PDA

View Full Version : Detailing a car with stickers

benpocock
02-16-2005, 06:46 AM
I`m detailing a friend of mine`s Mini Cooper S at the weekend that has the stick on bonnet stripes. Are there any do`s and don`ts about polishing over them, around them, near them etc with a PC?

I figured if they`re in good nick (i.e. not showing signs of peeling at the edges) then going over them with the PC and a mild polish gently shouldn`t cause any problems.

Opinions?

Ben

gkerr4
02-16-2005, 07:27 AM
Personally, I`d avoid with with the polish - you don`t say what products you are thinking of using, but even something as mild as say, Autoglym SRP - i thinkI would avoid them.

I would, however, go over them with the LSP if you are using a non-cleaning wax on top such as P21s etc..

What are you thinking of using? what colour is the Mini? I had a Black and white one until last year - then i discovered that they don`t exactly make a good family car!!

benpocock
02-16-2005, 07:34 AM
It`s Electric Blue w/ white roof, stripes and mirrors. I`m likely to be using SRP, EG and UDS, however if my shipment of other goodies turns up before then that it may well change! I`ll probably polish up to the stripes and then like you say just give them a coat of the LSP - whatever that turns out to be!

Ben

togwt
02-16-2005, 09:24 AM
I usually clean them with AIO (it seems to `seal` them with its resin) and as you`ve stated polish up to the edge of them

JonM

imported_pugoman
02-16-2005, 09:41 AM
Ben... good luck with the UDS - I`ve found it to be a PITA to remove. I`d stick with the SRP/EGP or you could end up being there all day!

BTW... NXT Wax always seems to look great on those `Electric Blue` colours... and it`s currently available for £8.99 from Halfords until they notice their mistake!

benpocock
02-16-2005, 10:51 AM
I`m going to try topping EGP with UDS as I`ve yet to use it yet. If it`s a total PITA then I`ll junk it - simple!

Ben

C. Charles Hahn
02-16-2005, 10:54 AM
I never had problems with the vinyl pinstripes on my last vehicle and the PC.... but when ziebart detailed it once along with their rustproofing they flaked sections off with their rotary. I`m thinking maybe using random-orbitals is fine but stay away with a rotary.

BoxsterCharlie
02-16-2005, 06:58 PM
Avoid the stripe edges with a machine, rub in a parallel direction by hand. The Klasse twins work great on them.

-Charlie (`04 EB MCS, white stripes)

benpocock
02-16-2005, 07:09 PM
Thanks guys, I`ll go careful around them.

Ben.

Lowejackson
02-17-2005, 08:12 AM
I would put a layer (eg no pressure) of SRP over the strips and then top with Gloss after an hour or so.