SG for protection and UPP for slickness. With my vehicle living in the driveway 24/7 in Houston heat and humidity, I found the UPP slickness lasts about 2 weeks.

porterror
02-18-2005, 10:44 AM
Awesome, I think i`m going to give the AIO + UPP *2 a try this week. Here is my problem. I got a sample of the UPP from a friend and its just in a small container that says it should do about 4 cars. But, there is no directions on it. Do i just apply with MF applicator (I have no PC yet) put out in the sun for 20-30 mins, then buff off?

maxshine
02-18-2005, 10:50 AM
I would apply UPP with foam as would I SG unless you WOWO.

I do AIO, SG, UPP. I like to get that durable layer of SG down first.

UPP is very easy to remove. Apply thin and wait 20-30 min.

White95Max
02-18-2005, 11:38 AM
I use a foam Meg`s 4" applicator to apply UPP. It`s so easy to apply, I don`t see a need to use a PC for the task.

Woob
02-18-2005, 11:42 AM
Its rather liquidy, but will spread well. You might try using 1 mist (VERY light, don`t dilute it) of QD or water. Leave it out from 30 - 45 minutes then buff off. Should reveal a very slick surface!

T. Perinne
02-18-2005, 11:44 AM
I`m putting AIO + UPP back on my black Mustang tonight - its replacing VM + Souveran thats currently on. I can`t wait to see that deep gloss and slickness again!

klnyc
02-18-2005, 11:49 AM
I thought UPP needed to cure over 24hr and then remove. Can UPP do WOWO like you do with KSG?

What if you were park your car outside, not in the garagre. If you apply UPP and waited 24hr, wont your car fill with dust and other crap? :confused:

White95Max
02-18-2005, 11:52 AM
I`ve never let UPP sit for more than 30 minutes before buffing it off.

C-Man
02-18-2005, 12:33 PM
To layer UPP, it is recommended you wait at least 24 hours for it to cure. For removal, the bottle states to wait about 20 minutes IIRC.

TortoiseAWD
02-18-2005, 01:55 PM
I think some folks are confusing drying time with cure time. Drying time is how long it takes for a polymer sealant to dry and haze; once dry, it`s ready to remove. Curing refers to how long it will take the polymer to "cross-link", to bond more securely both to the paint and itself. Curing typically takes 12-24 hours, depending on the product, the temp, and the humidity.

In my limited experience with UPP, here`s the technique I used and had success with: Apply thinly with a dry foam applicator (I use a small cordless buffer to apply sealants and waxes), allow to dry 20-30 minutes (a very light haze will form), then buff off. I`ve had no problems with the two coats I`ve applied, and both were done on relatively cold days.

Tort