PDA

View Full Version : Touch less care was and convertibles??

imported_uflraptor
02-03-2005, 04:41 PM
I have a friend with a 2000 convertible mustang. They have turned to me for advice on washing. The question is: is it safe to run a convertible through a touch less auto wash?

Itâ€â„¢s hard to keep cars clean in Ohio during the winter months. I know a touch less was is not as good as a hand was but at least she cares enough to get it clean.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

Shawn

q_tip98444
02-03-2005, 06:27 PM
I have never had a problem doing that in the past. As long as her top is in good condition she should be fine. I would put convertible cleaner on it before she ran it through to make sure it comes clean.

Peter Crowl
02-03-2005, 11:03 PM
It`s my belief that the detergents in a carwash would be harmful to the top as would any additives in the process that enhance gloss.

I refer to

http://autopia.org/kb/index.php?page=index_v2&id=29&c=21

as my source for this.

Peter

q_tip98444
02-04-2005, 12:21 AM
Originally posted by Peter Crowl

It`s my belief that the detergents in a carwash would be harmful to the top as would any additives in the process that enhance gloss.

I refer to

http://autopia.org/kb/index.php?page=index_v2&id=29&c=21

as my source for this.

Peter

After reading that article I was interested in learning more about convertible tops so I found

site on Ask Jeeves. It has more technical information on the tops if your interested.

:EDIT: I tried that link to make sure it worked, it didn`t, but its fixed.this (www.convertibletopguys.com/convinfo.shtml )

togwt
02-04-2005, 01:26 AM
To enable `touchless` systems to clean vehicles they have to use a very strong alkaline detergent, which is the last thing you`d want to use to wash a fabric or viynl convertable top with. I understand that we all want an Autopian clean vehicle to drive, and a northern states winter would make that very difficult, so my suggestion would be to use QEW

JonM