PDA

View Full Version : New car and UV protection

Pages : [1] 2

rodeo-clown
11-22-2004, 02:02 PM
I`ll be picking up my new black car this week, and this is what I`ve got planned.

A good wash with Zymol car wash. An application of Klasse All in One then a coat of Pinnacle Souveran.

Does that sound OK to you guys? The car is black. More importantly, as I live in Australia, I`d like to protect the car as much as possible from the harm UV rays. Is the above process a good start?

Beemerboy
11-22-2004, 02:05 PM
That a great start you might also think about a sealant for a bit more protection. You would do this right after the Klasse wait 24 hours then put on the wax

kimwallace
11-22-2004, 02:06 PM
Wlcome to DC
That sounds like a good plan. If the finish feels rough after the wash, I would also clay the areas that need it. A new vehicle should not need anything stronger than AIO unless the dealership makes a mess out of the finish

mynci
11-22-2004, 02:14 PM
That sounds like a good start to me too. :bigups I`d second the notions above though. I would recommend at least spot claying the vehicle and you may want to consider applying a sealant for more protection, especially in the hot Australian sun.

brwill2004
11-22-2004, 02:47 PM
AIO is a great product. I would follow the AIO with something that has UV inhibitors. There is a great new spray on wax called Optimum. It contains the same UV inhibitors that go into automobile clearcoats. I really like this product because it goes on real easy and lasts up to five months. I have yet to verify the 5 month claim, but it seems pretty durable.

rodeo-clown
11-22-2004, 04:58 PM
Thanks for your feedback guys. The general consensus is to definitely apply a sealant after Klasse AIO and before Pinnacle Souveran wax.

Just wondering, what if I skip the sealer the first time I wash, polish and wax? Would applying a sealer later down the track (say 1 month after the first polish and wax) still be effective, or is it highly recommended to do it the first time a car is polished / waxed?

There seems to be some good feedback about Poorboy`s EX-P16 sealant. How is this products UV protection. Would this product fit in nicely with what I currently have :) brwill2004, I wasn`t able to find Optimum on PAC or Autogeek ...?

Eliot Ness
11-22-2004, 05:12 PM
If you wax before SG you`ll have bonding issues, so if you do wax and let it go a month just AIO again before you apply SG (or any other sealer) and you`ll be all set.

EX-P is a good product, very easy to apply and remove, but SG seems to be preferred when longevity is an issue.

The Optimum is sold on TOL:

http://www.topoftheline.com/spray-wax.html

rodeo-clown
11-22-2004, 05:38 PM
Are there any online stores that stock Optimum and provide International shipping?

rodeo-clown
11-22-2004, 10:33 PM
That a great start you might also think about a sealant for a bit more protection. You would do this right after the Klasse wait 24 hours then put on the wax

Thanks for the tip Beemerboy. Just a question about the 24 hour set period. After a good wash, polish and seal, is it OK to drive the car at all, or is it better to keep it away from the elements (be it sun, wind, dust, rain) before the final wax?

I would have thought that the polish and seal is protecting the car a fair bit already, and the final wax is just the sweetener :)

JaredPointer
11-23-2004, 10:10 AM
Thanks for the tip Beemerboy. Just a question about the 24 hour set period. After a good wash, polish and seal, is it OK to drive the car at all, or is it better to keep it away from the elements (be it sun, wind, dust, rain) before the final wax?

I would have thought that the polish and seal is protecting the car a fair bit already, and the final wax is just the sweetener :)

In an ideal world, yes! But this is definitely not practical. As long as the surface is free of any debris before you put the next coat of wax on, you should be good.

Holyghostfilled
11-23-2004, 01:08 PM
I would recommend AIO then 4* UPP then your wax....a Brilliant look and also being in a high temp (AZ) envirnment it will also protect well. I have had no issues of durability...then again it`s only been a month.

Daniel
:ghost

Nickc0844
11-23-2004, 11:26 PM
...and don`t forget about interior UV protection. New vinyl and leather is very dry in a new car, and a product with a lot of moisturizers is very important. Some water-based dressings claim SPF 40, another is at SPF 65.

rodeo-clown
11-30-2004, 08:36 PM
That sounds like a good start to me too. :bigups I`d second the notions above though. I would recommend at least spot claying the vehicle and you may want to consider applying a sealant for more protection, especially in the hot Australian sun.

Ok, so I`ve managed to wash, AIO, SG and wax the car. Looks very nice (although at the moment it is in need of another wash ASAP). On that note, I`ve noticed people mentioning Poorboy`s Spray and Wipe Car Wash. Is this like a quick detailer? i.e. Meguiars?

With regards to claying the car...I didn`t get around to it the first time, but the paint still feels very smooth. Should I be looking to do this in the next few months or so?

sQuashed
11-30-2004, 09:59 PM
I`ve noticed people mentioning Poorboy`s Spray and Wipe Car Wash. Is this like a quick detailer?

It is a waterless wash.. Works awesome on a "not so" dirty car. I use it just about everyday on my Black dust attracting car.. I mean if the car is filthy,dont waste the good stuff !!

Antonio Waxer
12-01-2004, 07:16 AM
New cars don`t need protection from UV ...many sit out on the dealer`s lots for almost a year and are just fine. If you want something for added protection from all the other things in the air then go with a sealant not a wax. Klasse, UPP, or EX-P sound like a good place to start.
I need to order some of this Poorboy`s Spray and Wash everyone talks about...