PDA

View Full Version : MINI`s and vinyl graphics

Pandora
01-28-2005, 04:44 PM
I`m detailing a friend`s MINI soon and he has the Union Jack on the roof. This is a series of vinyl stickers that seem to have a pretty thick edge to them.

Is it possible to polish the roof with a PC? I plan on using a cutting pad and Menzerna IP, followed with a polishing pad and FP on the body of the car as it`s fairly neglected. Will this work on the roof, or will I sling the pride of England straight off? I launched some of my grandma`s pinstriping from the fender of her car using a cutting pad last year, so I`d like to avoid this!

I thought of taping off the edges of the decals, but thought this might leave an odd finish when`s all said and done. Surely someone has experience with this, or even the racing stripes that I assume are also vinyl. TIA.

Ben

MongooseGA
01-28-2005, 05:38 PM
I think that as long as you`re careful you`ll be ok. I`m sure others with more experience with this will be able to help.

BTW, are you on BF.C?

Pandora
01-28-2005, 06:01 PM
Thanks Mongoose. If by BF.C you mean Bimmerforums (BenT) or Bimmerfest (redbread) then I am. If something else, it`s still possible as I`m a bit to message boards like the poor guy in Fight Club is to help groups.

Ben

MS22
01-28-2005, 06:07 PM
I have used #80 on the Union Jack graphic itself, very sowly, with good results by rotary. To get the white area between the vinyl graphics I also used a 4" LC pad attached to a cordless drill. Funny you ask this because I have this car again tomorrow morning, Its a Red Cooper S with a few engine mods, gorgeous and sickly fast for such a small car. I`ll be posting pics. I think you`ll be safe as long as you work the PC on the pads edge making sure it rotates towards the edge of the graphic. I have had good results polishing the graphic and blank areas separately.

togwt
01-31-2005, 09:38 AM
The `60`s mini I owned had a flag on the roof, it took up most of the available space so I always cleaned it by hand with AIO

Pandora
01-31-2005, 01:34 PM
Thanks all, most of the issue with the roof, specifically the white bits under the vinyl, appears to be light oxidation from neglect, so AIO is an excellent recommendation. I`ll try just that with a white pad and see where I stand. I suppose if I need just a touch more, I can try IP with another white pad and very little pressure.

Ben