PDA

View Full Version : will clay remove overspray?

Beeguy
02-16-2005, 03:29 PM
I have a "grey" 2004 VW Touareg, I had the back debadged which required repainting the rear hatch. I have always used Zaino but I noticed that there are some areas that must have some overspray as they feel dry and a little rough . The rest of my vehicle is glass smooth. I bought a clay bar with spray lube and plan on using it to remove the overspray. Do you think it will be enough? I bought the E-Book so I have some idea on what to do but any tips or advice is surely welcome.

this is my first post so go easy;)

Jngrbrdman
02-16-2005, 03:33 PM
They do have clay specifically designed for overspray. Its more agressive than your average `fine` grade clay. Look for the red bar of Clay Magic. That is the `medium` grade clay that I would use for overspray removal if the fine grade doesn`t work. Meguiar`s also has an `overspray clay` that you can find at most Meguiar`s distributor location. Usually those are at auto paint supply shops.

MongooseGA
02-16-2005, 03:33 PM
I commend you for reading the E-book first. This makes your lob of learning and everyone else`s job of teaching much easier. :xyxthumbs

I don`t know what kind of clay you have, but I`m not sure if the basic Mother`s/Clay Magic bars are aggressive enough to remove overspray.

However, a more aggressive bar is made specifically for overspray removal. Good luck.

Beeguy
02-16-2005, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by MongooseGA

I commend you for reading the E-book first. This makes your lob of learning and everyone else`s job of teaching much easier. :xyxthumbs

I don`t know what kind of clay you have, but I`m not sure if the basic Mother`s/Clay Magic bars are aggressive enough to remove overspray.

However, a more aggressive bar is made specifically for overspray removal. Good luck.

Wow you guys are fast :eek: I have Meguiar`s clay. I guess there is no harm done trying a less aggressive clay first. I will see how it goes and post my results. If I`m not happy with results I`ll go the the more aggressive clay thay you guys suggest.

Thanks for such a quick response.

Wow, I think I have found my people:wavey

MongooseGA
02-16-2005, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Beeguy

Wow you guys are fast :eek:

Welcome to Autopia ;)

Jngrbrdman
02-16-2005, 03:46 PM
You have to be fast around here if you want to answer the question first. ;) Its always nice when the first two posts agree with each other.

Accumulator
02-16-2005, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by Beeguy

.. I have Meguiar`s clay. I guess there is no harm done trying a less aggressive clay first... If I`m not happy with results I`ll go the the more aggressive clay ...

That`s a smart way to go about it :xyxthumbs If you have to use the more aggressive clay you`ll almost certainly have to polish out the micromarring it`ll leave behind; those "overspray clays" are pretty rough stuff. So try a few passes with the "regular" clay and see if it`s working. I`d rather clay longer with the mild stuff (if it works for this) than switch to the aggressive stuff if it`s not really necessary.

Welcome to Autopia!

Setec Astronomy
02-16-2005, 05:07 PM
Hey, don`t take this the wrong way, cuz it`s YOUR Touareg, but why would you want so radical a debadging that it required the hatch to be repainted? Most people here would give almost anything to hang onto the original paint.

Beeguy
02-16-2005, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by Setec Astronomy

Hey, don`t take this the wrong way, cuz it`s YOUR Touareg, but why would you want so radical a debadging that it required the hatch to be repainted? Most people here would give almost anything to hang onto the original paint.

I guess itâ€â„¢s just a personnel thing, like upgrading wheels or sound systems. I have made several changes to my Touareg that make it a little different than others and make me feel better about it.

togwt
02-16-2005, 07:39 PM
:welcome to Autopia Beeguy

2004 VW Touareg nice car. The only thing I would add to the great advice thus far is "use lots of lubrication when using a clay bar, if in doubt use more lubricant.

JonM

Lowejackson
02-17-2005, 08:15 AM
My car was resprayed last year and I had a lot of overspray to remove. I did intend to buy some stronger clay but I found my normal 3M clay worked very well.

capt512
02-17-2005, 11:10 AM
Last year my neighbors house a few houses down from mine was restained cedar color, and the next day I noticed red dots all over the car. I had some clay luckily and with about 2 hours of work I was able to get all the stain off. So unless the overspray is really bad I imagine you could get it off with normal. IMO, btw the Touareg is a very nice SUV, good luck with it!

Beeguy
02-17-2005, 07:01 PM
Well my first experience with clay was great. Thanks to all who offered suggestions? I washed and dried my Touareg then used the clay with lots of lubrication spray. Some areas needed a little more work than others but it was easy to feel the difference. When I could no longer feel any rough spots I hosed off and washed and dried again. Followed with Zaino Z2 waited an hour and removed wax and hand buffed. I`m real happy with the job and I`m gearing up to do my wifeâ€â„¢s CRV which will require much more work. I`m a little surprised that her 1999 Honda CRV has no clear coat. It`s much tougher to make it look good.

Thanks again :up

Beeguy