PDA

View Full Version : Returning swirl marks #&$!

Brody
02-15-2005, 10:01 AM
Quick story :)

Bought a black car <- came with swirl marks (!)

Used :

NXT wash,

(got clay though didn`t use it, no need)

Used megs 83 swirl remover (think 83)

Used AIO

Used NXT Wax

All done with the PC,

Came up pretty well, no more swirl marks.

I`ve washed the car once since, with NXT, only used up and down cleaning motions, and now my car is covered with round swirl marks again.

I`m dumbfounded as to how they returned?

Gonzo
02-15-2005, 10:32 AM
You probably never removed them.

Did you work the #83 until it was dusting?

Did you begin with moderate to heavy pressure and then as the product broke down, lighten up on the pressure.

Did you begin with a cutting pad then do the same again with a polishing pad?

Please supply all the details of how you worked the #83 with your PC - pads used, pressure, speed setting, yada, yada, yada. By supplying that information more people will jump in and help you.

tinman
02-20-2005, 05:51 AM
sir Gonzo, when you said that the swirl marks were probably not removed are you implying that Nxt has good swirl hiding-filling characteristics?

Brody
02-20-2005, 08:21 AM
First time round I used the sonus green pad from memory. Used it on speed 4/5 with semi-medium pressure (first time using a PC). Didn`t go until the product was dusting however (perhaps im using too much product, though that would seem to take forever?). As a correction, i Used "swirl remover 2.0", which i do not think it #83?

Ive since redone my car, using the sonus orange pad, has come up better, though I`ll give it a few weeks until the wax starts to thin. If they`re back, looks like I need to alter my methods :)

tinman
02-20-2005, 08:56 AM
there is a high probability that your swirls will return since megs swirl remover 2.0 (aka #9) has lots of fillers. try non-filling polishes instead like 3M MG to name just one

imported_Axe
02-20-2005, 09:30 AM
Yes the orange pad is courser and will help the #83 do its job. If you do as Gonzo suggested, start with the Orange pad work well in, then maybe try again with the less course blue pad. Then finally try your light polish with a polishing pad.

Tinman, I didn`t get the impression that is what Gonzo was saying at all, I think he was suggesting that perhaps the initial technique / pad usage of removing the swirls was flawed.

Gonzo
02-20-2005, 09:34 AM
sir Gonzo, when you said that the swirl marks were probably not removed are you implying that Nxt has good swirl hiding-filling characteristics?

I don`t say that, Meguiar`s does

JeffM
02-20-2005, 09:45 AM
With a black car your wash technique needs to be impecible(sp).

Bill D
02-20-2005, 10:16 AM
Inspecting for swirls using isopropyl alcohol (http://www.web-cars.com/detail/phorum/read.php?f=1&i=19936&t=19913/)

6']['9
02-20-2005, 12:13 PM
i found that 83 doesnt remove swirls IMHO... I dont know how guys can remove swirls with that product :confused: I perfer menzerna or poorboys polishes. You can use something like Machine glaze which i think is a bit better than the DACP, also ssr2.5 works pretty well but you have to go in very small sections. I perfer IP but thats just prefrence with an orange pad and it should remove them go with something like FP or FPII after that and you should be set. The iso/water mix works pretty well

You still have to figure the 83 has TS oils and so does the NXT so im sure the 83 broke down and remove some light marring and the nxt could have filled the rest.

Also how long did you wait til you washed the car.

JaCkaL829
02-20-2005, 12:46 PM
As JBM said, maybe you should go over your car washing techniques. Were your mitts clean? Did you use the two bucket method? I do know Meguiar`s has some oils in their polishes so maybe they weren`t completely removed but filled.