PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning household electronics

LT1Squirrel
02-02-2005, 12:33 PM
my computer, tv, stereo, etc. have gathered some ugliness to themselves lately for some reason, no sweat right? just grab the aerosol electronics cleaner and go to town, hm....all out...go pick some more up right?...nope, been discontinued, so now im stuck with ugly crap, a huge :nono...what do you guys use for electronics?, specifically comp. monitors and tv`s:xyxthumbs

Ben Kenobi
02-02-2005, 12:39 PM
Hi Eric,

I take it you are referring to Endust for Electronics? I searched hi and low for it too and no luck finding it here in Ontario. Happened to be in the Buffalo area and found a bunch in the spray pump bottle at Big Lots. I cleaned them out of what they had. I`d try a liquidation store as you might get lucky and be able to stock up. I`ve tried other cleaners but nothing comes close to Endust.

Good luck!

q_tip98444
02-02-2005, 12:45 PM
Well recently I started a new rgimine. On the screens I use either a QD or cheap cleaner wax, on the cases I wipe with a dry MF, then if I feel it needs it mist a seperate MF with some interior dressing and wipe the plastic parts down. Works pretty good actually. And the wax on the screen makes dusting it easy. (A household cleaning idea only an autopian could appreciate. It helps with the winter withdrawl too! :p )

LT1Squirrel
02-02-2005, 01:54 PM
Originally posted by Ben Kenobi

Hi Eric,

I take it you are referring to Endust for Electronics? I searched hi and low for it too and no luck finding it here in Ontario. Happened to be in the Buffalo area and found a bunch in the spray pump bottle at Big Lots. I cleaned them out of what they had. I`d try a liquidation store as you might get lucky and be able to stock up. I`ve tried other cleaners but nothing comes close to Endust.

Good luck!

Ben, it was in a blue can right?, that was a good product, and i felt safe using it on any electronic in the house:xyxthumbs

Q-tip, im not too sure i would feel confident putting wax and QD`s on my tv and comp. screens

Ben Kenobi
02-02-2005, 02:16 PM
Hi again Eric,

Yes that was in the blue spray can. I had never seen the pump version until I ran across them in Big Lots. I`m in the IT field and like you I felt safe using it on any of my electronics. Does a great job on the fans inside my pc and on the case. Only thing that takes off the fingerprints and gunk from stereos without leaving a residue. I can`t believe they discontinued this. I was going to reply to Q-tip also but you did it for me. I know you`re going crazy without something to detail but I wouldn`t put any wax or QD on a TV or computer screen. It could really damage the coating, don`t ever dare take it near an LCD display. Ok, we`d better stop this thread as this is an automotive site. If you want to talk about this any further PM me. Check eBay as I have seen cases of it for auction there.

Paul

LT1Squirrel
02-02-2005, 02:31 PM
na, this is a detailing forum, thats free game for all kinds of detailing be it car or not:p:D...actually i just got my fill for the day lol http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=50164 :cool:

topnotchtouch
02-02-2005, 02:46 PM
Speaking of cleaning electronics, last night is the third time I have had to do surgery on the remote for our Tivo. My daughter has managed to drown it in milk twice and last night my son decided to throw it like a football. The milk was no problem, just soaked it with alcohol and blew it dry with the compressor. Last night was the kicker though, had to re-assemble it from pieces scattered throughout the living room. Managed to get it working but, it looks like it has been through a meat grinder :D

For our TVs and other electronics I just use a little windex and a microfiber. I spray the windex onto the microfiber and then wipe. Seems to work just fine.

q_tip98444
02-02-2005, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Ben Kenobi

Hi again Eric,

Yes that was in the blue spray can. I had never seen the pump version until I ran across them in Big Lots. I`m in the IT field and like you I felt safe using it on any of my electronics. Does a great job on the fans inside my pc and on the case. Only thing that takes off the fingerprints and gunk from stereos without leaving a residue. I can`t believe they discontinued this. I was going to reply to Q-tip also but you did it for me. I know you`re going crazy without something to detail but I wouldn`t put any wax or QD on a TV or computer screen. It could really damage the coating, don`t ever dare take it near an LCD display. Ok, we`d better stop this thread as this is an automotive site. If you want to talk about this any further PM me. Check eBay as I have seen cases of it for auction there.

Paul

HAHA

I forgot to say that my comp screen and my tv both have those plastic covers on them. So I should add this also DISCLAIMER: DO NOT put wax on a regular screen. And as stated above, use only approved products on LCD, they are easily damaged.

On the plastic cases, I wipe the product on, then let it sit then buff it off. But do NOT do this on the screens, err, ventilation areas. You do not want to risk clogging them.

Now, back OT, you can also buy the electronic wipes at Wal-Mart. I found some in the cleaning aisle. They are great for the back of the stereo, top of monitor and regular (not plastic covered) screens. Although I still don`t use them on my LCD screens.

togwt
02-03-2005, 10:09 AM
Kensington Technology Group, CA (they produce mouse pads, files, computer / printer mats, etc) produce a `Screen Cleaner" (oil and wax free, non-abrasive) works great. You could find it in a computer store (Office Depot?)

JonM

beastie
02-03-2005, 10:49 AM
For the outer cases of stereo equipment, I remove dust with California car duster. I carefully use a MF towel on monitors.

stilez
02-03-2005, 12:04 PM
A good nonstreak window cleaner works for me. Try Stoner`s Invisible Glass.

imported_perry
02-04-2005, 08:45 PM
I use lens cleaners made for glasses on my computer monitor. Afraid of anything harsher wearing off the anti-glare coating. Just got a new LCD screen though, and I think I`ll just use a dry microfiber on it.

I use the California dash duster (car duster but smaller) all over the rest of my apartment for dust...

SilverLexus
02-04-2005, 11:52 PM
I like the Endust product but my favorite is distilled water and a really fine microfiber. :)

For laptop and LCD screens most people swear by the iKlear products for the Apple which are very gentle. I`ve had good luck using them on the ThinkPad I have.

Monster Cable also has a product now but I hate that company since I`m an audiophile and they are very litigious.