PDA

View Full Version : Meguiars Gold on top of AIO and SG??

CDiddy
02-09-2005, 03:08 PM
Hey All,

Brand new to the forum. So far it;s been a great resource.

I have a quick question though. My appologies in advance if this has been answered before.

I`m planning on waxing my car this weekend. I`ve previously purchased the Klasse AIO, SG, and Sonus QD. I did a sample test on my trunk lid a few weeks ago, and though it does look good, I wasn`t completely blown away. I know that it is recommended to do several coats of SG, before it "pops", but quite frankly, I don`t really have enough free days to do that. My question is this, would it be beneficial to add a coat of Meguiar`s Gold Class liquid wax, after I apply the AIO and SG? Before finding this site, I always used the Meguiars, and have always been very pleased with the outcome. So I thought maybe adding this instead of multiple layers of SG would be a good idea. I could, of course, be very wrong.

If that`s not a good idea, what about the AIO followed by the Meguiar`s without using the SG. Do you think that would be ok?

Thanks in advance for your help!

stevet
02-09-2005, 03:22 PM
Gold Class is a cleaner wax and will remove some or all of the SG. I wouldn`t use it over the SG. You could use it over AIO but it won`t be nearly as durable as SG. I would get a non cleaning wax to top the SG with. S100/P21S, Megs #16, Megs #26 are just a few examples of waxes that would work well over SG.

vdog0531
02-09-2005, 03:59 PM
the reason you arne`t finding the "pop" you are looking for is because you havn`t prepped the surface at all. follow the basic detailing guidelines of cleaning, polishing, protecting and perfecting. wash, clay, polish, seal, wax. as stated before, gold class is not a good choice for a topper. i would DEFINATELY clay and polish, then use aio and sg and top it with a carnuaba if you aren`t satisfied with the look. i think once you do some claying and polishing, you will be much happier with the way SG looks.

Vernon

imported_dpeezy415
02-09-2005, 04:05 PM
You could put the most expensive and the best sealants/waxes on a car and it wouldn`t BLING if the paint wasn`t properly prepped and polished.

On the flip side, you could put Turtle Wax:scared or Nu Finish :nono on a new car and it would look great.

The key is PREParation. A LSP (Last Step Product) will only amplify the imperfections in the paint whether it be scratches, swirls or holograms, so removing them or minimizing them first will be your best bet....

I`m assuming you don`t have a PC so I would look to HIDE the swirls with a glaze or polish with fillers.

I won`t make product recommendations for different reasons but just search `glazes and fillers` and you`ll find something worth using.

The AIO/SG you have is enough to try. For now ;) .

Good luck and Happy Detailing!!!

MongooseGA
02-09-2005, 04:11 PM
I would also reccomend the proper prep (claying, polishing) and then a good carnuba topper. What color is your car and where are you located?

CDiddy
02-09-2005, 04:16 PM
I appreciate all of your responses.

It was my impression (keep in mind that I am the definition of a noobie when it comes to detailing), that the AIO was a polish and a sealant. Therefore, I assumed that I wouldn`t need a separate polishing step.

Also, I didn`t clay bar on the test run, because the car is virtually brand new. I know I should have, but because it was just a test, I didn`t do it.

And no, I do not have a PC. I have a cheapo Coleman orbital buffer, but wasn`t planning on using it.

The steps I was planning on taking were the following:

1) Wash!

2) Clay

3) AIO

4) SG

5) Meg #26

Do you think that this would be shortcutting? Or do you think that this process would provide the look that I am going for?

Thanks again for all your help.

EDIT: to answer the last posters questions:

1) the car is a silverish grey.

2) I`m in Denver. Car is parked in a garage both during the day and at night.

hirosh
02-09-2005, 04:42 PM
from my understanding, AIO is more of a polish that provides some protection. and it is more of a chemical cleaner, meaning it will remove oxidation but won`t do much on swirls.

but your steps look fine. if the paint doesn`t have any swirls or scratches, you should be fine. if it does, then you might want to add a polishing step to remove any swirls/scratches.

does your silverish grey have metallics? i think most do. anyways, if it does have metallics, i would highly recommend doing at least 3 coats of SG as that would really make the metallics pop. you might want to try this Wipe On, Wipe Off method to make applying and removing SG easier:

http://autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30989&highlight=Wipe+On+Wipe+Off

remember to wait 24 hours between coats to let the SG cure. that also applies to topping the AIO/SG with a wax. so if you were to put the #26 on, you would have to do it the following day.

but if you don`t have time, you could always apply another coat a week later, just be sure to wash your car before you do. it is kinda time consuming, but the end result is worth it, IMO.

good luck. :wavey