PDA

View Full Version : Is a tent really needed?

russell336
02-11-2005, 02:38 PM
If one wants to be a mobile detailer, is a tent / canopy really necessary, assuming no shade is found elsewhere?

I know washing in the sun is really that big of an issue but what about claying, waxing or any of the other steps we do to get our cars to look thier best?

While I prefer to work out of my garage, if I do have to go off site, I would rather not have to take the time to set up a tent or some other structure.

a.k.a. Patrick
02-11-2005, 03:13 PM
The EZ up 12x12 is only 10 minutes of time. It more than compensates for the time involved during setup. Come summer,your going to rethink about this thread.......Best (one of) $80.00 i ever spent.....Think of your own health as well as the benefits it provides during polishing and sealing....etc.

The sun will tire you. I had some dizzy spells last summer in Northridge , CA. while doing two cars in the sun. It was rather frightening for me, I attributed it to heat exhaustion, and dehydration after being in that baking Ca sun for 6 hrs...Went to a local Mc`d`s and had some iced tea which got me the 40 miles home in decent condition.....When i got home i about collapsed on bed and didnt wake until the next a.m. The following week i got a EZ up on sale at Kmart for $80.00. And anytime its over 70 and theres no cloud cover, she goes up !

rollman
02-11-2005, 03:14 PM
It will help you with spotting during and after the wash . It will keep the surface of the vechile just a bit cooler ,which helps in applying and removing waxes and sealants. When your detailing on an afternoon when the suns high and the temp is 90+ you`ll wish you had some shade. EZ-Ups don`t take that long to setup .

92MX83
02-11-2005, 10:05 PM
Where does one find this EZ-Up?

Scottwax
02-12-2005, 12:15 AM
:nixweiss I grew up in Phoenix, so working all day in the sun in the Dallas area doesn`t even phase me. I just drink a ton of water all day and wear sunscreen religiously. I can almost always find a shady place to work anyway. I also try to schedule my day so polishing and waxing is done early in the morning or late in the day if I am going to have to work in a sunny spot.

The main problem with tents in my area is the constant wind. Sometimes in the spring especially, you`ll go a week straight with 15-25 mph constant wind velocities. One would certainly make things easier but it just isn`t as practical as I`d hoped in this area.

REX-RACER
02-12-2005, 12:29 AM
I`ve been wondering about this too. Is it true that the Poor Boy`s SSR polishes can be used in the sun? If so are there any sealants/waxes/LSPs that are "sun safe"? I plan to do some detailing at friends/realtives houses this summer and shade could be an issue but I`m not sure folks will appreciated me errecting a canopy in their front yard?

I always make sure to drink a lot of water and Powerade when I`m outside in the heat for a long stretch so that usually isn`t an issue.

Scottwax
02-12-2005, 01:27 AM
Both Poorboy`s and Clearkote products are sun friendly. Still, I wouldn`t polish out a black car at straight up noon on a 105 degree day in the sun.

a.k.a. Patrick
02-12-2005, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by Scottwax

Both Poorboy`s and Clearkote products are sun friendly. Still, I wouldn`t polish out a black car at straight up noon on a 105 degree day in the sun.

Naw, I wouldnt go that extreme either Scott. Truth be told, I use #80 in the sun quite frequently in the cooler months, actually, the last couple months I havent used my EZ up, and have done all polishing in the sun. Working in the sun with products just takes some getting use to. I prefer applying polymers in the sun also. Just not HOT sun.

REX-RACER
02-12-2005, 01:57 AM
Originally posted by a.k.a. Patrick

Naw, I wouldnt go that extreme either Scott. Truth be told, I use #80 in the sun quite frequently in the cooler months, actually, the last couple months I havent used my EZ up, and have done all polishing in the sun. Working in the sun with products just takes some getting use to. I prefer applying polymers in the sun also. Just not HOT sun.

Good info guys, thanx!

So which polymers Patrick? SG maybe? Does direct sunlight affect the cureing process?

I kinda figured working in the sum mayspeed up the curing process but them make removal more difficult if it`s baked on?

Scottwax
02-12-2005, 02:02 AM
I`d go with Poorboy`s EX w/carnauba in the sun. Wipes on and off with ease.

SpoiledMan
02-12-2005, 11:15 AM
I have use the EX`s in the sun on rather HOT days and they go on and come off with ease. Same with the SSR`s and PP. I even had some success with Natty`s.

a.k.a. Patrick
02-12-2005, 11:33 AM
Rex, I have used UPP, BF and EX with great success in the sun. I actually prefer using those prod`s in the sun, its helps tame the oils. Also evens out the oils much better if there exposed to the elements for a little while. Just be selective of temps and surface temps. Dont apply in blistering sun, but dont be afraid to let it cure in the sun for a few after application is completed.

Woob
02-12-2005, 12:07 PM
Adam`s Product also work very well in the sun also. Butter wax I`ve heard can be applied and left on in 100 degree or 40 degree weather without any removal problems.

REX-RACER
02-12-2005, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by a.k.a. Patrick

Rex, I have used UPP, BF and EX with great success in the sun. I actually prefer using those prod`s in the sun, its helps tame the oils. Also evens out the oils much better if there exposed to the elements for a little while. Just be selective of temps and surface temps. Dont apply in blistering sun, but dont be afraid to let it cure in the sun for a few after application is completed.

Thanx Patrick! :xyxthumbs

Good stuff to know heading into my first deatiling summer! :bounce

imported_mirrorfinishman
02-12-2005, 01:07 PM
No. A tent is not really needed.