PDA

View Full Version : Vanilla Moose Q

Pages : [1] 2

Jesstzn
02-14-2005, 11:05 PM
Spring is coming soon up here and so is * The Season*and to save me a bunch of searching and to refresh my feable lil brain I have a couple of Vanilla Moose questions.

A lot of my prep after claying and where DACP isn`t needed I rely on #80 and 1 of my questions is will #80 and VM be a viable combo or does VM make #80 redundant?

#2 is what kind of life can I expect from VM as a LSP?

It sure looks nice on my toilet and is holding up well.

TYIA.

D.

Scottwax
02-14-2005, 11:18 PM
Vanilla Moose will polish the paint more finely than #80 does. Sort of like #80 is 600 grit sandpaper and it makes wood very shiny, VM is like 1000 grit and makes the wood even shinier. In addition, VM is a very slick glaze and your LSP will glide on with ease.

VM will protect about 6-8 weeks based on my personal observation.

a.k.a. Patrick
02-14-2005, 11:20 PM
#80 and VM are in different leagues IMO. Your not going to get nearly as good results with VM as you would with 80 for swirls, yet VM will give you some depth that 80 cant, and 80 is hard to beat as a light swirl remover. I just dont think VM has the ability as 80 does for SMR.

Regarding Lsp, never used it as a LSP. It would be great short term, like a week or two, but I wouldnt expect it to provide protection as a carnauba would, I think thats just asking too much of it.

Its obvious Scott and I like the product, but have different expectations of it. Im pretty critical about durability in a product, if it cant make it thru a few washes and still show significant beading, then its just not meant to provide protection. Its real interesting the differing views Scott and I have, this will make for an interesting thread.........

Jesstzn
02-14-2005, 11:21 PM
Scott ty for the quick reply . would FMJ or Woolfgang or #16 be a duration benifit over them then .. depending on color = SLP choise

raymond_ho2002
02-14-2005, 11:23 PM
Hey there,

I`m not experienced yet with #80, so i`ll just answer the 2nd question:

I use vm as a standalone on my car, and I reapply it every 3 - 4 weeks or so. At the end of 4 weeks i don`t think the protection drops too badly, but its filling capabilities diminish a lot by then.

Jesstzn
02-14-2005, 11:24 PM
TY Patrick .. I was looking at using #80 first for the light swirls followed by VM for the gloss/burnish effect. .. and by the sounds of it a topper for durability.

This will be for my brothers car which is a 04 white Sunfire so we are obviously looking for the gloss factor and white needs all the help it can get.

a.k.a. Patrick
02-14-2005, 11:26 PM
Thats my process Jes......Its one of my favorites, although I follow with FS UPP....

Scottwax
02-14-2005, 11:37 PM
Patrick-I`ve only used VM as an LSP a couple times, mostly due to time constraints. I had clayed an Expidition and had polished it with VM when the owner had to leave to pick up her sick daughter at school. It was 6 weeks before I got to wax it and the paint was still somewhat slick and beading okay. I don`t normally use VM then stop.

Dee-#16 rocks over VM.

Jesstzn
02-14-2005, 11:39 PM
Originally posted by a.k.a. Patrick

[B

Its obvious Scott and I like the product, but have different expectations of it. Im pretty critical about durability in a product, if it cant make it thru a few washes and still show significant beading, then its just not meant to provide protection. Its real interesting the differing views Scott and I have, this will make for an interesting thread......... [/B]

Scott may see different durability from the wash ratio alone if its on one of his high end customers cars .. they may be wash once every 2 week by him in that 6/8 week period. Where you might wash as much in 2 weeks ..

Me I wash 3/5 times a week ( my car that is .. me more often ) so VM durability might be a week .

All good points tho

Jesstzn
02-14-2005, 11:45 PM
Scott I like that idea of #16 over it .. My bro is a decent detailer and hard careful worker so Clay/#80/VM/#16 shouldn`t be a strain to do on a Sunfire in a morning.

This won`t happen till late march but I will post pix .. he doesn`t know it yet but I just ordered him a 17 x 7 Wheel and tire package .. not expensive but more than the 195/70/14 and plastic hub caps he has now.

Wheels (http://www.wheelguyz.com/cgi-bin/prodspics/hphurricane.jpg)

Scottwax
02-15-2005, 12:13 AM
Order me some wheels too. Something with less spokes though that is easy to clean. 16`s are enough. ;)

Dave Pickett
02-15-2005, 03:11 AM
Have just got some vm in the UK, seems very thin, seems to go on easy by hand, but i havea pc, could you spread the vm by hand then buff out with the pc?

At the moment i am thinking either #80 or #3 deopending on level of swirls, then vm, and finally EGP or #26 or ex as a topper, am i on the right lines??

ps #3 doesnt seem to buff out as easily as #80 and remains oily/hard to remove do i need to buff out more?

sorry to combine questions, but they seem to fit with this thread around the vm....

Richt
02-15-2005, 03:35 AM
Dave I would go for the EX or carnuba topper on the VM rarther than EGP.

benpocock
02-15-2005, 04:06 AM
Is VM quite an oily product? If so from what I`ve learnt so far you`re going to need a carnauba/wax based topper as a polymer won`t bond it correctly. So that means following it with something like #16, #26 or Souveran rather than EGP or SG.

Am I on the right lines here because I quite fancy getting some VM myself!

Ben

Richt
02-15-2005, 04:13 AM
The polymer based EGP wont bond to it. Carnuba based toppers to it are favoured. I have had good results with #16, Nattys, S100/P21S, CMW. Polymer wise I have topped VM with NXT, ex and Ex-p. But due to the numerous threads on here never bothered to try the EGP.