PDA

View Full Version : I tried something new ...

Gonzo
02-07-2005, 08:36 AM
... this weekend. Washed with NXT shampoo, wet clayed, washed again with NXT shampoo, AIO`ed and, for the first time, put a layer of EX-P on the wife`s new CRV - pewter metallic. It came out extremely shiney and slick. Needless to say she was happy with it.

Now some noob EX-P questions.

a) Was the AIO step necessary? It didn`t seem to "hurt" the final results.

b) Can layers of EX-P be built up or will it clean itself off? Will SG adhere to EX-P? Can EX-P layer over SG.

c) Any studies done comparing longevity of EX-P with, say the K twins?

Great shine and slickness approaching UPP - I like it so far.

If there was any "downside", applying with a damp 4" foamie, it was hard to get a thin layer, because after a while the foamie seemed to "clog up some" and didn`t want to suck up any more water - which I got around by wetting the back side, but even this didn`t appear especially effective. Any "thinning" advice would be appreciated (you know, like applying AIO with a foamie primed with EO W&S)

Thanks

stevet
02-07-2005, 09:00 AM
You found EX-P to be slick? Many people including myself find EX-P to be lacking in the slickness department. The little slickness it does have disappears after the first wash.

There are many comments about it`s lack of durability. EX-P was undetectable on my car after one wash. I was very disappionted in the durability. Comparing it to Klasse SG for durability? No contest, they are not even close.

Was AIO necessary? I don`t know the condition of the paint before you applied EX-P. If it needed a good cleaning than AIO is a great choice. I`m not aware of any product that AIO is not a good base for.

Is EX-P layerable? IMO no. When I use it on single stage paint it removes a lot of paint. My app looks like it does when I use a pre cleaner, a lot of paint transfer. I don`t see how you can layer a product that does this.

There is a new EX-P. I think it`s called EX-P Plus or something. It might be better than the original version.

Eliot Ness
02-07-2005, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by Gonzo

a) Was the AIO step necessary? It didn`t seem to "hurt" the final results.

b) Can layers of EX-P be built up or will it clean itself off? Will SG adhere to EX-P? Can EX-P layer over SG.

c) Any studies done comparing longevity of EX-P with, say the K twins?..........

If there was any "downside", applying with a damp 4" foamie, it was hard to get a thin layer, because after a while the foamie seemed to "clog up some" and didn`t want to suck up any more water - which I got around by wetting the back side, but even this didn`t appear especially effective. Any "thinning" advice would be appreciated (you know, like applying AIO with a foamie primed with EO W&S)......

A. As Stevet mentioned AIO is a good cleaner/prep for almost any product, just depends on the condition of your paint. I like VM (Vanilla Moose) as a prep for EX-P also.

B. I usually apply a second layer to at least help ensure complete coverage (wait 12-24 hours). Some have reported that EX-P does layer, while Stevet`s experience on SS paint would dispute that claim. Stevet, did you notice paint transfer on a 2nd coat after the first one cured (just curious)?

I don`t know about putting SG over EX-P, I don`t think I would. I have read where some believe UPP (sealant) bonds over SG, but I have not personally topped a sealer with a sealer. I often top sealers with a carnauba, but once that is done a sealer will not bond.

C. SG will last longer than the current version of EX-P, especially when you put on more than one coat of SG. There is a newer version called EX-P+ that is supposed to have more gloss and last longer. I believe it will be released sometime this spring (I have a sample but weather hasn`t given me a chance to try it out yet).

The first time I applied EX-P I used a damp foam pad like you used, but I think it would have been easier using a pad such as this:

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/vk-101.html

Since then I always apply with the PC and a finish pad because I find it much easier to apply a thin coat that way. I just mist it with a little distilled water before application. HTH

stevet
02-07-2005, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Eliot Ness

B. I usually apply a second layer to at least help ensure complete coverage (wait 12-24 hours). Some have reported that EX-P does layer, while Stevet`s experience on SS paint would dispute that claim. Stevet, did you notice paint transfer on a 2nd coat after the first one cured (just curious)?

Yes, I did have paint transfer when I applied a second coat over a cured first coat.

Also had paint transfer when I applied EX-P over cured SG on single stage paint.

BTW I was using Megs foam apps for application.

Poorboy`s is comming out with EX-P+ because the original EX-P is lacking in many areas compared to other sealants.

Not very slick.

IMO can`t be layered.

Terrible beading. Sheets water. This might be a positive depending how you look at it.

Not very durable.

pyropoptrt
02-08-2005, 01:52 AM
Not very slick.

IMO can`t be layered.

Terrible beading. Sheets water. This might be a positive depending how you look at it.

Not very durable.

I have had the total opposite with ex-p. :nixweiss

SVR
02-08-2005, 05:10 AM
EX-P Rocks IMO

Great on glass, quite layerable and a EXP & Wolfgang combo is killer.

Agree with you about slickness though. That`s where WG comes in

In most cases I top an acrylic sealant such as SG with a super or regular polymer sealant

UPP after SG is another of my favourites

Since clay removes polymer sealants when your removing fallout etc, I always try and convince my customers into having their car`s paint klassed.

Hope EXP + is a step up in quality

Will experiment with FMJ and other sealants too.

Of course there are some regular polymer sealants that can`t be layered.