PDA

View Full Version : My Klasse Kit has arrived - some questions...

Pages : [1] 2

5DX
02-02-2005, 11:43 PM
Hello Autopians,

I plan on (depending on weather) applying my first layer of the Klasse AIO and SG this weekend. It will be on a white 2001 CRV with what appears to have a good finish to start with (I bought it used, but its been garaged and cared for). Since I am new to serious auto-finish maintenance/detailing, I have a few questions.

1) Do I need to let each stage "cure" for any period of time before applying the next?

2) Similarly, do I need to wait a period of time before exposing the finished job to any weather?

3) Does SG or AIO put any white residue on the plastic trim (haze)? -thus needing to be taped off.

4) Can the SG be used on the clear plastic headlights to help deter the inevitable yellowing (I plan on keeping the car for about another 10 years!)?

5) Which would you recommend for maintenance, the Sonus Acrylic Glanz or the Spritz.

6) Lastly, can you think of anything else?

Thanks!!!!! :xyxthumbs

TW85 HHI
02-02-2005, 11:49 PM
I`ll answer the first four questions:

1) You can go directly to SG from AIO. If you are going to do multiple layers of SG then it is recommended to wait at least 24 hours before applying the additional layer.

2) I`ve never had a problem with exposing AIO or SG to the weather after application. In a perfect world we would all keep the car(s) in a garage for 24 hours or at least overnight but this isn`t a perfect world. ;)

3) No. In fact, carry the AIO and SG right onto the trim. Better than any trim dressing, IMO.

4) Yes. I always carry whatever paint products I am using onto the lights. Usually it is cleaner, sealant, and carnauba.

holland_patrick
02-02-2005, 11:51 PM
1 aio no SG yes

2 sg yes try not to get it wet..for 12 hours

3 NO HAZE

4 NOT SURE

5 not sure..

6 WIPE ONE WIPE OFF

Gonzo
02-03-2005, 07:30 AM
Use a clay bar after a wash but before the AIO to get the paint really clean and smooth.

Assuming you can live with the scratches (and there will be some) then apply the AIO & SG using Bill North`s Wipe On Wipe Off method. Since you are in Dallas, and they are having same or colder temps as Houston right now, I`d wait 4-7 days between layers of the SG to make sure it gets sufficient cure time. Just rewash, dry and then apply another SG layer. As the temperatures warm up, to say 60, the SG cure time is about 3 days, 70-ish 2 days and above 80 24 hours. These wait times are only approximate, but cure time IS a function of temperature and humidity.

3 Layers of SG is about as much as you can apply to maximize the shine, but more layers will add more protection. Expect 6 months + out of a Klasse`ing in this climate. After a while, the SG will become slightly less shiney and slick. You can use SONUS Acrylic Spritz to beighten up the paint in between layers of SG with no ill effects. You can also layer 4* UPP with SG and the Sonus as well. UPP makes the paint way way slicker than the SG, but I found it lasts maybe 2 weeks then the slickness starts to disappear.

Enjoy!

boosteddsm
02-03-2005, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by Gonzo

Assuming you can live with the scratches (and there will be some) then apply the AIO & SG using Bill North`s Wipe On Wipe Off method.

This is the first I`ve heard this. What`s the scratchless way?

thinksnow
02-03-2005, 08:33 AM
Search for WOWO. Gonzo is refering to scratches and micromarring because AIO is not going to be able to do any paint correction (aside from removing oxidation). WOWO does not scratch the paint. If you couldn`t live with the scratches, you would do your paint prep work (polishing) after the clay and before the AIO.

Originally posted by boosteddsm

This is the first I`ve heard this. What`s the scratchless way?

boosteddsm
02-03-2005, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by thinksnow

Search for WOWO. Gonzo is refering to scratches and micromarring because AIO is not going to be able to do any paint correction (aside from removing oxidation). WOWO does not scratch the paint. If you couldn`t live with the scratches, you would do your paint prep work (polishing) after the clay and before the AIO.

I misunderstood, I thought he meant that WOWO w/AIO produced scratches. I see now he meant that another product should be used to remove the scratches pre-AIO. Sorry for my confusion!

beastie
02-03-2005, 10:45 AM
Don`t forget the SG mantra: Thin, thin, thin!!!

I`ve applied a coat of SG and got caught in the rain without buffing it off. No problem. Just wash the car and drive off. Or you can reapply after washing.

Gonzo
02-03-2005, 11:26 AM
Yeah - I forgot the "thin" part. Here is the mantra I go by for AIO and SG

If you think it is thin enough - it is too thick!

911eric
02-03-2005, 12:41 PM
Speaking of Klasse Kits, is anyone interested in buying mine? I bought the AIO and SG last summer and still have, geez, at least 80% left (I`ll check later).

Feel free to make me a reasonable offer!

5DX
02-03-2005, 12:58 PM
Thanks for all the suggestions - keep them coming! I have some Clay Magic that I will try first. The the Klasse next. I don`t have any of the Spritz or Glanz yet (which do I get?).

And one more thing...how is Klasse pronounced?

imported_eggroll
02-03-2005, 01:09 PM
it`s pronounced class-uh

JeffM
02-03-2005, 05:00 PM
911 eric, you have only one post and it is to sell your klasse kit....ya ok.

911eric
02-03-2005, 05:53 PM
So what? If you`re interested I`ll take a dozen pictures, even with today`s newspaper in the background. Only for you, though since I like you so much.

Seriously, though, I bought Klasse because I read so many great reviews of it on this site. Somebody just gifted me some carnuba wax that I prefer, so I figure why leave it sit there when there`s a lot of people who really like the stuff.

JeffM
02-03-2005, 06:09 PM
Do you have pay pal?