PDA

View Full Version : Classic Chemical--Scottwax?

Setec Astronomy
02-01-2005, 08:29 AM
Back in the 70`s there was a mail order company in PA, I think it was called AutoWorld, that sold model car stuff, as well as real car stuff such as suspension, fender flares, exhaust. They had about a 1/2" thick catalog, and they also sold "detailing" supplies. I think I got some Collinite there, and they sold a lot of Classic Chemical products. I used the car wash for a long time because it was touted not to strip wax; that`s gone but I still have some other products of their`s, and I was noticing that the Classic Chemical address is Arlington, Texas!

I presume that this company is long gone since they don`t show up in internet search; Scott, do you remember this place?

Scottwax
02-01-2005, 12:42 PM
Mike-I didn`t move to Arlington until 1992 so if it was gone before then, I wouldn`t know about it. What is the street address? The weather sucks again today (like it has since Thursday!), maybe I can drive by and see what is there now.

Setec Astronomy
02-01-2005, 01:02 PM
I don`t think it had a street address. I`ll look again later. Nobody seems to remember this company except Bill D. and myself. I might have some literature from them, but it`s buried.

Scottwax
02-01-2005, 01:12 PM
Nothing is showing my newest Arlington Yellow Pages.

Bill D
02-01-2005, 01:12 PM
I once use a sort of spray wheel cleaner-sealant from a brand called "Classic" which is owned by Pennzoil-Quaker State. I`m unsure if its "ancestor" is the original Classic. It is Texas based. According to this site of MSDS , apparently the product I used no longer exists. I suppose it was discontinued in about the late `90`s

http://householdproducts.nlm.nih.gov/cgi-bin/household/brands?tbl=brands&id=16004007

the other pc
02-01-2005, 02:56 PM
Oh man, there`s a flashback. Back in the seventies Classic carnauba wax and Classic car wash were my favorites. The wax was pretty hard and application was a real workout but the shine was great.

Of course all I knew to compare them to at the time were your typical consumer products. Back then I wouldn`t have recognized a can of #16 if it had jumped up and bit me.

PC.

Setec Astronomy
02-01-2005, 03:08 PM
My Classic Slipstream Wax for Aircraft and High Performance Cars says Classic Chemical, Grand Prairie, TX, my Classic Thirsty Boy sponge says Classic Chemical, Arlington TX, and my Classic Finish Restorer says Classic Products Limited, Arlington, TX. No street addresses. As I said before, I think I have a brochure somewhere...buried.

Big Leegr
02-01-2005, 03:13 PM
I have an old can of "Classic" car wax. I don`t think it`s the same company, though. This one was based in Laguna Hills, California. "Classic Appearance Products Inc.." "Since 1952." Lid isn`t very tight. It`s crumbly now. Still smells nice, though. :)

Eliot Ness
02-01-2005, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by the other pc

Oh man, there`s a flashback. Back in the seventies Classic carnauba wax and Classic car wash were my favorites. The wax was pretty hard and application was a real workout but the shine was great........

LOL..... I remember Classic Car Wax well, I think my arm may still be sore from using it by hand on my parents 1963 Impala in the late 60`s!

Doesn`t sound like the same stuff Mike is talking about, but it sure brings back some memories.

Setec Astronomy
02-01-2005, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Eliot Ness

LOL..... I remember Classic Car Wax well, I think my arm may still be sore from using it by hand on my parents 1963 Impala in the late 60`s!

Doesn`t sound like the same stuff Mike is talking about, but it sure brings back some memories.

No, that IS the stuff I`m talking about. I used to use the car wash; it was red.

Eliot Ness
02-01-2005, 04:32 PM
Do these ads look familiar Mike?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=4400&item=3696351755&rd=1&ssPageName=WD1V

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10778&item=7116625985&rd=1&ssPageName=WD1V

Setec Astronomy
02-01-2005, 04:34 PM
Yup! And if we could only read the fine print, we might have the street address for Scott!

Bill D
02-01-2005, 04:54 PM
Looks like "Classic" is written in fancy, Cadillac-style script. I think the product I used and those that might still be available revived that but are Pennzoil-QS`s own product. It appears to me that Classic, as it exists today, may only be a subsidiary of Pennzoil-QS

:nixweiss

Scottwax
02-01-2005, 06:17 PM
Originally posted by Setec Astronomy

Yup! And if we could only read the fine print, we might have the street address for Scott!

You could always use the `ask the seller a question` link and see if they will tell you. :nixweiss