PDA

View Full Version : God I hate cheap paint...

98RegalGS
02-16-2005, 10:35 AM
Back in the summer I had the passenger side front end repainted on my car, just the bumper infact. It was done twice, as the body shop did a horrible job the first, and the 2nd wasnt any better.

Anyhow, it was fine for a while. Klassed it this January, paint looked fine. I pulled the headlight out today (done many times, reseal, put in new lights, etc) like usual and it scratched the hell out of the paint! I see tons of clearcoat scratches. What the hell!

How can I get rid of those? Im thinking about having a reputable shop repaint the whole front piece, and just pay for it. God I hate when people do crappy jobs!!!

98RegalGS
02-16-2005, 09:29 PM
anyone?

98RegalGS
02-17-2005, 09:24 AM
:(

C. Charles Hahn
02-17-2005, 10:46 AM
if the paint is soft, there`s not much you`re going to be able to do about it. Probably a re-paint by a GOOD paint shop (try for one that does paint on in-progress classic car restorations -- they usually do better than most shops) is your best bet.

vdog0531
02-17-2005, 01:08 PM
wetsand, and polish it out.

Vernon

98RegalGS
02-17-2005, 02:09 PM
Never wetsanded before, so Im a bit iffy on that. Ill probably have it re-painted.

Accumulator
02-17-2005, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by 98RegalGS

Anyhow, it was fine for a while. Klassed it this January, paint looked fine. I pulled the headlight out today (done many times, reseal, put in new lights, etc) like usual and it scratched the hell out of the paint! I see tons of clearcoat scratches. What the hell!

How can I get rid of those?

I`m confused. Did you scratch it when removing the headlight, or did it get scratched over the course of winter? Is this area more scratched up than the rest of the car? Repainted areas will generally be softer than factory paint, just the nature of aftermarket paintjobs. Have you tried polishing out the scratches with anything?

Camarorulz
02-17-2005, 08:20 PM
Did you get it done at a GM dealership? From my experience it seems GM paint jobs have really soft clear coats.

98RegalGS
02-18-2005, 09:58 AM
Scratched when removing the headlight. The paint was done twice at a local body shop, first time it was REAL thin, I could see primer under the white in spots. 2nd time looked almost the same, but they claimed to have fixed it.

I dont have any scratch remover, only used AIO to remove any black marks.

Mochamanz1
02-18-2005, 10:17 AM
try IP and FPll it should minimize the appearance of the damage.

Accumulator
02-18-2005, 11:27 AM
Yeah, you need to use an abrasive polish. Maybe try Scratch-X. Most any paint will scratch it you touch it with something (like a headlight) that`s harder than the paint itself. Scratching paint is just *so* easy to do...Hope you didn`t scratch it so deeply that you need another repaint.