PDA

View Full Version : Hydrophilic Sponge for washing?

MaryFlute
02-01-2005, 02:57 AM
Does anyone ever use a hydrophilic sponge for washing and applying wax? Someone told me they were great to use. They said that it doesn`t scratch because the dirt doesn`t stay in the sponge. It easily washes right out.

Mary

Black240SX
02-01-2005, 03:55 AM
I thought all sponges were hydrophilic. :nixweiss

Setec Astronomy
02-01-2005, 08:19 AM
You mean one of those PVA sponges? Many years ago I used them for drying my car (Classic Thirsty Boy). I recently bought some of the Poorboy`s PVA sponges and used one for applying EX-P (which is the method recommended by Poorboy). I didn`t really like it, went on too thick...don`t know if it was the product or the sponge.

As far as the ease of cleaning, I decided I`d better wash the wax out of the sponge, plus it got dirty when I was waxing my wheels (last), and I made the mistake of putting some dishwashing liquid on it. I still haven`t been able to get all the soap out of it...I gave up and put it aside...maybe when I have a free hour I will try rinsing it again...

MaryFlute
02-01-2005, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Black240SX

I thought all sponges were hydrophilic. :nixweiss

I guess all sponges are, technically, but there is a specific sponge called a Hydrophilic Sponge that is used in tile work - also called a Grout Sponge. I saw a couple of sites where you use them to paint ceramic tiles. You can get them at Home Depot in the tile section.

a.k.a. Patrick
02-01-2005, 10:42 AM
Ive seen those before, there a little course/stiff for my liking.....

togwt
02-01-2005, 10:47 AM
I don`t like `flat` type surface sponges as they could trap dirt/grit between their surface and the paint.

The Grout Sponge was discussed over on the Megs forum but I don`t remember if the consensus of opinion was for or against

Setec Astronomy
02-01-2005, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by MaryFlute

I guess all sponges are, technically, but there is a specific sponge called a Hydrophilic Sponge that is used in tile work - also called a Grout Sponge. I saw a couple of sites where you use them to paint ceramic tiles. You can get them at Home Depot in the tile section.

Oh, sorry, those appear to be different than the PVA sponges I was talking about...never mind....

MaryFlute
02-01-2005, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by TOGWT

I don`t like `flat` type surface sponges as they could trap dirt/grit between their surface and the paint.

The Grout Sponge was discussed over on the Megs forum but I don`t remember if the consensus of opinion was for or against

What he did with the sponge is cut the surface of it kind of like a grid so it`s not flat and conforms to the car while you`re washing it. I`ll have to check out the Megs forum and search for that thread.

Thanks!

Accumulator
02-01-2005, 12:45 PM
MaryFlute- Some people have posted that they use those and like them very much. I seem to take a different approach to washing (conceptually) thus the presumed advantages of the sponge don`t much apply to how I wash- so maybe my comments aren`t gonna be of much value here.

Note that many forms of wash media will rinse clean (BHB is a great example) and vitually *any* decent mitt/spong/brush will conform to any contour.

Many of the presumed advantages of various approaches are really universal traits that are merely being emphasized as if they were unique. Sea sponge/grout sponge/mitt/BHB, I dunno if it makes all that much difference what you use; the big thing IMO is how you use it.

IMO most *any* wash media will trap dirt between itself and the paint to some extent if used in the standard fashion. Better to merely dislodge dirt through very light contact and flush it off the surface than to a) rub the wash media/dirt against the paint in a "scrubbing" manner, and/or b) hope the dirt somehow gets "sucked up" into the media and then released when rinsed.