III
01-29-2005, 06:30 PM
Would this be somewhat accurate?

after 1 month - 40% is gone

after 2 months - 60% is gone

after 3 months - 80% is gone

ZaneO
01-29-2005, 06:33 PM
It`s almost impossible to put a timeline on something like that, given so many factors.

White95Max
01-29-2005, 06:33 PM
It would depend on the product.

I don`t expect Paste Glaz or Souveran to last more than 6 weeks.

#16 or Collinite, the percentages would be much higher than a beauty wax like PG, Souveran...

lbls1
01-29-2005, 06:41 PM
Carnauba lasts a lot longer than that. I`ve found that the residue doesn`t go anywhere. The gloss and beading qualities, depending on the exposure, will in time wear away.

The durability of carnauba, I`ve also found, will depend on how well its applied, and the amount of waxings you`ve accumulated over a period of a few months.

I`ve so far survived 15" of snow, a week of salt, and my daily, uncovered driver is still wearing its p21S shine from the fall! (I did get a sneek pass with one coat on a nice sunny early december day though!)

ZaneO
01-29-2005, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by lbls1

Carnauba lasts a lot longer than that. I`ve found that the residue doesn`t go anywhere. The gloss and beading qualities, depending on the exposure, will in time wear away.

The durability of carnauba, I`ve also found, will depend on how well its applied, and the amount of waxings you`ve accumulated over a period of a few months.

I`ve so far survived 15" of snow, a week of salt, and my daily, uncovered driver is still wearing its p21S shine from the fall! (I did get a sneek pass with one coat on a nice sunny early december day though!)

I just do not agree with that. What product do you use under your carnauba?

superstring
01-29-2005, 07:02 PM
Check this out, guys.

http://autopia.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=49922

lbls1
01-29-2005, 08:36 PM
I used a mild polish like Mother`s and then P21S, about 5 layers over a period of three months (and not covered). P21S is surprisingly durable as well.

The trick that has helped me maintain the finishes is to not put on too many "layers" at one time. If you put on three or four or more times the coatings of a wax at one time, the gloss will wash off. Put on just one or two layers at one time, and give it at least a day to settle (I give the wax at least a week on the surface before another layer, ...without water or even a QD) and then re-apply with the same wax.

It has worked well for me.

DCT
01-29-2005, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by III

Would this be somewhat accurate?

after 1 month - 40% is gone

after 2 months - 60% is gone

after 3 months - 80% is gone

Probably not! :confused:

imported_Larry A
01-29-2005, 10:05 PM
I would say 50% first month , 40% second month . If you wax with carnuba about every 8 to 10 weeks that should cover it . Of course a lot depends if the car sits outside all nighT long or is it in a garage, how often its washed and what it washed with. Some carnubas last longer than others, Collinite comes to mine. Your results may vary.

a.k.a. Patrick
01-30-2005, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by ZaneO

I just do not agree with that. What product do you use under your carnauba?

Im with you Zane...If i had to guess, I`d say about 30 % depletion after 3 weeks, 50% after 4 weeks, 75% after 6 weeks, and pretty much gone after 8 weeks.

6cyl's_of_fury
01-30-2005, 03:26 AM
Environment conditions and season play a big part in measuring durability. I think I get better durability than a lot of you guys due to the mild ( and less polluted ) environemntal conditions here in Australia help greatly IMO.

I could easily let it go past 8 weeks ( still beading nicely ), but adding another coat is a 20 minute ( if that ) job, so it`s no big deal really.

urban1.8t
01-30-2005, 05:01 AM
I agree with 6cyls I think our kinder enviromental conditions give a longer life to carnauba products. 8 to 10 weeks seems fine over here.

Cheers

Dave.

Andrew Timmins
01-30-2005, 06:47 AM
With my car parked outside 24/7 S100 seems to last about 2 months before the beading has gone.

Like many others here I have been known to apply products to household appliances. With no cleaning or surface prep at all I wiped one edge of our fridge with S100. A fridge magnet placed on the waxed area would slide down to the floor as it was so slick. The fridge magnet would stop in place on the rest of the fridge. Even after 6 months the fridge magnet will still slide to the floor on the waxed section. If my car was garaged permanently then I guess durability would be similar to my observations with the fridge. Though the fridge magnet is going nowhere near the car. :nono