PDA

View Full Version : cold water on a hot rim

III
02-04-2005, 04:02 PM
I was just curious as to what actually happens when people go through automatic car washes when their rims are hot to the touch? After driving a vehicle on a warm day, I see people going through car washes and I can only assume that the rims are hot.

Does this affect the brake pads/parts more than the actual rim itself?

ChippsAChoi
02-04-2005, 04:30 PM
Not too sure about the rims, but you can warp your rotors.

the other pc
02-04-2005, 05:21 PM
I wouldn`t think it`s much of a problem. You don`t usually come screaming into a carwash just off the high banks of Talladega with your rotors glowing red. By the time they get you hooked up and into the tunnel you`ll probably be cooled off enough to avoid warping. (Unless your rotors always warp anyway. Then you`re sol from the get-go.)

As for the rims, I would think the big problems come when you spray a concentrated cleaner directly on a hot rim. Again, at a carwash there will be some time to cool but mainly they whole car will be drenched in a dilute wash solution. The large volume of water will cool the rims quickly and the low concentration of detergent is less likely to have an adverse reaction.

Besides, in wash tunnel the rims are the least of your worries.

PC.

Roadster J
02-04-2005, 05:38 PM
I agree with PC. I think the cautions about hot or even warm wheels has to do more with the heat drying out a concentrated product, potentially with a very low or high pH, before you have a chance to remove it. I donâ€â„¢t think the water would cause some type of thermal shock. After all I donâ€â„¢t recall any warnings about not using your brakes in the rain because you might drive into a puddle while the brakes are still hot.

III
02-04-2005, 08:05 PM
Originally posted by Zab

After all I donâ€â„¢t recall any warnings about not using your brakes in the rain because you might drive into a puddle while the brakes are still hot.

Yeah, I was thinking about this exact thing after I wrote my original post.