PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations Wanted

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7

baker
02-11-2005, 07:10 PM
Hi all:

Been here for a while, learned a lot. I`m an amateur, but a bit of a perfectionist when it comes to detailing my car. I`ve used most of the common products, such as Maguiars, Zymol, etc. but have never used any of the higher end waxes or sealants. My car is a 2002 Maxima in Sunlit Sand, pale gold, and would like some recommendations as to the best wax or sealant for this color. The paint is in excellent shape with minimal swirls, I`m very careful. I`m not too familar with many of the abbreviations used here so be kind to me, spell the products by the full name. By the way, I`m in Eastern Canada so some of the products may not be available to me. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Don

Eliot Ness
02-11-2005, 07:31 PM
Here is a list of common acronyms used around here that may help you out as you browse through the forums:

http://www.autopia.org/display.php?file=acronyms.htm&s=&menu=8

Chubs
02-11-2005, 07:43 PM
Hi Don nice to see you have found this forum.

I"ve been detailing for over 8 years now and still learning all I can so have fun with all the polishes and waxes. I`m curious to what you mean by high end waxes. To me Meguiars is one of the most widely known products out there along with 3M, Mothers, Auto Glym, Menzerna, Poorboy`s, Klasse, Collinite, and many more I can`t think of. Also most company`s make different lines for different consumers. They will have one line that you will find at Kmart and you local auto parts stores. And then there are the profesional lines that you either have to get by mail order or you might be lucky to have a auto body supplier store that sells these lines. I have yet to be sold on using some of these products that cost $30 or more for a 16oz. bottle of wax. I mainly use Meguiars Poorboys` and Collinite. Meguiars and Poorboys makes some of the best polishes that I`ve used (This is all personal preference also). If your doing this by hand I would try meg`s number 7 show car glaze or number 80 speed glaze or Megs hand polish. You can use both of these by hand or with a orbital dual action polisher (called a PC on here). With Poorboy`s you could use a polish called SSR1 and they have polish with carnuba that works reallly well. One big thing with Poorboys is that you can use them in shade and sun with no problems. Megs new NXT wax is great and easy to use. I haven`t used any Poorboys wax yet but want too. I mainly use collinite`s Super Doublecoat wax. collinite you will have to mail order and they have a web site. I love this wax it has a great durability to it with a great shine and depth. The NX T looks great but I don`t think it lasts as long. I`ve seen pics with Poorboys wax and they just glow. I think I`ve writen enough for now. As I said before these are just my preferences and everyone is entitled to there own. There are alot of great products out there, so find some you like and use them often. ( think that might be a qoute from someone on another forum)

hope this helps and give me a Private message if you need any other help,

Chubs

Frenzy
02-11-2005, 07:44 PM
Paint color is not a factor when choosing a wax. You`ll see a lot of waxes advertise that they "excel on black or red". Basically, black, red, or white surfaces are excellent gauges for how a wax performs. This is because they allow the imperfections (swirls, buildup, discoloration, etc.) to show up immediately.

I will tell you that we designed Waxing Frenzy to bring the best out in your paint. It is one of the only waxes on the market that allows the full spectrum of light to reflect, showing the true color(s). It`s very easy to use and leaves NO SWIRLING!!

a.k.a. Patrick
02-11-2005, 08:36 PM
16oz $22.00, your up there with the best of them......And a side by side with say, UPP or BF would reveal______________________?

Last time i checked the color of a car I was doing, be it black, or red, I always have a particular brand I go to. So to say color is irrelevant when selecting a wax or sealant is wrong IMO.

Frenzy
02-11-2005, 08:44 PM
May I ask what your reasoning is for changing brands according to color? Just curious.

Accumulator
02-11-2005, 09:13 PM
I will tell you that we designed Waxing Frenzy to bring out the best in your paint ...[it] leaves NO SWIRLING!!

Am I missing something here? I should certainly *HOPE* that a wax "leaves no swirling" :eek: If a wax swirled my previously prepped finish I`d be astounded (and quite ticked off).

As for waxes and paint color, I`m the guy who always says "clearcoat is clear", but I do find that certain products just *look better* on certain colors. The subtle differences between various LSPs can make *all* the difference when you`re going for a particular look.

Some products appear to enhance "depth", others give a "richer" appearance, or are "more reflective", etc. etc. And certain colors respond better/worse to these different results.

Which look to go for is a matter of personal preference, but I sure prefer different products on my various cars; even the silver paints seem to respond differently to various LSPs. With identical paint on our two Audis, my wife and I prefer very different looks, which I achieve with different LSPs. And I would expect anybody to prefer a different product on black than on, say, pearl white.

This is all assuming proper prep. IMO the single best thing anyone can do is eliminate as much marring as possible. If you can get it all out without taking off too much paint, you`ll see just how big a difference it really makes.

beastie
02-11-2005, 09:21 PM
I have a light beige 91 LandCruiser with close to 190k on the odometer. I get a lot of compliments on how it looks, they think that its a newer vintage. I used the Klasse twins (All-In-One and Sealant Glaze). I applied 3 coats of Sealant Glaze, the last one about 3 months ago. All I need is a wash to bring it back to sparkling status. This is a pretty good looking beater.

Bobby G
02-14-2005, 12:41 AM
Originally posted by Frenzy

It is one of the only waxes on the market that allows the full spectrum of light to reflect, showing the true color(s).

Pretty bold statement. Where is the proof? What is different about your product?

This would be best answered in the "Ask the Manufacturer" forum area with a complete description of your product.

db

Scottwax
02-14-2005, 12:56 AM

May I ask what your reasoning is for changing brands according to color? Just curious.

My black 626 looks completely different when I use a sealant vs a carnauba based LSP. With sealants, it looks like all the shine and wetness is right on the surface and with carnaubas, the paint look so deep you could put your arm into it.

-----------

To answer the original poster. What are your detailing goals? What kind of look do you prefer? Are you willing to try 2-3 different products to see what you like best? What is an acceptable level of durability?

If you can answer those questions, I think we can all fine tune our suggestions.

RedondoV6
02-14-2005, 01:06 AM
Originally posted by Scottwax

To answer the original poster. What are your detailing goals? What kind of look do you prefer? Are you willing to try 2-3 different products to see what you like best? What is an acceptable level of durability?

If you can answer those questions, I think we can all fine tune our suggestions.

Baker... listen to this advice and answer the questions Scott asks. There are a number of last step products which are excellent in their own right and that are recommended here often, the choice you eventually make will dependant on how you value ease of use, durability and the different looks some of these products offer etc.

Frenzy
02-14-2005, 07:31 AM
To begin with, we use #1 grade white carnauba which (unlike yellow carnaubas) will not leave a light yellow film on your vehicle. We do not use kerosene or terpentine to melt the carnauba, so we are not dealing with the deterring factors with reflection which those chemicals may cause. The solvents that we use are extremely refined. The combinations of our uniquely developed polymers, silicone, and high grade carnauba work together to feed the finish, not just coat it. Our products do not pull paint off of the vehicle. You will not see color on your wax pad or wipe off rag. Our product is designed to protect the clear coat finish, not remove it. Our wax will not "melt" and run down the finish. Waxing Frenzy protects up to 1210 degrees. Once carnauba disipates, the polymers continue to protect. There is no wax buildup, so the finish maintains the depth and shine.

We have high performance boat customers with 30,000 to 100,000 + paint jobs that will use nothing else. These are exposed to the harshest conditions on a regular basis (salt water and sun, high speed, exhaust, high heat, surface to water and air to surface friction). When you can race a boat in 10-12 foot seas and literally rince it clean, imagine what it can do for your car.

NASCAR uses Waxing Frenzy because of its aerodynamic properties. Some of our NASCAR teams have actually picked up speed using it.

We control every aspect of development and manufacturing and, after 10 years of detailing, we know what it takes to get the best results with the least amount of effort.

Not trying to sound like an infomercial, but you asked.

RedondoV6
02-14-2005, 08:41 AM

Not trying to sound like an infomercial, but you asked.

That`s funny, because that is EXACTLY how you sound; like a cheap, sleezy, late night infomercial.

Take your sales pitch, including increasing NASCAR speeds (LMAO) and go whore your wax on your own web site. You are only making yourself look ridiculous here.

Just my 2 cents ... :D

Frenzy
02-14-2005, 08:48 AM
That`s a lot more than 2 cents. I merely answered a question. And, I, unlike the other manufacturers, will put myself out there and take the hits because I can back up all of my claims.

I also offer Autopia members discounts and make myself available to the public.

I knew someone would come back with a comment like that, but, I only answered the question.

Mark Waldron
02-14-2005, 10:46 AM
Kim,

No offense, but I think you shouldn`t be trying to sell your "miracle product" here at Autotopia. We all know there is no "magic bullet" when it comes to detailing supplies and for what you guys are ridicuosly charging for your products, it`s all marketing hype. Your boss must be laughing all the way to the bank and must be proud that he has you as a sales rep pitching his "miracle product" while stuffing his pockets with cash. There`s to many pros that post here that spot this activity and warn the less experienced detailers to avoid companies such as the one you work for.