PDA

View Full Version : What do you guys think of 3M for polishing?

jataga
02-17-2005, 05:09 PM
Ok, so i am a newbee and i posted on this forum once before at this link: Look Here Please (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=49771&highlight=jataga)

Anyway, I got a Makita 9227CX3 buffer for my b-day and i stopped by this auto paint shop to see if they had any of the Mcquires products you guys recommended. They did not. I have had the following TWO 3M polishes that are a few years old but are still in the liquid state and i assume are still good.

What do you guys think of 3M Perfect-it Swirl mark remover 39009 and Finesse-It II Finishing Material Machine Polish 39003? These are the two polishes that i have.

I am going to wash and polish my black 4Runner this weekend and wanted advice from people who know! If this 3M stuff is not as good as the Meguiars #83 and #80, I will go out and purchase it!

I figured since i already have the 3M stuff, there is no need to buy more BUT if you guys think Mequiars is better, I`m throwing this 3M stuff away!

Thanks again for all of your help and advice!!!

Oh last thing, the guy at the paint shop recommended getting a foam pad to buff with instead of the fluffy pad (lamb wool???i have no idea). He said using the foam pads is the best way to go. what do yall think?

imported_Dude
02-17-2005, 05:14 PM
You should be fine with the 3M products. They are fine, every bit as good as the Meguiar`s, and there is no reason to switch.

Just remember to start out at a slow speed with the less aggressive polish first, and only speed up your buffer and switch to a more agressive polish and pad if the less agressive one doesn`t get the job done. This is the Hippocratic Oath of Detailing -- first, do no harm! Also, make sure to keep your pad moving.

Lastly, the paint shop guy is absolutely right about the foam pads. I cannot see a reason to use wool under any circumstances; it is far too harsh for modern paint jobs. I have never encountered a correctible paint defect that I can`t remove with foam, and the chances of burning thorugh your paint (or at least marring the heck out of your paint and making your job much harder) are unaccetably high with wool.

Please post pics when you are done!

jataga
02-17-2005, 05:21 PM
thanks for the advice! I am going to take a few pics before and definitely some afterwards.

Tomorrow i am going to bring my polisher to the car paint shop to get it "fitted" with a foam pad - $20 for the foam pad...i guess that`s a good price.

Hopefully the weather will be nice on saturday and I can get to work.

stevet
02-17-2005, 05:51 PM
3M Finesse It II Machine Polish is one of my favorites. I find it to be more aggressive than Megs #83. You should get excellent results with it.

tripper_11
02-17-2005, 09:39 PM
Or also try the 3M PI-III Machine Glaze. It`s classified as a non-filling abrasive.

Megs #83 and #80, though my favorites, are alleged to contain fillers/oils.

so it depends on what your preference is.

As for me, I have both the Megs #83 and #80 filling abrasive polish, and the 3M PI-III Rubbing Compound and Machine Glaze non-filling abrasives.

I just needed both filling and non-filling abrasive polishes. And I hate none of them anyway.

stevet
02-18-2005, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by tripper_11

Or also try the 3M PI-III Machine Glaze. It`s classified as a non-filling abrasive.

Megs #83 and #80, though my favorites, are alleged to contain fillers/oils.

so it depends on what your preference is.

As for me, I have both the Megs #83 and #80 filling abrasive polish, and the 3M PI-III Rubbing Compound and Machine Glaze non-filling abrasives.

I just needed both filling and non-filling abrasive polishes. And I hate none of them anyway.

3M Finesse It II Machine Polish is also a non filling product. It is more abrasive than Perfect It III Machine Glaze but less abrasive than Perfect It III Rubbing Compound.

tripper_11
02-18-2005, 09:17 AM
I haven`t tried the 3M Machine Polish, but since it`s from 3M and like MG or RC, it`s gotta be a good non-filling abrasive polish. Thanks for the info anyway.