PDA

View Full Version : washing your car duster???

bigsled
02-15-2005, 12:43 PM
i was wondering what you guys thought of washing your car duster... the directions state : " the dirtier the duster gets the better it works", "but you can wash it if you want".... the nap is 1 to 1 1/2 deep, and their is some kind of wax or something on it to pick the dust up instead of smearing it around ( i`m sure you guys know what i`m talking about) if i wash it, wont that take the stuff off that picks up the dust ??? should i just shake it out ?? i dont want to marr the vehicle, the company claims it wont scratch, i think its the same company that makes the california water blade.. thanks

Pats300zx
02-15-2005, 12:47 PM
I have always washed my CCD with Woolite and water. However, I have heard that the dirtier that the CCD gets the better it gets.

togwt
02-15-2005, 02:14 PM
The best known brand (California Car Duster) it can be used to remove pollen or light dust without causing scratches by applying very little surface pressure with the duster, dusting with long strokes in one direction only. Shake the duster occasionally to ensure any particles picked up will drop out rather than come to the surface while your using it.

It important to use the duster only for the removal of dry surface dust, if the vehicle has oily road film, road tar, damp pollen or dust, etc the vehicle surface should be washed

When the duster is first purchased it should be wrapped in newspaper to remove any excess paraffin wax, the duster should not be washed, the dirtier it gets the better it works (I`ve been using mine now for almost five years without it being washed) If its washed you`re left with a cotton mop with a long handel

JonM

doublel
02-15-2005, 02:33 PM
I just don`t get the CCD works better concept and never needs washing. I feel just as safe and comfortable with one of today`s dry plush high quality MF for light dusting. I lay a 16" x 16" towel out flat on horizontal surfaces and with no pressure spin/move it around to suck up the dust in the fibers, then throw the towel in the dirty towel to be washed hamper. That just seems safer than the weight and dirty waxed strands of a CCD. On vertical panels you have use some pressure but it is still less than the CCD.

You may say if you are bothering with a towel than why not use some sort of QD spray with it, and I agree. I am just saying I think a good plush dry MF is just as safe as the CCD, for a real quick dusting.

Thoughts ???

bigsled
02-15-2005, 03:23 PM
i just think its so much easier to use compared to a mf. and you dont have to wash it like a mf according to jon ( thanks) i think the nap is so deep that you have alot less chance marring than a mf if you shake it out