PDA

View Full Version : Any Autopians in Southwest Texas using "Hawaiian Shine" Car Shampoo?

Sveta
02-17-2005, 04:56 PM
Having only used NXT all year, I ran across the last few oz`s of "Hawaiian Shine" (Longhorn Distributing, El Paso, TX) in the "sample bottle" I got last year and decided to use it up. I had two identical set-ups. NXT for one car and Hawaiian Shine (HS if I may) for the other. 1 oz. per gallon, HARD WATER and same wool mit.

I was really shocked at how THICK and foamy HS was compared to NXT. NXT has "big soap bubbles". HS has really foamier small bubbles that "mound up thick" in the water. (Does this make sense as a description?) I wondered why I didn`t knowtice this difference last year? It was the side by side use last weekend that made it SO OBVIOUS. (Cleans and rinses just as good as NXT.) I must repeat, NICE SUDS compared to NXT. I experimented with a mix of the two the next day to get the "anti-static NXT effect" but I couldn`t tell if it did or not.

HS is very popular in this area THEY said. I believe them now. I was so caught up with the "new hot" NXT Tech Wash last year that I didn`t think about HS much at all. I mentioned HS once a year ago, no responses, except from Ranney,... Aloha....,but now I`m going to mention it again. I want to send a few samples to some respected experts here for their opinions but before I do maybe some Texas-area Autopians are already familiar with this and have an opinion one way or the other. (Ranney, if your reading this, you will get some for sure just `cause you ask what it was and your a gentleman to boot.)

This soap makes nice thick tight suds in our hard water that last all through the wash and didn`t thin out like NXT does for me. (To the extent that I have to agitate NXT often throughout the wash to suds it up.) HS is very slippery feeling too, and I remember the owner was very proud of his formulation. I have no experience with any other house products they sell to car dealers and shops.(I remember a sales clerk saying their regular economy wash was OK but HS ran out all the time. The owner makes batches of products and at the time they were out but gave me a 16oz. sample.) I`m really curious what some expert Autopians might think about it or if they are even aware of it. If it`s as good as "I" think it is maybe this should get some attention. (Going to El Paso soon and I hope it still is available at the app. $16(?) a gallon I think it once was.)

NozeBleedSpeed
02-17-2005, 05:42 PM
Marty, Hawaiian Shine is distributed by Coats Products. You may want to compare prices.

http://www.coatsproducts.com/products3.asp

Sveta
02-17-2005, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by NozeBleedSpeed

Marty, Hawaiian Shine is distributed by Coats Products. You may want to compare prices.

http://www.coatsproducts.com/products3.asp

Thanks for the link, NozeBleedSpeed, but... I JUST FOUND OUT IT`S NOT THE SAME PRODUCT!!!

Called Longhorn Distrinuting to ask if it`s the Coats product and they were very surprised and very interested in finding out there is another car wash product with that name. I gave them the .com address.

Longhorn absolutely said they formulated their own "Hawaiian Shine" and said their product was absolutely not the Coats product. (In fact, their soap is pale red and the Coats stuff looks kind of purple to me.) I mentioned Coats advertises theirs as a salt removing formula for Hawaii, but they`ll see that on the site.

Longhorn Distributing "Hawaiian Shine" is $11 a gal. or $42 for a 5 gallon container I also found out. Their product also has a "wax" in it. (I didn`t know that before today.) It IS formulated for the Southwest`s hard water, Ph balanced, etc. and is, in their words, often used as a "lazy man`s way to get a nice shine with just a wash". (No wonder I thought my black truck looked and felt so clean after using it.) They mainly sell this product to "professional detailers" and so on in the area, I was told again today. Open Saturday mornings and I`m going to pick up a gallon, for further testing. :D

I`ll get back on this after I go down there and report what else I find out. I`ll get a product sheet too. Now I`m wondering what the deal is with two companies using the same product name for a auto soap? :argue

Bill D
02-17-2005, 07:48 PM
Hmm..now I need to relocate that `Vette MidAmerica catalog or search their site to see which one I initially saw there.

Eliot Ness
02-17-2005, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by MartyGrant

.......Longhorn absolutely said they formulated their own "Hawaiian Shine" and said their product was absolutely not the Coats product. (In fact, their soap is pale red and the Coats stuff looks kind of purple to me.) I mentioned Coats advertises theirs as a salt removing formula for Hawaii, but they`ll see that on the site.

And here is yet another line of Hawaiian Island Shine products:

http://www.hawaiianislandshine.com/

Sveta
02-19-2005, 10:48 PM
Longhorns today. Hawaiian Shine label said something about good for removing "salt"....that`s what the Coats product`s thing is I believe. Hummmm? Makes one wonder doesn`t it?

Salesman said that their CHERRY ESPUMA, $8 gal., was actually sudsier, more concentrated and Hawaiian Shine used the same base soap plus a wax. Picked the Cherry Espuma; didn`t want the "wax". Mixed up a sample gallon. Minimal aggitation to really foam up; stayed thick too. Suds better then NXT. Maybe this local stuff will be a decent product. Still would like to hear from anyone who has used these soaps.

Scottwax
02-19-2005, 11:42 PM
Sounds interesting. I`ve never seen it here in the Dallas area.

salty
02-20-2005, 12:58 PM
I`ve being testing some products for a Wynn`s distributor. Their car soap is called Hawiian Shine also. It sounds alot like the Coats as is the description he gave me. It works very well, but is not head and shoulders above others.

q_tip98444
02-20-2005, 01:06 PM
I found their website (Longhorn (http://www.longhorn-elpaso.com/) ) its kind of messed up but has info about the HS soap. It says that it contains silicone, and it was originally made to remove the salts down in Hawaii. So maybe it these salt removing soaps are pretty much the same? :nixweiss

Sveta
02-21-2005, 01:05 AM
q_tip98444...Yes, the silicone part I forgot about from when I got the HS sample last year. I remember it felt pretty slippery.

--------------

Mixed two buckets of soap. NXT and Cherry Espuma. The NXT felt a bit more lubricating then the CE, so my initial thought was not as good. The CE did suds a bit better.

I washed half the hood with each mix and rinsed. The NXT side beaded and had those " beadless run off stripes" spaced across the curve. The CE side rinsed virtually bead free, sheeting off like someone was removing a liquid table cloth. I kept playing with the water to see this one solid layer of water sheeting off like a window rolling down. I would spray into the air to let the water rain down and bead on the hood just to see both sides had the tight beads; but direct rinse water at the top of the hood then stopped produced the solid sheeting on the CE side and the bead and stripes on the NXT side again. I honestly don`t know what to think at that point and wondered if it took off the layer of Carnauba Moose wax and the EX-P base. I`ve never seen such obvious sheeting.

(Perhaps someone can comment on this sheeting effect. Is that a good or bad sign? I hope my poor descriptions make sense to someone who has more knowledge in these things then myself.)

I then re-washed the NXT side with CE and it too sheeted. Washed the entire car with CE. (Oh ya, I forgot to add that the wheels when air dryed did not spot like they do with NXT.)During drying I didn`t saturate two MF Wal-Mart Blue Towels like normal. Barely needed the second towel. I would say it self-rinsed pretty well AND no streaking, spots or anything. It looked as if I had just QD`d it. With NXT I always have to retouch the windows here and there, do have filmy streaks here and there and usually let a QD clean it up. This was something I didn`t expect from CE but it did say on the label "streak free". Looking at it tonight in the garage, I think it sparkles pretty good, the sunroof deflector dried spot free "inside" and really looks clean outside. No touch up QD needed anywhere.

I really don`t know what to think as I`m not clear about sheeting free rinsing, and streak free drying as any kind of indication of quality soap.