PDA

View Full Version : Getting Gasoline out of MF`s

joburnet
02-03-2005, 09:00 PM
Some gasoline spilled in the back of my truck and got on a couple MF`s. I didn`t think much of it but I just washed them twice with tide and OXY clean and the whole load smells like gasoline.

My guess would be to dry them and let the gas evaporate and then re-wash. Any other ideas how to get this out?

94BlkStang
02-03-2005, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by joburnet

Some gasoline spilled in the back of my truck and got on a couple MF`s. I didn`t think much of it but I just washed them twice with tide and OXY clean and the whole load smells like gasoline.

My guess would be to dry them and let the gas evaporate and then re-wash. Any other ideas how to get this out?

That usually works. Next, you can hand wash them in a little solvent and let them hang to dry. Then toss them in the wash and you should be good to go.

Steve530
02-03-2005, 09:07 PM
BIC lighter :)

jimmybuffit
02-03-2005, 09:38 PM
White Vinegar. Guaranteed. Soak everything in 4 Parts water; 1 part vinegar. Dwell in solution for several hours. Wash thoroughly.

You`ll be fine.

Jim

gto78
02-03-2005, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by Jimmy Buffit

White Vinegar. Guaranteed. Soak everything in 4 Parts water; 1 part vinegar. Dwell in solution for several hours. Wash thoroughly.

You`ll be fine.

Jim

Is this damaging in any way to the fabric by either weakening the material, or stripping off the color or dye?

ntoddalbert
02-03-2005, 10:19 PM
I recently got a tiny bit of gas on one MF, cleaned up fine. In fact I couldn`t tell you which one it was now......

jimmybuffit
02-03-2005, 10:29 PM
Damaging. Nah, hard to believe that a 4:1 solution of White Vinegar could damage anything.

Try it on one 16x16 towel, in the sink. If you think it is damaged in any way at all, I`ll send you a NEW (JT International) towel.

Not associated with White Vinegar, YMMV, yadda yadda.

:)

Jim

RedondoV6
02-04-2005, 05:26 AM

:bow

If the MF are still wet with Gas, try soaking them in a strong APC solution like Castrol Super Clean before the vinegar wash.

Jesstzn
02-05-2005, 10:30 AM

Damaging. Nah, hard to believe that a 4:1 solution of White Vinegar could damage anything.

Try it on one 16x16 towel, in the sink. If you think it is damaged in any way at all, I`ll send you a NEW (JT International) towel.

Not associated with White Vinegar, YMMV, yadda yadda.

:)

Jim

Is Tom ..( JT International ) still around or is he selling on e-bay under a different name than *ultramicrofiber*?

Spilchy
02-05-2005, 10:39 AM
IMHO, using Oxy Clean doesn`t do that much in regards to removing soils. It`s more of a bleaching agent to remove stains than it is a cleaning solution.

That is why I no longer use it.

I indicated in another post that Simple Green works wonders on breaking down the waxes and grease agents that clog up the MFs.

Try soaking those MFs in the sink with hot water and, say, a 1/2 cup of Simple Green. Wring and agitate. Then wash them with hot water in your washing machine with more Simple Green and laundery detergent.

ntoddalbert
02-05-2005, 02:55 PM
I last ordered from Tom about a year ago under that name, I thing you can add hotmail to the name and email him.