PDA

View Full Version : Polishing Wood Furniture with a PC?

imported_SHICKS
01-30-2005, 07:33 PM
I hope this falls under the umbrella of machine polishing. :D

Has anyone done it?

I just picked up a new PC today at Lowes, and I want to try it out. I have a ton of wood furniture with cat claw marks. I also have a dinner table with a faux wood laminate top.

Just a thought, i would not use an abrasive product, maybe just AIO and the white pad that came with it.

Thanks,

Steve

Bill D
01-30-2005, 07:36 PM
Maybe with the dial set on 1 or 2, using the least aggresive pad, ( flat surface like a table top) apply some Johnson`s wax for wood furniture to the pad with a butter knife and see how it makes out.

Mad iX
01-30-2005, 09:13 PM
I`ve been wanting to try this as well. The only problem I can think of is the polish splattering across the living room if you`re not careful.

(That`s my 1st post over and done with.)

zzyyzx
01-30-2005, 09:29 PM
I asked about this a while back as I`ve been given some furniture that isn`t in the best shape. I think if you were going to just polish it, it would be okay if you had dedicated pads. But the point someone brought up was that if you were sanding, there is potential of the dust getting in the PC and becoming dislodged when you were working on your car, causing problems to your car.

bufferman71
01-30-2005, 10:30 PM
Ive done it to my inlaws bar top with a full size rotary and #M 5933 rubbing compound. Even used IP on my woodwork before i installed it in my office at my old house. Doesnt take much, very glossy. Didnt give it the car wash test though (lol)

imported_Dave Holmes
01-31-2005, 03:27 AM
I did my dining room table with SFP and #16 (polishing and finishing pads). I`ve also done my fiberglass shower walls with SFP and then NXT. Works fairly well for fresh water spots. If you get the scrub brush attachment, try it on your carpets while steam cleaning them. You`ll be amazed at the extra crud that comes up using the brush compared to steam cleaning alone.

The PC, not just for cars anymore...

I sometimes get bored. But my car and house are clean.

Dave

togwt
01-31-2005, 07:24 AM
I polish wood furniture with a PC and a gray polishing pad, speed#3-4. I usually use Formbys Oil Polish and then a Carnauba wax (perfectionist...who me?)

mrhct
01-31-2005, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by Dave Holmes

I did my dining room table with SFP and #16 (polishing and finishing pads). I`ve also done my fiberglass shower walls with SFP and then NXT. Works fairly well for fresh water spots. If you get the scrub brush attachment, try it on your carpets while steam cleaning them. You`ll be amazed at the extra crud that comes up using the brush compared to steam cleaning alone.

The PC, not just for cars anymore...

I sometimes get bored. But my car and house are clean.

Dave

Scrub brush attachment for the PC? Where might one pick one up?

Eliot Ness
01-31-2005, 10:08 AM
Originally posted by mrhct

Scrub brush attachment for the PC? Where might one pick one up?

Here are two places:

http://store.premiumautocare.net/caandmatsc.html

http://www.properautocare.com/nycamatscbr.html

medic159
02-01-2005, 11:40 AM
ABSOLUTELY! I do it all the time on our furniture. The top of the dining room table is like a mirror! I apply Johnson`s paste wax by hand and buff with the PC set at 2 to 4 depending on the job.

One more thing, I also use it on appliances such as the fridge, diswasher, stove, counter tops, etc. We have the shiniest fridge in town and it stays clean a long time. On the appliances I use NXT.