PDA

View Full Version : How do I protect NON-clearcoated wheels?

Pages : [1] 2

ritz
02-09-2005, 12:01 AM
Hello everyone. As you all can see I`m new here, but I`ve been browsing for sometime. Now I`m in a dilemma.

I`ve recently purchased 17x9.5/18x10.5 Polished Z06 wheels for my TA. Well today when I received the wheels I saw that they were not clear coated. Now I`ve searched and searched, but it seems that most people have clearcoated wheels, so I didn`t really get the answer I was looking for.

I want to know if there is ANYTHING I can put on them to protect them from the elements/brake dust/etc and what would be the best? I was thinking of the Collinite Insulator Wax I would really like to not have to polish these wheels every week and what not because they don`t have a clearcoat applied.

Here`s the wheels for reference. Excuse the crappy pics it was just a quick snapshot.

http://s04.imagehost.org/1861/zo62.jpg

All help is appreciated.

Joe

White95Max
02-09-2005, 12:10 AM
I would protect them with a durable sealant like Klasse SG or WG. The WG claims to be very durable in high-heat conditions.

The Collinite would probably be a good choice too.

Beautiful wheels by the way. :up

ritz
02-09-2005, 12:21 AM
Thank you sir. I``m very excited about them, but I wanna keep them looking new. :)

I read some people use AIO then the Collinite. Does AIO actually "polish" the wheels and should I even polish them since they are brand new or should I just apply something to seal them now.

I plan on trying to seal them before I install them.

White95Max
02-09-2005, 12:42 AM
I would use AIO on them right away before applying the sealant or Collinite. AIO won`t hurt anything, and it can only improve the look of the wheel.

I`d put several layers of whatever LSP on there before installing them. I have new (new to me) 17s coming this weekend, and I plan to polish them, then AIO, then Wolfgang sealant x5.

ritz
02-09-2005, 12:47 AM
May I ask what you`re using to polish them? Sorry all this "real" car care stuff is new to me. I`ve had my TA for almost a year now, but I haven`t really had a car with a finish like my current car`s finish and I`d like to try and maintain it with good things other than what`s available at a local autoparts store.

White95Max
02-09-2005, 12:58 AM
I`ll be using either Pinnacle Swirl Remover, or 3M Perfect-It III Machine Glaze.

These will be applied by hand.

imported_Burlyq
02-09-2005, 01:08 AM
Mothers then Z2!!

Jesstzn
02-09-2005, 11:20 AM
I used Menzerna FP on new non-clearted wheels then AIO/SG or Nu-Finish .. BUT ... and a big BUT!!! no matter what you use to protect/polish use a very soft M/F cloth as you can scratch them very easily with anything like diapers or bath towels.

Another key is once on the car .. keep them washed regularly so your not in a scrubbing situation that will cause marring.

MattZ28
02-09-2005, 11:24 AM
I wouldn`t use a carnauba on wheels...it has a low melting point and won`t last long. Use something like AIO to clean/protect, and a synthetic to protect even further.

ritz
02-09-2005, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Jesstzn

I used Menzerna FP on new non-clearted wheels then AIO/SG or Nu-Finish .. BUT ... and a big BUT!!! no matter what you use to protect/polish use a very soft M/F cloth as you can scratch them very easily with anything like diapers or bath towels.

Another key is once on the car .. keep them washed regularly so your not in a scrubbing situation that will cause marring.

Could you possibly suggest a good MF cloth and where I could buy it? Thanks in advance.

Originally posted by MattZ28

I wouldn`t use a carnauba on wheels...it has a low melting point and won`t last long. Use something like AIO to clean/protect, and a synthetic to protect even further.

Would AIO then the Collinite Insulator Wax be a good combo since the Collinite shows to be good for high heat situations.

White95Max
02-09-2005, 12:02 PM
I get all of my high-quality MFs from Excel Detail.

http://www.exceldetail.com

You can contact member a.k.a. Patrick with any questions.

imported_flatstick
02-09-2005, 12:12 PM
my vote would be AIO then collinite, stuff is very durable. just my input .I am sure you will have a few options from other members

ritz
02-09-2005, 10:24 PM
I just wanted to thank you all for your input. I knew I`d get some different opinions, but I`ve read that quite a few people use AIO then Collinite on wheels and it holds up. I`m probably just gonna go with that.

But back to another question. Since they are indeed brand new should I polish them before hand? I mean they haven`t even been outside of the box for more than 15 minutes.

Is AIO an actual polish or what?

Still learning. :)

Jesstzn
02-09-2005, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by ritz

Is AIO an actual polish or what?

Still learning. :)

AIO is Klasse All In One and is more of a chemical cleaner ... and yes apply the protectant before you put them on the car .. its a lot easier than sitting on the ground doing it.

I did mine off the car in the shop up on the work mate .. AIO x 1 and Klasse SG x 4 .. they haven`t even been on the car yet.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v499/JessTzn/Dsc01195.jpg

ritz
02-09-2005, 10:34 PM
Very nice wheels I must say. My fiance is in dire need of wheels for her 04 Golf.

Ok so what do you guys think about this. Polish the wheels with mothers billet, apply AIO, then collinite. I know some people have different opinions on what to use, but does that seem like a good combo.

Like I said I`ve never used products like this, so I`m not sure what does what. I don`t want to polish my wheels with Mothers if the AIO is going to do the same thing and what not.