PDA

View Full Version : Sfp...

Clean Dean
02-08-2005, 05:54 PM
I have received numerous e-mail from detailers and enthusiast that claim that they do not get great results with Meguiars #80 and #82. I believe that the reasons that they do not get the results they want are because of 2 reasons.

1. They are simply not working the product enough.

2. The use of these products are more geared for the rotary as opposed to a cyclo or a PC (I state this because I have used these products with all 3 tools ). I do believe that results can be acheived with a cyclo or PC, but it will take a tremendous amount of time and effort to level the surface with these tools.

Here is an example of swirl free polish used on a 1997 Metalic Blue BMW 740I. I worked #82 for approximately 3-5 minutes on a 2.5 X2.5` sections with an Edge Green Pad and the rotary set at 1500 rpms.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v307/cleandean/Dsc04200.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v307/cleandean/Dsc04201.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v307/cleandean/Dsc04204.jpg

stilez
02-08-2005, 06:17 PM
Ditto the comment in your sig.

Looks brand new. I find the same thing as well. I work til about translucent and then remove.

Jngrbrdman
02-08-2005, 06:41 PM
I agree that people are probably not using #82 properly. I also agree that people should stop saying that swirls can`t be removed with a PC. I did this with #83 and a PC and I think the results are clear.

http://www.ocdetails.com/assets/images/Swirlsb4after.jpg

Those are great before/after shots you posted. Thanks for those. That is exactly the kind of stuff that the naysayers need to see. :bigups

Scottwax
02-08-2005, 07:42 PM
#82 was my main swirl remover until #80 came out. Even by hand, I had excellent results and even better via PC. You are right it does have to be worked for a while to completely break down the abrasives.

I`ve switched to #80 because it has a touch more bite and I like the super wet finish it leaves.

safetyman2010
02-08-2005, 08:49 PM
Looks good. Using the product properly makes a huge difference.

EBPcivicsi
02-08-2005, 09:04 PM
Great pics Dean!!

IMHO, the entire Meguiars professional line excells when used with the rotary. When I started using and understanding the art of the rotary I had a whole new appreciation for the Meguiars line of polishes.

spotpad
02-08-2005, 09:12 PM
Is #82 Swirl Free Polish more abrasive than Menzerna FPII? No fillers too, right?

imported_flatstick
02-08-2005, 09:14 PM
Clean Dean, that is a great post. could not agree more. do not always blame the product if you do not get the results you wanted. like many things in hobbies and sports technique + knowledge usually equals success.IMO that is the reason to post here and see if you might be doing something wrong. as the old saying goes " you learn something new everyday"

6']['9
02-09-2005, 10:46 PM
you did that for 3-5 minutes @1500 rpms. I find that if i work in the SFP after about 45seconds it starts gumming up. I tried this with a polishing/finishing pad so now what.

Clean Dean
02-09-2005, 11:17 PM
#82 Gumming up? I never had that problem. Are you using a rotary or PC/Cyclo ? What pad combo?

Scottwax: I love DACP on lighter finishes. I recently had a conversation w/ Anthony Orosco about the fact that certain compounds/polishes work better for some than others. He

get absolutely amazing results with the Menzena Line, and I have not had the same results he acheives with that line.

Jngrbrdman : Great job . Crystal !!!!

merci... Between DACP an #9.

ebpcivicsi ... We share in our enthusiasm for Meg`s polishes.

GSRstilez... THanks !!

stilez
02-10-2005, 08:54 AM
Interesting Dean, I heart Menzerna polishes.

Great results over and over again. I think it may have to do with buffing style.

6']['9
02-10-2005, 06:13 PM
rotory @ 1500 rpms same application as you. Megs polishing pad on bc/cc paint. I cant seem to work it longer than a minute before it cakes up and its pretty hard to remove. When i use it with a PC i had the same problem with a megs pad on speed 5

EBPcivicsi
02-10-2005, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by 6`][`9

rotory @ 1500 rpms same application as you. Megs polishing pad on bc/cc paint. I cant seem to work it longer than a minute before it cakes up and its pretty hard to remove. When i use it with a PC i had the same problem with a megs pad on speed 5

In the summer? Mine is a finicky in the summer as well. Humidity seems to adversly effect the SFP......

Clean Dean
02-10-2005, 08:25 PM
I am detailing indoors until the spring (mid- March) 60 degrees with no humidity. This can definitely be a factor.

BTW... The weather has been improving up here !!! 45 to 50 degrees this week !!! I cannot wait until spring !!!