PDA

View Full Version : How to remove wax from pinstripe tape edge

Totoland Mach
11-20-2004, 11:18 AM
Anyone know of a relatively quick way to remove the wax buildup from pinstripe tape`s edges? Right now, it`s fingernail under an mf towel...but that is painfully slooooow.

Thanks

Jngrbrdman
11-20-2004, 11:25 AM
I use a toothpick and just run it down the edge. I do that for just about all the strange little seams an cracks in a car that wax seems to like to build up in. There really isn`t any other way to remove just the build up from those areas other than the slow way. I`ve found that a toothpick is actually pretty fast.

Bill D
11-20-2004, 11:41 AM
In similar areas may be isopropyl alcohol on a Q-tip may work well

norahcrv
11-20-2004, 11:42 AM
Thanks Anthony!:)
I was just noticing the unfinished top edge of my "door guards" (they fit on the opening edge of the door) has a "white accumulation". I`ll have to try your trick when I next do the V unless you have another one up your sleeve:lol :dunno

91LSMAN
11-20-2004, 11:47 AM
I removed my pinstripe because it annoyed me.

TheSopranos16
11-20-2004, 11:54 AM
I use a toothpick and just run it down the edge. I do that for just about all the strange little seams an cracks in a car that wax seems to like to build up in. There really isn`t any other way to remove just the build up from those areas other than the slow way. I`ve found that a toothpick is actually pretty fast.
Wouldn`t a toothpick scratch the paint? I have similar problems but I would be a little cautious about just using a toothpick directly on the paint...I could be wrong though...

Jngrbrdman
11-20-2004, 12:14 PM
Toothpicks are actually pretty soft. Also, paint isn`t that fragile. I wouldn`t suggest dragging toothpics all over your car, but they do work for certian things. If you are just running the end of the pick on the edge of the pinstripe, then its not going to cause any scratching that you will ever notice. Even better than a tootpick are these really nifty painter picks that are used for touchup. They are plastic and really pointy. Even moreso than toothpicks. You can find them at any paint supply store. They are usually yellow or white with fuzzy tips on one end and points on the other. They work great for touch up too, but I usually used them for cleanup. When I`m out of those I usually end up reaching for the toothpicks.

Eliot Ness
11-20-2004, 12:25 PM
Something else to try is a little tool I picked up at Wal-Mart. One end has a brush and the other end has a pointed black "rubber" tip for wax removal. I thought the rubber tip may work well with a MF to get wax out of tight places. I haven`t tried it by itself yet to see it it would marr paint, but I wouldn`t think it`d be any harder than a toothpick. They are pretty cheap and located with the car waxes/applicators.

Totoland Mach
11-20-2004, 12:29 PM
Thanks for the toothpick idea. It gives me a lot more control than a plastic bristle toothbrush. The striping is OEM on a 96 Pathfinder LE and runs the length of the body.

I`ve tried the fingernail under an mf, but it takes forever and, if you don`t get all the wax from the edge, it`s pretty visible.

Gonna grab some toothpicks and give it a try while we have a decent day here in Toto Land.

Bill D
11-20-2004, 04:13 PM
I no longer use toothpicks except perhaps for applying touch up paint. I will not trust the point. The Q tips with the alcohol do it for me every time