PDA

View Full Version : Sealant then wax or vice-versa?

benpocock
02-08-2005, 11:22 AM
OK so I`m starting to get confused now. With all the talk of sealants and waxes my brain is going into overload and I`m starting to tie myself up in knots!

Quite simply, what comes first after you`ve cleaned the paint with something like SSR2 then AIO? The sealant or the wax?

For example, I would class Autoglym EGP as a sealant and put in on as a final step (i.e after SRP or #26), yet some people apply EX/EX-P (both sealants, right?) and then put Natty`s (which is most definitely a wax) over the top of that! So what`s the right way of doing it? Or isn`t there one? Also, where does #20 fit in the Megs range? Would you put that on last or wax over the top of it with say #16 or #26? :nixweiss

I did have a search but as you can imagine searching for "sealant" and "wax" bought back a few thousand answers!

Here`s hoping someone can put my mind at ease!

Ben

raymond_ho2002
02-08-2005, 11:36 AM
sealant first, then wax. wax is optional.

people can apply either ex or ex-p, or both, but not in a single session.

RedondoV6
02-08-2005, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by raymond_ho2002

sealant first, then wax. wax is optional.

:xyxthumbs :xyxthumbs :xyxthumbs

togwt
02-08-2005, 12:01 PM
Carnauba wax will bond to a cross-linked polymer sealant, conversely if a polymer is applied on top of a Carnauba wax it will not bond due to the oil content of the wax.

JonM

benpocock
02-08-2005, 12:13 PM
Cheers guys that`s made me see straight! However, one more question:

Taking on board what JonM says, would I be best to use something like SSR2 as a cleaner rather than #9, as obviously #9 has quite a lot of oils in it that a sealant (such as #20 or EX-P) won`t bond to?

I think what I`m trying to say is; in my garage so far I have #9, #7 and #26 which I use in that order. If I wanted to add a sealant as well (let`s say Megs #20 for arguments sake), where would you put it and would that necessitate changing any of the other products due to possible bonding issues?

There` so much information on this site and I just don`t have the cognitive capacity to take it all in!:shocked

Ben

RedondoV6
02-08-2005, 12:16 PM
If you are going to apply a sealant, I prefer to use a filler free polish such as the PB`s SSR`s, Menzerna or 3M PI-III RC and MG.

If you do go with a polish which contains lot sof oils, fillers or waxes, rub down before applying the sealant with a 50/50 IPA/water solution to clean the paint.

Good luck!