PDA

View Full Version : newbie to extensive detailing?

4x4K1500
01-29-2005, 09:44 PM
Can someone assist me in the products I should buy when doing extensive detailing with the PC?

Claybar?

Polish?

Sealant?

Wax?

I dont have a PC yet but come spring I will have one. I need products that are for light to medium scratches and swirls. I want to be as safe as possible with what I use so I dont ruin someones car.

I think I`m gonna buy the Sonus pad kit. And get some Klasse AIO.

Maybe get SFX-2 and SFX-3. Waxes I`m unsure the only thing I have used is NXT and finish first I have been pleased with both. I read some reviews on the 4* UPP but cant decide.

When applying AIO what is a good speed? Is it better to apply the wax by hand or with the PC?

ZaneO
01-29-2005, 09:50 PM
Welcome to Autopia. Glad you made it over here.

Just remember my warning...don`t get caught up in the product hype that tends to happen here. Everyone loves everything they use.

There are only a few clay manufacturers, so there isn`t much difference in bars...I use Zaino and Clay Magic.

I use Menzerna, Poorboy`s, and Einszett polishes.

I use Zaino primarily as my sealant, but also have and use Wolfgang, NXT (very little), etc.

I use S100, Liquid Souveran, and Paste Glaze waxes.

I apply AIO on speed 5-6.

Good luck!! :cool:

seracis
01-29-2005, 10:58 PM
I don`t have any first hand experiences to back up my opinions yet, but my first batch of goodies are on the way and I will be using SFX-2 and 3 on my 2 vehicles, as well as Sonus paintworks cleanser and top it all off with #16. But like ZaneO said, there is NO one perfect combination to use. There are way too many variables. Paint color, condition, application method (hand or machine), products, etc. Not to mention different climates. Just remember to apply in the correct order and don`t undo what you just did. In other words, do apply a cleaner/wax after a good polish. Glad to see another NKOTB. Oh dear God, did I just refer to a boy band??

jonw440
01-31-2005, 06:03 PM
Welcome 4x4K1500:wavey

For a sealant you might try Autoglym as your first time using a sealant. Klasse All In One(AIO and Klasse High Gloss Sealant Glaze (SG) is the usual products most people recommend. HOWEVER Autoglym Super Resin Polish(SRP) and Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection(EXP) go on and come off a lot easier then Klasse.

I think the look is as good (at least on black it is) as the Klasse Twins.

Polish Sonus works great, but if you do get a PC its the only polish I will be using this spring.

Wax, P21S/S100.

Apply the SRP or AIO with the blue pad on speed 4.5.

Apply the EGP or SG with the microfiber bonnet on top of the blue bonnet on speed 2 or 3.

I apply the P21S by hand.

hirosh
01-31-2005, 06:42 PM
welcome to autopia.

like everyone has said, there are many different products and combos to use.

Claybar? clay bar magic and mother`s are two brands that come to mind.

Polish? meguiar`s pro line (beige bottles), 1z, poorboy`s SSR

Sealant? oh boy, there`s a lot of them. klasse twins, poorboy`s EX w/carnauba or EX-P, 4* UPP, 1z Glanz Wax, Zaino

Wax? S100/P21s, poorboy`s natty, meg`s #16 (while supplies last)

it would probably be a good idea to get all of your supplies from one store to save on shipping. so if you`re gonna get the sonus pads, get them from that same store, which i think is the autopia-store.

the PC is relatively safe and it`s hard to damage the paint with one, unless you drop it on the car. :D

as far as sealants and waxes goes, there are many factors in choosing one, like the color of your car, what sort of look are you going for (shiney, reflective, wet, deep, etc), do you want something to last, etc etc. the `click & brag` section was helpful for me in trying to decide what to use.

and if you are going to try klasse, check out this article from the bettercarcare.com website:

http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=48

good luck and happy detailing. :wavey

holland_patrick
01-31-2005, 08:16 PM
ok it seems to me your trying to keep it on the cheeper side of things which is good I did also You have some good products in mind and Just need a hand so one word for ya ""KIT""

I bought a few kit and they made all the differance becaus of the MF and other bonus i got with themm

http://www.autogeek.net/

Wolfgang Elastic Poly Clay Kit

I love this clay

Klasse Kit

what can i say it`s the best(zanio lovers would pic zanio I just haven`t tried that and I get results with klasse)

http://www.premiumautocare.com/

Four Star Ultimate Detailing Clay Kit Deluxe

never used it but you get FOUR towels

Detail City Favorite Kit #1

Some say UPP is better then SG Plus you get MORE TOWELS ( you can never have enough towels)

Menzerna Get Acquainted Kit

Cheep, good produts(I posted about them in the detailing dissution fourm) and should be enough for your car

http://www.ocdpharmacy.com/

it`s anouther place but I didn`t see too much there

and last but not least

http://www.autopia-carcare.com/

Sonüs Perfect Paint Finish Kit

Never used it But I LOVE sonus Cockpit spray

Sonus makes it easy. Start with the Sonüs Perfect Shine Base Finish Kit (SON-BASE-KIT), then select the top-coat kit that best suits your needs.

So there you go a few place to look around and get some stuff I`m not really recomending one store over another just wanteding you to see what is out there and to beable to get the most for your money

patrick

you can always PM me if needed

imported_dpeezy415
01-31-2005, 09:21 PM
Can someone assist me in the products I should buy when doing extensive detailing with the PC?

Claybar?

Polish?

Sealant?

Wax?

I dont have a PC yet but come spring I will have one. I need products that are for light to medium scratches and swirls. I want to be as safe as possible with what I use so I dont ruin someones car.

I think I`m gonna buy the Sonus pad kit. And get some Klasse AIO.

Maybe get SFX-2 and SFX-3. Waxes I`m unsure the only thing I have used is NXT and finish first I have been pleased with both. I read some reviews on the 4* UPP but cant decide.

When applying AIO what is a good speed? Is it better to apply

the wax by hand or with the PC?

Wassup 4x4K1500, welcome to autopia. I`m a newbie too, been on the site about a month, but learned a BUNCH. My best tip for you is read about PROCESS first, then worry about PRODUCTS.

I personally got caught up in product fever and bought a bunch of stuff and I haven`t even gotten a chance to use most of it yet!!! The weather has been bad and my car is less than three weeks from paint so I`m just waiting for the chance...

To answer some of your product questions....

Clay: I bought Clay Magic and Mother`s locally. Mother`s is quite expensive because it comes w/ quick detail and some cleaner wax.

Polish: I bought Megs DACP, Megs #9 (locally) and 4* SMR

I have read that Poorboys SSR line is user friendly, try 1 and 2.5.

I suggest buying some EXTRA pads because you WILL need them. I bought the Sonus kit from autopia car care and 1 extra green and 1 extra blue from exceldetail.

Sealant: I have SG and UPP. You`re right in getting the AIO. I did too!!!

Wax: S100. I bought P21S which is the same thing but more expensive.

Check out Silver Lexus and GSRStilez fav products and you`ll have a great list of products to try. Happy hunting!!!