PDA

View Full Version : Wheel Haze Help

FryeBaby
02-08-2005, 01:17 PM
I messed up my wheels on my 2000 Dodge 1500 Quad Cab. They are what looks like brushed aluminum with three spokes. They were the upgrade wheels when I bought my truck. I used I think Westly`s wheel cleaner on them before I was an Autopian and I hazed them or something. When I clean them and then wipe with AIO they look good but there is places that look hazy, or like streaked like SG does on your paint sometimes. Does anyone have suggestions for getting this out? I have thought of using polish with my PC but I didn`t want to try it without asking my fellow Autopians. I have the Merzerna twins, DACP and Speed Glaze, and all of the 1Z polishes. Would any of these be safe to try? Thanks for the help, Wes

Accumulator
02-08-2005, 01:28 PM
You can try the polishes, but in my experience once you`ve done that kind of damage it`s permanent :( My wife`s A8 has that sort of hazing on the "machined finish" wheels and there`s nothing I can do about it.

As far as the polishes being safe, *generally* (yeah, that`s a disclaimer ;) ) the clear on wheels is tougher than the clear on the vehicle proper.

FryeBaby
02-08-2005, 04:05 PM
Accumulator, thanks for the advice. I have nothing to lose so I will give it a try with a small polishing pad and one of my polishes. Wes

Jesstzn
02-08-2005, 06:23 PM
fryebaby are these wheels clear coated? Or bare aluminum?

FryeBaby
02-09-2005, 07:48 AM
Jesstzn, I am not sure, they are the upgraded wheels for the Dodge Ram. I would think they might be clear coated but I`m not sure. Wes

Jesstzn
02-09-2005, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by fryebaby

Jesstzn, I am not sure, they are the upgraded wheels for the Dodge Ram. I would think they might be clear coated but I`m not sure. Wes

If you rub them with a cleaner wax do you get black on the cloth?

jnmttu
02-09-2005, 11:31 AM
I have this problem on the clearcoated wheels on my `91 Accord. Mine is just due to age, no chemicals involved. I have to polish the wheels about once every 3 or 4 months to remove the haze. The haze will disappear for about 3 months and then it is time to do it again. I bought new wheels to solve the problem on two that were just too far gone. Now i just keep them clean and always have a coat of wax on them. I have to use a fairly aggressive polish to get the haze off. Hope this helps some.

FryeBaby
02-09-2005, 12:13 PM
Jesstzn, I have not tried a cleaner wax. I use AIO on them but there is no black on the applicator when I apply the AIO. I am going to try a more aggressive approach. Maybe I will try a cleaner wax, I have Meg`s #66, and Meg`s ColorX. If these cleaner waxes don`t work I guess I will try polishes.

Jnmttu, thanks for the reply. What kind of polish do you use on your Accord`s wheels? Thanks, Wes

Jesstzn
02-09-2005, 12:43 PM
fry if you have tried AIO and no black its pretty safe to say they are cleared. :)

FryeBaby
02-09-2005, 02:04 PM
Jesstzn, so that means anything safe for paint is safe on the wheels right? Maybe I just hazed the clear coat and if I remove the hazed layer they will look good again. I have alot of cleaner waxes and polishes to try on it. I will use my PC with a small polishing pad and see what happens. Thanks, Wes