PDA

View Full Version : Realistically, who owns a *truly* swirl free car?

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

MongooseGA
01-29-2005, 01:42 PM
I was just thinking to myself the other day. This past season, my mom`s car and my Jeep were comepletely defect free. I mean, perfect. Now, I`m looking at them and seeing lots of swirls. Who really owns and maintains a swirl free car?

Yes, show cars and garage queens count too :D

TW85 HHI
01-29-2005, 01:54 PM
My car is swirl free at the moment. Who knows how long it`ll last before polishing is needed again.

Accumulator
01-29-2005, 02:01 PM
The Jag is "swirl-free", though it has scratches that I don`t polish out because the (original) paint is getting too thin. But then I hardly ever drive it. But yeah, even with its soft lacquer I can wash/dry/use it without it getting marred.

I keep the S8 marring-free, have since I got it except for the whole "deer incident" business where it was washed by others. Note that *one* wash, by concientous people who were being careful, made it look just awful to me, but they honestly claimed they couldn`t see what I was talking about (I guess most people can`t on silver). I haven`t driven it much this winter, but the last two winters it was driven all the time (and it recently got *nasty-dirty* during our Thanksgiving trip, no problem).

I usually don`t even get marring on our minivan, which I drive almost every day, year round.

But then I spend hours and hours on every wash, every stroke done with care (and with the foamgun), many mitts even when the vehicle looks too clean to wash, etc. etc. It`s *not* easy, it`s very hard work and frankly, rather nerve-wracking. And every now and then I`ll still get careless and induce some fine marring. But I get it right out and try to do better.

But to be honest, my wife`s car, which is *not* marring free, looks almost as good to most people. The whole "marring free" business is just a personal challenge for me and I honestly don`t know if I`ll keep pursuing it. Life`s too short, and I sometimes find myself not using the S8 because I`ll have to wash it.

stevet
01-29-2005, 02:05 PM
I have some minor random marring from the winter. Four or five little spots. No swirls because I don`t do anything to my paint in a swirl motion. I will polish it out in the spring and I can maintain a marring free finish until winter.

The biggest problem for me in winter is ice formation on the paint. If you try to remove it you get marring. Let it melt and pieces fly off while you drive and cause worse marring and sometimes chip the paint. Can`t win.:(

SamIam
01-29-2005, 02:50 PM
"Life`s too short, and I sometimes find myself not using the S8 because I`ll have to wash it."

Wow. Being the owner of an A8, I cry at the thought of a pent up S8. Kind of like our 7 month old puppy. Always ready and willing to go. And go very fast I might add!!!

I think the S8 might be the perfect mix of fun, luxury, and kick butt 4 door performance, in ALL weather conditions.

Scottwax
01-29-2005, 03:25 PM
My 626 is about as good as it is going to get. No swirls currently but there are some scratches that can`t be eliminated competely. You really have to look to see them though.

imported_jgv
01-29-2005, 03:27 PM
I have!

Here`s a pic I took recently after finishing with Menzerna Final Finish and Z5. The rest of the car it`s equal :D

http://www.detalhe.net/vb3/gallery/photos/1/p1010121.jpg

MongooseGA
01-29-2005, 03:47 PM
Ah, come on! Who voted for option 4?

:lol ;)

Scottwax
01-29-2005, 03:48 PM
Great shot, Jose! The paint looks incredible!

BTW, here is my proof!

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/878my_626_shokar_rear_fender.jpg

I do have some minor pitting that can`t be removed. I think that is from when my brother owned the car and hardly ever washed it and never waxed it in 2 years.

http://autopia.org/gallery/data/500/878my_626_shokar_trunk.jpg

Accumulator
01-29-2005, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by SamIam

Being the owner of an A8, I cry at the thought of a pent up S8. Kind of like our 7 month old puppy...

Yeah, I know... but the S8 (despite being ruined by the whole "deer incident" thing) is still my "good" car, which I sorta reserve for special occasions. Seems like most of the time I`m taking the dogs (thus using the minivan) or just running quick errands (and the A8`s already dirty and has better ground clearance).

If I were still teaching it`d be a different story, I`d drive it all the time. If I keep it when I find its replacement I`ll drive the wheels off *it* and keep the replacement "pent up". Which *is*, BTW, a great way to express that...the car always *does* feel like a hyper puppy on a too-short leash :D

But as an A8 owner, you know that even a "quick wash" is a pretty involved process on those cars. There are what, 60-some slots in the upper grill alone, and don`t get me going about all the beautiful but complicated hinges and other little details!

SamIam
01-29-2005, 05:30 PM
You are correct sir! in regards to the upper grill, what a pain. And what a beautiful car when it`s right. I still love looking at mine, even though I`ve pretty much driven the wheels of in the last year!

By the way, I just bought a Honda Odyssey, just so I can haul the dogs with the kids. We have a 12 yr old Belgian Shepherd and a 7 month old Lab-Poodle mix. They both enjoy the easy entry of the Minivan. My wife took it easy on me for this one and bought a Gold van, telling me, "Black just would have been way too tough on you!".

One question on the S8, just how fast is it?

imported_Axe
01-29-2005, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by jgv

I have!

Here`s a pic I took recently after finishing with Menzerna Final Finish and Z5. The rest of the car it`s equal :D

http://www.detalhe.net/vb3/gallery/photos/1/p1010121.jpg

Wow, I want to see the rest of that car, not that I dispute your claim, just because it must look absolutel awesome! :bow

Accumulator
01-29-2005, 07:00 PM
SamIam - I`m gonna PM you lest this turn into another of my thread-jacks.

C. Charles Hahn
01-29-2005, 07:22 PM
My old vehicle was swirl free, but I haven`t had much ability to clean up the new one adequately. Today I was able to sneak a coat of S100 on it but past that I`ve got to wait for warmer weather.

Here`s a couple pics of the old blazer though:

http://www.hahn-on-the.net/pictures/PICT0020.JPG

http://www.hahn-on-the.net/pictures/PICT0021.JPG

http://www.hahn-on-the.net/pictures/PICT0022.JPG

:shocked

whiteowl
01-29-2005, 08:00 PM
My 1999 FORD Explorer is swirl free. Original paint has a few pin size paint chips(stones off other cars)and 5 minor scratches and no dents. I went to two cars shows this year and was so sad not to find a car without swirls. I will be passing of baggies at the next one this year. I know most cars never saw a clay bar. I saw an awsume 55 chevy,red,2 door. I got close and almost got sick. It looked like he washes it with a dubee from the kitchen sink.All that money and no polish. What a waste of a nice car.This year I may have to talk to the owner.