PDA

View Full Version : Dry Leather

mdsmithers
02-08-2005, 08:41 PM
I have a 2002 Black Maxima with Black Leather seats, heated if that matters ;) . Anyway, I just bought this car, it`s clean inside, but I`ve noticed that the leather, in places, is pretty dry. I`ve been using this (http://www.meguiars.com/store_meguiars/product_detailpage.cfm?sku=G-72&store=meg) in my other car before this one. I`ve read that there are different kinds of leather, anyone know about the Max? What can I do to improve the condition of the leather? The meg`s is a fine cleaner, but I`m wondering if there is something better to condition it.

Thanks all.

truvette
02-08-2005, 10:01 PM
I highly recommend Zaino Z-10. It`s the perfect solution for all leather needs. It conditions leather quite nicely without leaving a greasy or tacky finish. The smell is absolutely wonderful and leaves your car smelling like new once again.

RedondoV6
02-08-2005, 10:10 PM
I`m fairly sure the max is coated leather, but test it yourself by dropping a few drops of water on the seat.... if the water just stands there in beads or runs off you have coated/painted leather .... if the water wets the leather and leaves a darker spot while it drys your leather is Aniline/natural leather.

If you do have a natural leather, leatherique conditioner is a very good choice for dry or neglected leather. IMHO if you have coated/painted leather the leatherique conditioner is just too rich (it will just sit on top of the vinyl layer painted on the surface of the leather) better to use 303 or one of the many lighter lotion type leather conditioner like Zaino Z10, lexol etc.

TW85 HHI
02-08-2005, 10:14 PM
Four Star and Z10 are good leather conditioners, as is Lexol.

Steve530
02-08-2005, 11:09 PM
I agree with Mike. Leatherique is the best choice for uncoated leather. It is messy and difficult to apply and very expensive. But nothing else even comes close to conditioning the leather.

If you have coated leather, I don`t know that anything is going to condition the leather.

mdsmithers
02-08-2005, 11:11 PM
The test reveals that I have coated/painted leather.

Thanks all

Scottwax
02-08-2005, 11:20 PM
Turtle Wax has a great leather conditioner that is great on treated and untreated leather. Soaks in quickly, leaves a very light sheen and since it is a thin liquid, it won`t clog the holes in ventilated seats.

Alfisti
02-09-2005, 08:12 AM
mdsmithers, what do you mean the leather is dry in certain areas?

How do you know? How does the rest look?

I ask because, even if your leather is finished (coated), if it dries enough, micro-fissures in the urethane coating will allow *real* nourishing leather food, like Leatherique to penetrate and restore the dry patches.

Quite simply, (as long as the leather can absorb it, due its condition, or natural state) Leatherique (click here) (http://www.leatherique.com/) is the best leather restorer in the world. Period!

togwt
02-09-2005, 09:36 AM
Originally posted by Alfisti

mdsmithers, what do you mean the leather is dry in certain areas?

How do you know? How does the rest look?

I ask because, even if your leather is finished (coated), if it dries enough, micro-fissures in the urethane coating will allow *real* nourishing leather food, like Leatherique to penetrate and restore the dry patches.

Quite simply, (as long as the leather can absorb it, due its condition, or natural state) Leatherique (click here) (http://www.leatherique.com/) is the best leather restorer in the world. Period!

:xyxthumbs

Just like the oils in a polish penetrate the clear coat to the colour coat underneath.

That a covered leather doesn`t allow leather conditioning oils to penetrate is a myth,which if believed will result in dryed out and cracked leather

JonM

mdsmithers
02-09-2005, 10:50 AM
It`s not cracked, but seems brittle and bumpy. My theory is that the sunroof was open most of the time and perhaps this part of the passenger seat experienced some extended periods of sunlight. I`ll try to take a picture tonight, so you can see what I`m talking about.

mdsmithers
02-09-2005, 09:33 PM
:eek:

togwt
02-10-2005, 11:18 AM
IMO its just dry (it may have lost some colour (dye) but that`s hard to tell fro a photograph, try `alfisi` suggestion and if needs be a leather dye can be purchased from the same company (Leatherique)

JonM

Scottwax
02-10-2005, 12:41 PM
That is very typical of Nissan leather. I see it regularly. Leather conditioners do help, but the leather will still seem a bit hard.

brokentelephone
02-10-2005, 03:18 PM
you could use the whole leatherique system to refinish it. i presume that would make it softer.... i think TOGWT can offer a LOT of info on this process, or search for it