PDA

View Full Version : Detailing nut who has some questions..

Pages : [1] 2

02Viggen
02-12-2005, 06:07 PM
Hey everyone, my name is Devin, and I just stumbled across this board from a friend...Well I would like to say great board and there seems to be some great knowledge here..

My question would be I own a 2002 Saab 9-3 Viggen which is Black and I have loved detailing cars for years. Last year I picked up the Porter Cable (PC) Buffer and love it.

Now my questions. I have been using Meguiars 3 stage wax with the gold class wax for the final application. However I am not happy with the results, I feel I could get better. The pads I am using are from Meguiars but they are just the yellow buffing pad and the biege pad.

What would you guys/gals suggest for a good paint cleaner, polish, and wax to use??

Also what other pads should I get for the buffer that will give me better results?

THANKS!!

a couple pics of the car

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/5/web/605000-605999/605228_82_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/5/web/605000-605999/605228_13_full.jpg

jeff5614
02-12-2005, 07:29 PM
Devin, welcome and nice car!

I guess the best answer to your question is that you`ll find out if you hang around very long that your surface prep is more important than your products. Download the ebook and read it well for answers about technique.

As far as products, there are as many opinions as autopians and lots of good choices. Use the search function and you`ll find tons of info, not to mention helpful members with lots of good answers for your questions.

That being said, good paint cleanser - Klasse AIO

Polishes - Einszett, Poorboys SSR`s and others.

Sealants - KSG, EX, WG, UPP, FMJ and Zaino to name a few

Pads - Sonus and Lake Country

Jump in, you`re really gonna like it here.

togwt
02-12-2005, 07:30 PM
:welcome to Autopia 02viggen

Q1: What would you guys/gals suggest for a good paint cleaner, polish, and wax to use??

Klasse All-In-One (chemical paint cleaner)

Polish-

3M Perfect-It Rubbing Compound -Extra Cut PN-05936 *8/10

3M Perfect-It Rubbing Compound- Fine Cut-PN- 39002- 6/10

3M Perfect-It Swirl Mark Remover-PN39009 Light-3/10

3M Perfect-It Swirl Mark Remover-PN39109 Dark-3/10

Wax-P21S Carnauba Wax

Note: * Relates to abrasivness / cutting ability of polish

Q2: Also what other pads should I get for the buffer that will give me better results?

Foam Pad Starter Kit:

1-Polish / Cutting Pad (*Yellow)

1-Polish / Light Cutting Pad (*Orange)

2-Polish / Waxing Pad (*White)

2-Finishing Pad (*Black)

1- Flexible Urethane Backing Plate

*The foam pad colour identifications and specifications are by Lake County Manufacturing (LC) www.lakecountrymfg.com other manufactures of foam pads use a different colour to identify the abrasiveness or cutting ability of their foam pads

JonM

JeffM
02-12-2005, 08:22 PM
Megs has some pads for every situation. If you want to buy someting local, try #83 and #80. Step one of megs 3 step is a decent paint cleaner. NXT looks great.

If you want to try internet stuff.....the list is endless, but give Poorboys and 4* UPP a shot.

White95Max
02-12-2005, 08:53 PM
I`d like to add to the pad recommendation:

Propel Pads available here...

http://www.exceldetail.com

They work as good as any pads that I`ve used, and are a couple bucks cheaper.

Accumulator
02-13-2005, 11:35 AM
02Viggen- What exactly do you want to improve? The main thing I see is that you`re not using any abrasives. The step#1 is a chemical cleaner and the step#2 is a glaze (what Meg`s calls a "pure polish"). Since most cars have some kind of marring (scratches, "swirls", "cobwebs", etc.) an abrasive polish is almost always required. Once you get the paint prepped properly, you can experiment with different waxes/sealants to find something you might like better than the GC.

Guess, I`d say to use some 1z Paint Polish, then some 1Z Metallic Polish or WaxPolish Soft, and top with Souveran. But I`d still like to know what *you* think needs improving.

02Viggen
02-15-2005, 01:30 PM
hello guys, sorry for the delayed reply.

I guess my biggest problem is, being that it is a black car I don`t feel that the products I am using do not remove the minor surface scratches and blemishes that are in the paint.

Also I find that the gold class wax does not last long whatsoever..the paint is extremely smooth for a few days and then it feels like it needs to be waxed again...

So I am just wondering if it is the pads I need to replace or if it is the products..

Accumulator
02-15-2005, 01:33 PM
It`s the pad/product combo that gets the job done (or doesn`t). I`d probably try 3M PI-III RC and MG (05933 and 05937), using polishing pads or even a cutting pad (for the first passes with the 05933) if needed.

There are longer-lasting LSPs than the GC. Meg`s #16 comes to mind.

imported_dpeezy415
02-15-2005, 02:04 PM
Welcome to Autopia. I can tell by how your photos that you care about it looking its best so let me offer you a few suggestions.

Since your paint is in good condition already you probably won`t need a real heavy cut polish so I think Poorboys SSR1 and SSR2.5 would be great. They are very user-friendly and the best thing about it is that you can use it in the sun.

For pads I would suggest visiting Excel Detail. They have the best prices for pads that I`ve found.

Also, PremiumAutoCare.com is having a nice Spring Sale on the Edge 2000 pads. They are DOUBLE sided and the latest and greatest for the PC. It`s actually CHEAPER to buy these if you are going to buy multiple pads.

Oh and if that wasn`t enough the SSRs and other products are also on sale. Check it out and make sure you get your autopia discount and free shipping!!!

Cheers and Happy Detailing!!!

audio1der
02-15-2005, 02:47 PM
As another loyal Meg`s consumer, I`d highly reccomend the #83/#80 route. I just used them for the first time with my new PC on the weekend, and WOW!

As for pads, Sonus, LC or Edge is up to you. The only negative things I`ve heard (or read) about Meg`s pads has to do with durability. If you`re using the PC properly, they should suit you fine.

As for your GC wax not lasting long, that`s the general consensus on that product around here. You`d be better off trying their #26 Hi-tech wax, NXT, or something from another brand.

My $.02

02Viggen
02-16-2005, 10:36 PM
Well after looking through some products of Meguiars I was thinking that I would pick up

Cleaning - Mild Detailing Clay or Fine Cut Cleaner #2

Polish - Machine Glaze #3 or Show Car Glaze #7 or Speed Glaze #80

Wax - Hi-Tec Yellow Wax #26

Which choice would you guys go with and why??

Each will be used with the PC unless the cleaner is the clay

Thanks Guys

MaThGr82
02-16-2005, 11:28 PM
I would go with the Clay, and then #83 or #80 (80 being a little more abraisive), and either #16 or #26. I would say you should pick up a can of #16 since it should be going away soon just so you can use it for a while. I bought 3 cans of it when I found out and will only be using it on my personal vehicles because I love the stuff so much.

02Viggen
02-17-2005, 12:53 PM
anyone else?

sQuashed
02-17-2005, 01:01 PM
Devin, I used many many different combo`s on my Black SS but the combo I kept reaching for was the VM and the EX-P. Meg`s # 80 was my prep of choice too. Good luck and nice Car ya got there !!!

02Viggen
02-17-2005, 01:14 PM
Hey sQuashed, who makes the VM?

and EX-P is Poorboy right?

Thanks