PDA

View Full Version : Poorboys vs. Megs

rockyram
01-30-2005, 08:40 PM
What is the concensus here.Should I go with SSR 2.5 and SSR 1, or Megs DACP #83 and #80.If it helps the vehicle is black with medium swirl marks.Also does Poorboys really work in the sun?That would be kind of a bonus.

Mr Monk
01-30-2005, 08:49 PM
rocky....Poorboys is a great product line. Yes, it can be applied in the sun, shade, on a cold surface, hot surface, what ever.

In this sense it is very versatile. PBs along with CLearkote are my two favorite lines.

I can`t comment on the Megs as I haven`t used either of the prods you mentioned. I`ll leave that to the other Autopians to comment on.

However, if you`re looking to enhance your black paint a fave here is VM followed by CMW. Both prods are CKs and do a terrific job.

When you`re done make sure you post some pics!

tripper_11
01-30-2005, 09:00 PM
I go for the 8380 combo. Haven`t used PB`s. (3M MG and IHG prolly another alternative)

gearhead
01-30-2005, 09:04 PM
I haven`t used DACP but the other three, particularly #80 are very good and easy to use. Was able to take out medium swirls (but not scratches) with #80 on soft black SS Lexus paint last weekend, hope they weren`t just filled.

However, if you`re looking to enhance your black paint a fave here is VM followed by CMW. Both prods are CKs and do a terrific job. I agree. Followed up with these two and the car hasn`t looked this good since it was new. :)

AutoNova
01-30-2005, 09:14 PM
I have switched to the SSR line form Meg`s line of swirl products. Musch more user friendly, less dusting, easier to remove. I sitll like #80 for the depth on cars with light swirls, I think #80 compares to SSR 2 in abrasivenes.

a.k.a. Patrick
01-30-2005, 09:39 PM
Ive used both, i use Megs regularly. Yesterday i used it in the sun, i needed the lighting, no problems, although it wasnt warm out, but it was windy. You can use products in the sun, manufacturers will advise against it, but i use alot of products in the sun, in particular, the polymers like Four Star and Blackfire.....I think the Polys work better in the sun.....

EBPcivicsi
01-30-2005, 09:46 PM
I have and use both depending upon the conditions in which I am working.

If I am forced to work in full sun in the summer(hot paint) then I use PB`s stuff. Any other time I use the Meguiars polishes.

There is a bit more of a learning to curve to some of the meguiars products, but nothing too difficult.

I prefer the DACP to SSr2.5 as I find it does more work. The 2.5 does leave a better finish though. I also prefer #80 to the SSr2, I feel it does about the same amount of correction, but leaves a better finish.

To answer your question more ditrectly..... if I never had to detail in adverse conditions and had no interest in trying new products, the Meguiars would be my choice. They are locally available, cheap, and always get the job done for me.

JeffM
01-30-2005, 09:50 PM
I just tried #83 and was really impressed. Although i have not yet tried the PB line.

#83 doesnt dust for me if i stop just short of it doing so. Makes sense right? :)

Wasatch
01-30-2005, 10:01 PM
Poorboy`s stuff is way more user friendly.

rockyram
01-30-2005, 10:22 PM
WOW, lots of replies already.Thanks guys.

Scottwax
01-31-2005, 01:18 AM
I like both lines but I prefer Meguiars mostly because I`ve been using it longer and really have it down. Poorboy`s also gives excellent results but I have a hard time figuring out when I`ve worked 2.5 long enough since it doesn`t clear out like DACP does.

You can`t go wrong with either line.

DCT
01-31-2005, 06:57 AM
I would agree.......... both lines of polishes are excellent. Under most circumstances, I prefer Poorboy`s polishes because of their ease of use by hand, and with a PC. If I`m using a rotary, I sometimes prefer the Meguiar`s polishes.

I can say this............... SSR2.5 followed by Menzerna FP II leaves an incredible finish! :xyxthumbs

JJ_
01-31-2005, 07:29 AM
Ive got ssr2.5, ex-p and nattys from PB

and

#80, NXT, #16

#80 leaves a nice polished surface to apply the sealent onto, nxt in the case of meg`s, then top with #16. I have just applied ex-p and nattys onto my girlfriend`s car so the durability will be tested.

I think ssr2.5 offers a nice amount of cuttin power, It did manage to remove 1200 grit wet and dry with an orange sonus pad. Ex-p leaves the finish incredibly slick, I usually apply two layers. Then top with nattys, this seems to take some of the slickness away, however, the reflections and the warmth is superb.