PDA

View Full Version : Help me convince the wife that I need a foam gun.... :)

ntwrkguy1
01-30-2005, 08:13 PM
...but seriously, she think`s I`m NUTS for wanting to buy something else!

I`ve done a few searches, checked a few websites, but am wondering just one thing: what exactly is the main advantage of the foam gun? More suds? Cleaner surfaces? or just another thing to satisfy a gadget craving?

Hopefully, someone that has/uses one will chime in. The good news is that one of the local dealers is close by in NC, so at least I don`t have to wait for it!

Accumulator
01-31-2005, 11:52 AM
If you have to justify it, you can say that it`ll prevent the marring that you spend so much time polishing out. That really *is* the reason I use it. Gadgets get used a few times and then put aside, but the foamgun gets used every time I wash a vehicle. All those soapy suds help loosen dirt and float it off the finish so it doesn`t get ground into the paint, which would scratch it.

ntwrkguy1
01-31-2005, 11:54 AM
Interesting.....so do you wet the car first, then hit it with the foam gun? And are you using anything (wash mitt, etc) to `wash` the car once the foam is on?

Bill D
01-31-2005, 11:55 AM
It`s the only device to the best of my knowledge where one working at home can have a constant stream of soapy solution over the finish as a barrier to prevent marring.

Accumulator
01-31-2005, 12:05 PM
ntwrkguy1- I haven`t read My Wash Technique Thread (http://www.autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35232) for a while but I think it covers how to use the foamgun. You can tweak the general idea to suit your situation. If that doesn`t answer your Qs post back and I`ll clarify.

Bill D. uses a somewhat simplified/more user-friendly version, IIRC.

RedondoV6
01-31-2005, 12:11 PM
Just tell the wife that you can use it to clean the exterior walls and windows... that should do it for you!

Bill D
01-31-2005, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by Accumulator

Bill D. uses a somewhat simplified/more user-friendly version, IIRC.

Yeah, no foam gun nozzle through the mitt, too complicated and too risky for me. I just make sure the foam gun has a constant stream of soap over the area I`m whisking with the mitt. Small areas, taking time, definitely not something to rush.

ntwrkguy1
01-31-2005, 03:30 PM
Accumulator,

I read your write up....good stuff! Is it possible to use something like Meguiar`s Gold Class Car Wash in the gun?

Thanks,

ntwrkguy1

Woob
01-31-2005, 03:46 PM
ntwrkguy1,

Hehe I can order it for ya if you want :D Honestly I like the foam idea because it somewhat pre sets the car ready for your washing tool (mitt etc.) The entire car is engulfed with foam and therefore can make up for the dirt built up on the surface. I`ve tried mimicking this action with just using a waterless wash then the usual soap bucket routine, but this idea is pretty interesting!

BTW What distributor is nearby? Usual Autopian wonder :p

Accumulator
01-31-2005, 03:54 PM
ntwrkguy1- I dunno about using the GC. I`d think "the method" would work better than doing it "the regular way" no matter which shampoo you used, but I`ve kept the Griot`s stuff constant as I`m completely satisfied with it.

[flamesuit on] When I used GC I wasn`t using "the method", but I was *very* put off by the GC`s relative lack of lubricity compared to the shampoos I`m used to. I would worry about this lubricity issue no matter what method I was employing. GC just didn`t do it for me. I gave mine away to somebody who mars their vehicles when he washes anyhow. [flamesuit off]

I realize that GC has some very desirable features, such as being commonly available and inexpensive. I guess I just place a higher premium on features like lubricity that I relate to less marring during the wash. I sure don`t expect everybody else to see this stuff the way I do ;)