PDA

View Full Version : Long Haul Truck Gloss

Pages : [1] 2

Scottwax
02-02-2005, 07:26 PM
I`d walked past the Long Haul car care products display many times when I`ve been to Pep Boys to get Armor All and Meguiars Quick Detailer (which I use to fortify my QEW mix in the winter) and this time, I figured I`d try their Truck Gloss in place of Quick Detailer especially since it was $5.00 for 28 oz. If it worked well, great! I`ve found a bargain QD. If not, not big deal, it was only 5 bucks.

I had a regular`s Jaguar to wash late this afternoon and due to all the rain, it was pretty nasty. I filled up my bucket with a gallon of water, added two capfuls of QEW then unscrewed the sprayer on the Long Haul Truck Gloss....and the too sweet tropical scent hit me and seemed very, very familiar. I poured some into the bucket and the light carmel color also seemed very, very familiar. I then realized what it reminded me of-Race Glaze`s Gloss Highlighter. I opened up my sample and it smelled exactly the same and the color looked the same. I even asked my customer to take a whiff of both products and he agreed they smell the same.

Performance-wise in the QEW, it does a very good job, felt like I QDed the car after washing it. I then used Truck Gloss on the car in QD form and even though the QEW/TG mix made the paint slick and left it with a nice glow, going over it with TG at full strength did seem to add a touch more wetness to the appearance, again similar to my results with Race Glaze`s QD. Honestly, the car looked as good as the day I waxed it two months ago with #16.

I checked the addresses on the bottle of Truck Gloss and it is a Colorado address, while Race Glaze is out of Wisconsin. Still the similarities are really striking, I wouldn`t be suprised if they are in fact the same product.

Anyway, if you are looking for a workhorse QD, or especially if you have a bottle of the Race Glaze QD, pick up a bottle for $5 and let me know your impressions.

ZaneO
02-02-2005, 10:11 PM
Don`t recall ever seeing that product, but it sounds nice for a cheap QD. I guess I need to look into it...especially for the QEW use.

IMO, many of the products on the market are the exact same with a different label on them. There are very few chemical manufacturers in the US that deal in car care products.

stilez
02-02-2005, 10:17 PM
Never heard of it Scott.

It may be a local thing. I know Gliptone is sold in PepBoy`s near me, but not many other places. (NY Based Company).

Thanks for the look out though.

Scottwax
02-03-2005, 12:38 AM
http://www.long-haul.com/

They sell the 28oz bottles of Truck Gloss for $11.99. They have a ton of this stuff at the local Pep Boys. I may grab a few more, maybe the wash plus the Polish/Wax.

Zane-I understand that many companies relable products but they usually make some effort to change it a little. This is the first time I`ve seen two products from different companies that look and smell exactly alike, and I mean exactly!

ben54
02-03-2005, 01:41 AM
I saw this line at a local Napa. Was tempted to try it just because. May just pick up the polish/wax next time I`m there.

ZaneO
02-03-2005, 06:18 PM
Actually, it usually takes a huge bulk order for the manufacturers to even make scent changes or any other change.

Scottwax
02-03-2005, 11:13 PM
Zane-I did not know that. Anyway, if you see this stuff on the shelf, it is worth grabbing a bottle.

BTW, here is the Jag I mentioned in the review.

http://www.photohost.org/gallery/data/500/1052002_Jaguar_SType_80_16_at7weeks2.jpg

Pats300zx
02-04-2005, 07:45 AM
Good info Scott.

WOW..never have seen that line at my local auto stores. I might have to keep an eye out for it.

cajunfirehawk
01-30-2008, 10:13 AM
Looks like Long-Haul.com is defunct...?

steelwind101
01-30-2008, 10:29 AM
LOL reviving an old post?

I picked up 4oz samplers and some extra QD in Idaho this year at the Big Lots in Boise.

Prehapes they closed down or are rebranding or reinventing.

Geoff

Scottwax
01-30-2008, 10:31 AM
I saw the Truck Gloss at Pep Boys for about $5 the other day, so I guess there is still some stock left.

imported_truzoom
01-30-2008, 10:36 AM
Pep Boys probably has the largest selection I have seen.

IMO, even though it was some great stuff, you can spend your money on something even better nowadays.

Deep Gloss Auto Salon
01-30-2008, 12:50 PM
This stuff is at every Big Lots I`ve been to.. haven`t bought any though

imported_weekendwarrior
01-30-2008, 12:53 PM
This stuff is at every Big Lots I`ve been to.. haven`t bought any though

That stuff and the NASCAR tire shine, which I have heard good reports about.

violentveedub
01-30-2008, 01:10 PM
Wow I have polish older than this thread...

I threw a bottle of this away b/c it smelled so bad...