PDA

View Full Version : Actual swirl removal?

nailzer
02-04-2005, 12:10 PM
I`ve been reading about swirl removal and I`m getting very confused. Is there a product that actually removes, erases, or changed swirl marks? Everything I read about Meguiar`s is that their products "fill", not remove. I had a pro mobile detailer at my house and he tried with a rotary but had no success. I believe he was using a Poorboys product. At this point I`m "happy" with what I`ve done with my PC and AIO topped with P21S, but in direct sun the swirls still exist.

Eliot Ness
02-04-2005, 12:46 PM
You need to use an abrasive polish to remove or lessen swirls and other paint defects. The degree of abrasiveness required is determined by the severity of your defects and the hardness of your paint.

As far as Megâ€â„¢s containing fillers, well that is not exactly the case. Some do contain fillers, but the polishes used most often here (#83 and #80) will remove defects, but also contain some oils to lube the polish process and enhance surface gloss. I guess I should add that there is an ongoing debate on whether these oils are considered fillers or not. While the oils may hide some minor defects not removed, if in doubt just spray a 50/50 mix of water/isopropyl rubbing alcohol to remove any remaining oils to verify all defects were removed.

Three common polish combos that are fairly popular and have worked well for me are the following:

3M PI III RC (rubbing compound) followed by 3M PI III MG (machine glaze)

Megâ€â„¢s #83 (DACP) Followed by #80 (speed glaze)

Poorboyâ€â„¢s SSR2.5 and followed by SSR1

A red flag does pop up when you mention that a pro detailer with a rotary was not able to correct your paint. You didnâ€â„¢t mention what type car/paint you have or if the detailer told you why he was unable to remove the swirls (were they too severe, clear coat too thin, did you request they be removed, or just paid for a quick wax, etc., etc.).

JustinR32
02-04-2005, 01:34 PM
The Meg`s polishes will BOTH remove defects AND fill. Whether they do one, the other, both, or neither depends on the skill of the user. There are other products that some find easier to use and that they believe give excellent results; Poorboys` SSRs, the Menzernas, etc. I`m not one to argue with a shiny car. If the car looks great, the polish works.

I`ve used Meguiar`s and the Menzernas, and I think that they are both great. I have the SSRs, but I haven`t used them because I`ve gotten the results I want from Meguiar`s and Menzerna. Whatever you decide, if you take the time to learn how the products work, you will get great results.

Tom

TDMAN
02-04-2005, 02:01 PM
Most products you hear about will do the trick. You just need to find what works best for you. Personally, I use all Hi Temp products from Top of the Line. For higher qualtiy cars, I also use Menzerna`s line of polishes. FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS. I think the reason some people fail is that they don`t follow the directions, or they give up too quickly. I too, have some concerns from a "pro" who couldn`t get them out with a rotary. Doesn`t sound right, and if true, I don`t think I would use him again.

nailzer
02-04-2005, 02:13 PM
[i]

A red flag does pop up when you mention that a pro detailer with a rotary was not able to correct your paint. You didnâ€â„¢t mention what type car/paint you have or if the detailer told you why he was unable to remove the swirls (were they too severe, clear coat too thin, did you request they be removed, or just paid for a quick wax, etc., etc.). [/B]

I have a 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse GT. The detailer worked on the left front fender and said he couldn`t correct the problem and quit, period. Before I bought the car I asked if the dealership detailer could correct the swirl problem, but he didn`t, or wasn`t able to. The paint is factory paint.

I have had limited success with Scratch-X on some scratches, and was thinking maybe I should try it with the PC. I mainly wanted to know if #80 or #83 was more then a cosmetic fix before I put more money into my collection of car care products.

nailzer
02-04-2005, 02:18 PM
Originally posted by TDMAN

I too, have some concerns from a "pro" who couldn`t get them out with a rotary. Doesn`t sound right, and if true, I don`t think I would use him again.

He didn`t ask for any money, and I didn`t offer. :D

Eliot Ness
02-04-2005, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by nailzer

.....I mainly wanted to know if #80 or #83 was more then a cosmetic fix before I put more money into my collection of car care products.

Mosca had a pretty good write up on polishing recently that you may want to take a look at before you hit your car with the PC (lots of tips, techniques, and pictures):

http://autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=49110

JeffM
02-04-2005, 04:32 PM
If they are just swirls ill bet 99% of the people here can remove them with just a PC and an orange LC pad....

Maybe look for an autopian who does either pro detailing or side work and have him work on it, maybe you could watch and see what its all about.

My wifes car is a 2000 and had bad auto scratches on it, swirls ect, and i got 95% of them out with DACP and an orange pad.