PDA

View Full Version : The "right" way to wax the car?

SSQ
01-28-2005, 01:00 AM
Hey guys,

I have been using lots of waxes in the past, and most of them are wax/cleaner combined because I don`t really have the patience to spend the whole 10 hours of saturday wash, polish, and multipe layers on my car.

I just got a bottle of the Meguiars Hi-Tech Yellow wax, and as we all know, it doesn`t have cleaner. I just got this new car two months ago, and has applied NXT to it about a month later. If I am to use the Hi-Tech Yellow wax, do I REALLY have to polish the car first?

a.k.a. Patrick
01-28-2005, 01:18 AM
You dont have to do anything, but more noticeable results can be had with a polish. NXt has mild cleaners in it, but nothing that will clean the paint up. I guess the Autopian answer is yes....

Scottwax
01-28-2005, 01:45 AM
Without seeing your car in person, I can`t really answer your question. If the paint is swirl free and as defect free as possible in the direct sun, you can simply rewax. If not, you need to do some polishing first.

imported_wblynch
01-28-2005, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by SSQ

I just got this new car two months ago ... do I REALLY have to polish the car ... ?

Well, it`s a lot of money buying a new car. Don`t you want to keep it looking new for a long, long time?

togwt
01-28-2005, 07:57 AM
The underlying objective to successful automotive detailing is to revive and preserve the original as new finish, this is not done in an attempt to disguise a poor finish with products that create an illusion of cleanliness, but to correct them by removing blemishes and providing protection from the environment. There are numerous reasons for this, pride in ownership, entering concourse dâ€â„¢ÃƒÆ’©légance events, maintaining a higher resale value or protection of what has become a large monetary investment, or simply pride of ownership.

Paint Surface Maintenance:

Paint is manufactured from resins (oil) over time these oils leach out due to environmental conditions, rain and vehicle washing concentrates or detergents and need to be replenished for both lubricating the surface during the cleaning process and rejuvenating any dried-out paint (oxidation)

Surface preparation- a wash concentrate washes away the loose dirt particles from the paint surface, detailerâ€â„¢s clay removes embedded (below surface) pollution, paint cleaners contain a solvent for cleaning imbedded (surface) dirt, tar and road grime; polish will remove surface imperfections (scratches, surface marring) and provide the paint with necessary oils and a polymer and/or wax is used to protect the paint.

The most important protection you can provide for your paints finish is a planned regimen of care.

By following the recommended maintenance schedule will provide maximum protection for your automotive investment as well as ensuring a pristine appearance.

Washing- twice per month, alternate with Quick Detailing (QD)- twice a month, Cleaning-every five or six months, Protection-every three to four months, adjust timetable to suit climatic and driving conditions.

Accumulator
01-28-2005, 12:04 PM
SSQ- The regulars here might consider this another one of my "Autopian Heresies" :o but anyhow...

It`s perfectly reasonable to not want to spend too much time on detailing. "One-step" products can work *very* well; I know people who use them and while their cars might not be what some Autopians consider "perfectly detailed", they still have great looking rides.

Often just using a cleaner wax from time to time and then topping with a "straight" wax now and then can work great. I`ve known people who never did anything more than this combo and their paint held up (and looked) fine for many, many years.

The #26 is a "straight wax" and so you should probably do some kind of prep before using it, at least now and then. Clay, a cleaner wax, or a mild polish will all do something to prep the finish for the #26. Which of the three you use depends on the paint`s condition. But *do* perform some kind of prep at least once or twice a year.

Next time you wash the car, look it over closely and see what it might need, prep-wise.

I *would* clay it now and then. It really is worth the effort. Clay will pull out contaminants and make for smooth paint. If all looks well after claying you could just apply the #26.

If there are no swirls you could also go over the freshly-clayed car with a cleaner wax. It would remove any residue left over from the claying and will provide a few weeks worth of protection. Then apply the #26 after the next wash. This is probably what I`d *really* advise you to do. Just keep the cleaner wax off any black trim.

If you *do* have swirls/marring (and they bother you), I`d use an easy-to-use polish that also provides some protection (such as 1Z Paint Polish). The 1Z PP will protect the paint for a few weeks all on its own. As with the cleaner wax, you could simply apply the #26 after the next wash.

Then apply the #26 from time to time whenever the beading starts to look like it`s dropping off.

You *can* have a nice looking car without spending a lot of time on it ;)

the other pc
01-28-2005, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Accumulator

...It`s perfectly reasonable to not want to spend too much time on detailing. ... What? :shocked I,.. I,... I,... don`t understand. :confused: How could that be??? That`s crazy talk!

Auntie Em, AuntieEm!

Accumulator
01-29-2005, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by the other pc

What? :shocked I,.. I,... I,... don`t understand. :confused: How could that be??? That`s crazy talk!

Auntie Em, AuntieEm!

Heh heh, see why I call it my "Autopian Heresy" :D

JeffM
01-29-2005, 03:12 PM
Nah, you dont have to polish. This is what i would do, initially.

I would wash, clay, then use megs 1st step (of the 3 step system)paint cleaner, then NXT.

Your finish should be very nice without much effort.

In a year you might be using the PC on it, but with carefull washing, you should make it a year without having to polish your finish.

JustinR32
01-29-2005, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by Accumulator

SSQ- The regulars here might consider this another one of my "Autopian Heresies" :o but anyhow...

It`s perfectly reasonable to not want to spend too much time on detailing. "One-step" products can work *very* well....

I`m a big believer in "cleaner waxes" myself. Once the big work is done in the spring, I don`t need to do the 5-step, but I don`t want to wax without using a bit of paint cleaner too, to get the micro-stuff that washing missed. In my experience, a quality cleaner wax will maintain the current level of protection, remove contaminant buildup, and help control swirling. That`s one of the reasons I like the use of slight cleaners in GC and NXT. I used to buy into the "layering" concept, but since I`ve discarded that hypothesis for my own personal use, there are a lot more quality products available for paint care. I`ll still use my #26 and Souveran, but for general care cleaner waxes work great.

Tom

vdog0531
01-29-2005, 07:09 PM
its your car, you have to decide for yourself how much time and how worth it is to you. if it was my car, i would do it how "I" feel is right, not how you or anyone else on here feels its right. and they way i develop my "right" way to do my car is from this website. look around, learn, and then you can decide if its worth your time or not to do all the steps.

Vernon