PDA

View Full Version : New 7424 and Sonus Pads

winterh
02-13-2005, 02:12 PM
Hello from Charleston SC!

I`ve been surfing the Autopia site & forums for some time and have taken the plunge on buying a PC and Sonus Pads.

I am a bit confused however, on what polishes and waxes I should use on a black Dodge Ram. I`ve been using MEGS 3 step deep crystal shine by hand and have not been extremely excited about the results or the exhaustion resulting from going over a large, full-sized quad cab 3 times.

I`ve also noticed that the swirls do not improve using hand polishing with the MEGS stuff.

Please don`t flame me as I have read all of the recommendations on the Autopia site on how to polish with a PC. I just want to make sure I don`t damage my car. My paint seems extremely thin.

The truck is new but has noticable light swirl marks which were present at the dealership.

The goal I have is to reduce the swirls and get that deep black shine without frying the trucks paint.

I`ve seen some before and after pictures on here and I`m hoping to get close to those results.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Hank

JeffM
02-13-2005, 02:30 PM
Dont worry too much about damaging your paint with the PC, its pretty gentle, just use common sense.

As far as the megs 3 step system goes, it works pretty good for what it does.

The second step, or the polish isnt an abrasive polish, but more like a glaze, similar to megs #7 show car glaze.

I like the first step alot. $5 bucks for a paint cleaner, you cant beat it.

Anyways, about the polish. With light swirls i would get Poorboys SSR 1 & 2 & 2.5.

The 2.5 most likely wont be needed at this time, but it is an extremely useful polish to keep handy.

Try the SSR 1 on a light polishing pad on a small section, if that doesnt do it, then use SSR2 with a light polishing pad.

Always start with the least abrasive approach first. Find out what combo will give you the results you are looking for on a small section first, then go to town :)

togwt
02-13-2005, 02:41 PM
Klasse All-In-One (chemical paint cleaner)

Polish-

3M Perfect-It Rubbing Compound -Extra Cut PN-05936 *8/10

3M Perfect-It Rubbing Compound- Fine Cut-PN- 39002- 6/10

3M Perfect-It Swirl Mark Remover-PN39109 Dark-3/10

Note: * relates to abrasiveness / cutting ability of polish

JonM

winterh
02-13-2005, 06:26 PM
I heard great things about the Poor Boys and the 3M dark.

I`ll toss a coin :)

So it`s ok to stay with the Megs 3 step system. Use the paint cleaner, 3M or Poor Boys swirl remover, and the Megs wax.

Sounds reasonable to me.

Thanks much!

Hank

stevet
02-13-2005, 10:22 PM
Originally posted by TOGWT

3M Perfect-It Rubbing Compound -Extra Cut PN-05936 *8/10

Note: * relates to abrasiveness / cutting ability of polish

I would strongly recommend against using Extra Cut RC with a PC.

The truck is new with light swirls. No way you should be using this product on it.

winterh
02-13-2005, 10:27 PM
I was thinking of going light with the SSR1.

Would that be light enough to start out with?

THanks!

Eliot Ness
02-13-2005, 10:41 PM
Originally posted by winterh

Would that be light enough to start out with?......

It may be too light, but it wouldn`t hurt to be safe and try that first. If you`re going to be ordering the SSR`s I`d go ahead and also order some SSR2 and/or SSR2.5. If you don`t need it now it may come in handy later. There is currently a sale going on if this helps:

http://www.premiumautocare.com/posuswre.html

stevet
02-13-2005, 10:43 PM
Originally posted by winterh

Would that be light enough to start out with?

THanks!

You always want to use the least aggressive combo of pads and products that will do the job. You can try SSR1 and see if it works for you. If it doesn`t work than move up to a more aggressive combo until you get the results you want.

winterh
02-13-2005, 11:15 PM
Appreciate it. I`ll buy the lot of SSR polishes and use the least aggressive and see how it works out.

Think I have the bug. Wife thinks I`m crazy as UPS keeps showing up with packages for detailing my truck. (I`ve told her this will continue as I need micro fiber towels and more pads and more...).

R/Hank