PDA

View Full Version : Anyone heard of Simoniz???

Pages : [1] 2

chariman miao
02-14-2005, 04:35 PM
I brought a new car and my dealer introduce me to get a Simoniz protection pakage for $395. Does the stuff work and worth it??

gkerr4
02-14-2005, 05:18 PM
i wouldn`t bother - Simoniz is marketed and sold as a `Budget Brand` over here in the UK (i think it is a UK brand)

Their washes are very `chemical`. The waxes are very basic. I guess for the price we would pay here it is OK stuff. I wouldn`t want to pay $395 for it though!!

you could get a lot of "premium" products for that money!

MongooseGA
02-14-2005, 05:39 PM
It`s like a drug.

Just say "No". ;)

togwt
02-14-2005, 05:42 PM
Memory lane with Simoniz, I`m sure its changed since then but back in the day it was a RPITA (thatâ€â„¢s a Royal pain in the ...)

The first car I detailed (circa 1950)was a 1929 Bentley that belong to my Fathers friend Brigadier John Dix of Kensington, London. If, as they say, "God is in the details," then a 1929 Bentley is truly a religious experience. It has always been a relaxing past time for me and while at college I had a part-time business detailing classic vintage cars. I have tried virtually every top product on the market ever since using the arm-breaking SimonizïĢ as well as ChelseaïĢ leather cleaners.

JonM

imported_Axe
02-14-2005, 05:54 PM
Yes I agree with Gkerr4, its cheap and not very good quality

kartoon
02-14-2005, 06:43 PM
It`s funny, when I was detailing my father`s car last year, he kept telling me that I was "simonizing" it. I tried to explain it to him but after a while I just gave up.

Asonyexec
02-14-2005, 07:01 PM
wow, they`re still selling that at dealerships? i thought it had become cliche to sell rust proofing and "paint sealers" at the dealership.

Save your $300 and take it to a professional detailer for that. If it`s a new car it may even cost you a lot less than the $300 if u go to a detail shop.

Eliot Ness
02-14-2005, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by kartoon

It`s funny, when I was detailing my father`s car last year, he kept telling me that I was "simonizing" it. I tried to explain it to him but after a while I just gave up.

"Simoniz" was a popular wax years ago, so many old-timers use the term "Simoniz" for wax like many use the term Kleenex for any brand of tissue.

I think the package that chariman miao is referring to is the "Simoniz System 5" that offers five years of protection:

http://www.simonizusa.com/demoend.asp

To answer the original question, no it isn`t worth it ($395). It will offer some protection, but not for five years. This a system that contains Teflon, which works well when applied via high heat to a cooking surface.

According to G.R. Ansul of DuPont`s Car Care Products, Specialty Products Division, "The addition of a Teflon® flouropolymer resin does nothing to enhance the properties of a car wax. We have no data that indicates the use of Teflon® fluoropolymer resins is beneficial in car waxes, and we have not seen data from other people that supports this position." Manufacturers of gimmicky, over-hyped products sometimes claim that their products contain Teflon®, hoping that the consumer will believe there is something special about that product. Ansul also notes that, "Unless Teflon® is applied at 700 degrees F, it is not a viable ingredient, and is 100 percent useless in protecting the paint`s finish." This is hot enough that your car`s paint (let alone your car) wouldn`t survive.

Here is the link to the above info:

http://waxdepot.safeshopper.com/faq.htm#12

My advice is to maintain your new finish with a high quality wax and/or sealer.

imported_Blake
02-14-2005, 07:44 PM
Simoniz was "THE" car wax in the 50`s and 60`s. It was a tough paste wax that was like a floor wax and was extremely tough to work with. If you put it on too thick or allowed it to dry fully, it would be months before you got back to the original finish. It was quite popular to put it on chrome bumpers or hub caps and leave it un-polished over the winter months. Nothing could penetrate it.

Today it is a bargain brand. The best advice anyway is don`t have dealer installed protection unless you like wasting money.

brdolby
02-14-2005, 08:25 PM
I bought the system 5 for our new Volvo and then I found this web sight .I could have and did end upbuying lots of goodies on this sight .As soon as the weather breaks I plan on using the Klasse twins.Save your money and spend it here. Moose

togwt
02-14-2005, 09:29 PM
Simoniz was "THE" car wax in the 50`s and 60`s. It was a tough paste wax that was like a floor wax and was extremely tough to work with. If you put it on too thick or allowed it to dry fully, it would be months before you got back to the original finish. It was quite popular to put it on chrome bumpers or hub caps and leave it un-polished over the winter months. Nothing could penetrate it.

I seriously think working with Simoniz paste wax was a major contributing factor and the beginnings of my shoulder joint problems (which was `rebuilt` last year)

JonM

VictoryRed
02-14-2005, 09:35 PM
Remember "Rally"? My Dad used it on his `40 ford, won all kinds of car shows, it came in a white tin with green lettering, a white paste.

imported_topnotch
02-14-2005, 11:02 PM
There is detailer in town called Charlie Simoniz and he has all the old cans from way back. You should see what the poor guys hands look like after 20+years of detailing and he still refuses to use a rotary or a pc. I even tried to explain to him to use the pc for his health at this point but to no avail. The funny part is yes the cars look ok when they come out of that shop but nothing like what cars we detail on this board and people rave about him. Somethings I just don`t understand.

lbls1
02-14-2005, 11:14 PM
I remember Simoniz. I did my first car in simoniz back in my college days in `87. Man talk about tough....it took the whole afternoon. But did it shineeee. It didn`t last though. That was the real wax back then. You could not allow that stuff to dry!!!! I also remember back in the seventies when it was a fad statement to leave wax haze on the car for a couple of days, as if it really did something to the car. Probably a few of those cars never looked the same afterwards!!!

I think back now and realize how far things have come and how much has changed. I don`t think the old legendary wax is still with us, but I`d sure like to know how it would stack up to some of the higher carnaubas of today. Wonder would I be surprised?

Accumulator
02-15-2005, 10:53 AM
chariman miao- Welcome to Autopia! All those "wonder treatments" offered by dealers are a rip-off, regardless of the name.

TOGWT and others- Yeah, my mother and her sister (old timer car nuts) always had plenty to say about Simoniz! They must`ve hated it even more than you, or else you`re just more polite about it :D As they told it, when Meguiar`s came out with #16 back in the early `50s it was a real cause for celebration. Heh heh, today people sometimes talk about #16 being tough to use, but 50-some years ago it was the easiest stuff anybody had ever seen that still offered good durability.