PDA

View Full Version : Best way to clean dirty leather?

Pages : [1] 2

imported_WCD
01-28-2005, 10:37 PM
It seems lately that I`ve been getting more and more leather (ford, dodge -American models) interiors that are not in good shape.

I usually take what I consider a low risk approach by using a toothbrush style brush with soft bristles and water, or a mild upholstery cleaner, brush in small circles, and wipe down with lightly misted mf towel and then treat with leather cleaner.

There MUST be a better and quicker way to cleaning the leather. A lot of time is taken when I use my hands to spread the creases so that I can clean out the embedded dirt. I do what I consider an "ok-good" job, but know there is better methods (products, brushes) that I should utilize.

Please take a moment if you feel you have a great product or technique that cleans leather seats safely and effectively.

Thanks, Rob

White95Max
01-28-2005, 10:46 PM
I think a lot of people use a handheld MF applicator to clean and condition leather.

I`ve only used my leather conditioner once, and that was on my shift boot and Ebrake boot. For that, I used a WalMart MF to apply the cleaner/conditioner, and another MF to buff off.

imported_mrecktid
01-28-2005, 11:14 PM
Try a Mr Clean Magic Eraser

Bill D
01-28-2005, 11:27 PM
If it`s real dirty I really don`t see a way around good old fashioned elbow grease. The Leatherique system is probably very impractical for a shop setting. The brush that comes with that kit seems very good though. I would keep the cleaner relatively mild, don`t want to get too aggressive for faster results, risking doing damage,perhaps not immediately apparent.

The Woolite:water mix does well but maybe some of the more obscure brands ( Leather Master for example?) might be just as light or safe but more efficient :nixweiss

stevet
01-28-2005, 11:46 PM
Lexol Leather Cleaner. Easy to use, cleans well, inexpensive, and it`s made for the purpose of cleaning leather so it`s safe. I use a foam app and a MF towel.

Bill D
01-28-2005, 11:55 PM
I find the Lexol Leather Cleaner and the Woolite mix to be quite close in cleaning ability, perhaps with a slight nod to the Woolite mix, also inexpensive.

stevet
01-29-2005, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by Bill D

I find the Lexol Leather Cleaner and the Woolite mix to be quite close in cleaning ability, perhaps with a slight nod to the Woolite mix, also inexpensive.

Bill,

Many people on Autopia use the Woolite mix and report that it works well. It`s a laundry detergent and I would rather use a product made for the job. I wonder about the long term effects of using a laundry detergent on leather. Since Lexol is inexpensive, works well, and is made to do the job thats what I use.

There is some good info on the CMA site about Lexol. The people at Lexol were interviewed and explain about proper cleaning and conditioning of leather.

JaCkaL829
01-29-2005, 12:13 AM
stevet,

I remember people reading on the tag of their leather seats to use the woolite mix. I recall reading that Scottwax had a caddy with leather and thats what it reccomended. I`ve also read other posts about car manufacturers recomending a similiar mixture for the leather.

Scottwax
01-29-2005, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by stevet

Bill,

Many people on Autopia use the Woolite mix and report that it works well. It`s a laundry detergent and I would rather use a product made for the job. I wonder about the long term effects of using a laundry detergent on leather. Since Lexol is inexpensive, works well, and is made to do the job thats what I use.

There is some good info on the CMA site about Lexol. The people at Lexol were interviewed and explain about proper cleaning and conditioning of leather.

Wool detergent based solutions are now specifically recommended in the Lexus owner`s manual and I got the Woolite idea from the leather care tag on a `94 Cadillac De Ville when I was first starting out.

After 10 years, if there was a problem long term with Woolite/water on leather I`d know.

imported_WCD
01-29-2005, 12:26 AM
Thanks for so many quick responses.

I`m going to pick up some Woolite, Malco, and I have something from Bud to try out.

I`ll try all three and report my findings- although you already have your procedure, so you may not care too much.

Thanks again, Rob

Bill D
01-29-2005, 12:29 AM
Please do report it any way. Sometimes a new found procedure breaks convention.

Steve,

I follow your reasoning. I apply similarly to many other aspects of detailing and I`m a long time fan of Lexol, it`s just that the Woolite: water mix shows to work well for the very seldom occasions I may use it on leather, vinyl or upholstery. I have both the Lexol cleaner and the Woolite mix sitting side by side, just a personal preference.

gearhead
01-29-2005, 12:57 AM
I find Lexol to be a little too mild of a cleaner, never tried Woolite but don`t really like the workintoafoam/rinse/dry cleaners like these two. Klasse cleaner/protectant (red bottle) is a very good cleaner but leaves leather slightly too shiny and has a strong smell I don`t like. The Eagle-Ottawa cleaner I tried years ago was just okay but it was just clean and buff off.

Okay, guess I`m sounding like I don`t really like anything. I got some Z9 and Turtle Wax 1-step I haven`t tried yet--hope I like them better. Anyone try the Zymol cleaner (made by TW) that`s sold at Target?

Scottwax
01-29-2005, 01:09 AM
gearhead-no need to rinse the Woolite/water mix, nor any need to work it into a foam. Spray, wipe or scrub as needed, wipe dry. That`s it.

gearhead
01-29-2005, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by Scottwax

gearhead-no need to rinse the Woolite/water mix, nor any need to work it into a foam. Spray, wipe or scrub as needed, wipe dry. That`s it.

Okay, I`ll have to try it then, thanks!:D

Bill D
01-29-2005, 09:45 AM
Yes,with the Woolite mix I never had to do more than wipe it clean with a damp cloth. No rinsing, as I`ve found more likely to be with the Lexol cleaner.