PDA

View Full Version : Clear Bra removal?

AudiOn19s
01-29-2005, 04:46 PM
Does anyone here have experience with removing clear bra. I`m looking at purchasing a white car and the car is in extremely good condition but has clear bra all over the car for protection. Normally this would be a good thing but it`s a white car and the clear bra has discolored considerably and appears to be quite yellow against the white paint.

I`m wondering how much of a hastle it is to remove the clear bra and the adheisives used to keep it on the surface of the paint.

Also it shouldn`t harm the paint in any way correct?...i.e. I`m not going to get it off and ruin the paint in the process.

Sorry for all the questions...I have no experience with cear bra.

Andy

94BlkStang
01-29-2005, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by AudiOn19s

Does anyone here have experience with removing clear bra. I`m looking at purchasing a white car and the car is in extremely good condition but has clear bra all over the car for protection. Normally this would be a good thing but it`s a white car and the clear bra has discolored considerably and appears to be quite yellow against the white paint.

I`m wondering how much of a hastle it is to remove the clear bra and the adheisives used to keep it on the surface of the paint.

Also it shouldn`t harm the paint in any way correct?...i.e. I`m not going to get it off and ruin the paint in the process.

Sorry for all the questions...I have no experience with cear bra.

Andy

I`ve often wondered the same thing. The only thing I can suggest is to seek advice form an outfit that applies it. I`m sure they have had to also take it off before.

Ron Harris
01-29-2005, 09:58 PM
Andy

Anthony O. and I install the X-pel clear bra.

For removal you want to park the car in the sun to heat up the kit. If that dose not work then use a heat gun. Donâ€â„¢t get it to hot just warm. Then start pulling back.

The only time you stand a chance of damaging the paint is if the car has been re painted. You can pull the clear right off with the kit. A good adhesive remover from 3M should help any adhesive left behind.

Good Luck.

seracis
01-29-2005, 10:17 PM
I install the clear bra`s as well. I agree with Ron. The warmer the better. I installed the clear on my wife`s `04 Odyssey last March when we bought it and 1 week later, on a road trip, a rock put a nice dent in the hood where the clear is. It would have been much worse without the clear. Another rock (or something) has hit in another spot, but it only tore the clear a little. I`m thinking about removing the clear just so I can have an unbroken look to the shine I`m fixin` lay down.

togwt
01-31-2005, 09:18 AM
Dent`s & Details- only thing I would add to that great tip is to pull at a 45 degree angle not straight up and pull slowly, clean up with a solvent cleaner

AudiOn19s
01-31-2005, 09:34 AM
Thanks for all of your help guys...I"ll let you know how it goes as I pick up the car on Friday.

Also the clear bra was applied to the car when it was 2 months old so the paint underneith should be good.

Andy

imported_The Uncle
01-31-2005, 01:53 PM
If you remove the bra, won`t the nose of the car sag? :D