PDA

View Full Version : what`s a good otc leather conditioner

Pages : [1] 2

accordmaniac
01-27-2005, 11:09 PM
What would you recommend for a good quality over the counter leather conditioner? Also has anyone used Yankee Candle leather scented air frescheners before? How close of a smell to leather are they? And do they last long in hot weather?

stilez
01-27-2005, 11:11 PM
Yankee Candle Leather Car Jars are my fav :). I use them exclusively. I use em for 1-2 months then toss em. They`re VERY strong for the first week or so then die off. No matter what, I always get compliments on how "new" my car smells.

OTC Leather Conditioner...Lexol, but I`d go Internet. I like 4* Ultimate Leather Conditioner (smells like leather) and a lot of people like Zaino Z10 Leather in a Bottle (smells like leather as well).

RedondoV6
01-27-2005, 11:13 PM
Lexol is my favorite OTC leather conditioner.

I did not like the Yankee candle leather scented air freshner myself, I thought it smelled artificial, but others seem to like it OK. Griots leather air fresher spray is very nice, but it only seems to last for a few days for me.

I tried a lot of leather scented conditioners to find the one I like best (most available over the net) and I`ve settled on Zaino Z10 as having the best and longest lasting leather scent. Z10 is also easier to use than the other conditioners I tested.

Bill D
01-27-2005, 11:18 PM
Same here, I have a big jug of Lexol. I recently applied it and then topped with 303 to see how it would look and feel. Did great: leather`s conditioned and now has added UV protection :)

I use the Zaino on the Caddy and may eventually switch over to it entirely but that big container of Lexol is going to last me a while.

RedondoV6
01-27-2005, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by Bill D

Same here, I have a big jug of Lexol. I recently applied it and then topped with 303 to see how it would look and feel. Did great: leather`s conditioned and now has added UV protection :)

Bill: How did that look after you topped off with 303? Interesting idea! Did you buff off the Lexol and leave to dry or just buff and then go straight to the 303?

Bill D
01-27-2005, 11:26 PM
I buffed like a usually do, just with terry towels. I did my best ot detect any blotching, things looked ok so I proceeded to the 303, then buffed that with terry towels throughly as well. I will continue to see if there any shiny/uneven spots but i don`t think so.

This is admittedly a whole lot more involved than the Zaino, that product is probably the next best thing to applying itself. I really like it :up

Scottwax
01-28-2005, 01:24 AM
The Turtle Wax leather stuff is excellent...pretty much the only TW product I use but it is really good. Light leather scent, soaks in very quickly and leaves a very light sheen and the leather soft.

gearhead
01-28-2005, 01:37 AM
Is the Turtle Wax stuff actually branded TW (sorry, sounds like dumb question but there`s also the Zymol stuff made by TW)? Don`t remember seeing it but then I think my eyes automatically filter out anything with the TW name on it. I`ll have to look for it. Was wondering as I almost bought the Zymol stuff then I remembered, "TW, no I can`t!" :)

Tough to find a good leather conditioner otc besides Lexol. I find their cleaner too mild and a pita to use (wash+rinse). Their conditioner, while it does a good job, doesn`t have enough of a leather smell. The Megs GC one-step doesn`t do either job well and leaves the leather sticky. Used to see some Eagle Ottawa stuff at W-M but don`t anymore.

Scottwax
01-28-2005, 01:48 AM
http://store.aumauto.com/tu14.html

I don`t use it for its cleaning ability (which seems very mild) but just for conditioning.

REX-RACER
01-28-2005, 04:59 AM
I have an `01 Mustang Cobra w/ leather seats that have large suede inserts in the center. The seats are a parchment coloro and I`ve been wondering if I can use a leather cleaner/conditioner combo like Z9/Z10 on the whole seat or do I need a seperate product for the suede insert?

togwt
01-28-2005, 08:52 AM
Unfinished leather:

Some cars have untreated leather; soft, full grain leather made from an un-split sheepskin, lambskin, or kidskin, usually tanned with alum and chromium salts and dyed throughout.

The easiest way to tell is to sprinkle a few drops of water onto the leather, if the water is absorbed into the leather and looks like a stain, it`s untreated if the water is not absorbed then it`s treated.

Clean the surface with 303TM Cleaner & Spot Remover it removes even stubborn stains, including oil, grease, ink, berry juice, wine and blood. It contains no soaps, detergents, phosphates, nitrates, caustics, toxic organics, enzymes or volatile organic chemicals (VOC)

Using a soft upholstery brush to raise the `nap` of the skin then apply cleaner by spraying onto a 100% cotton towel (do not saturate) allow to air dry.

The surface of these leathers has no protective barrier to protect them. As a result these leathers are very prone to soiling and staining. To protect unfinished leathers including suede, deerskin and unfinished dyed leathers, use 303ΓƒΆΓΆβ‚¬ΕΎΓ‚Ά High Tech Fabric Guard.

Use on new or newly cleaned leather, spray on (but do not saturate) and let dry, it creates and maintains water repellence, resists soiling and helps protect against both water and oil based stains.

Identifying characteristics- very soft to the touch, will scratch or scuff very easily; water drops will darken the leather but it returns to its original colour after drying.

REX-RACER
01-28-2005, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by TOGWT

Unfinished leather:

Some cars have untreated leather; soft, full grain leather made from an un-split sheepskin, lambskin, or kidskin, usually tanned with alum and chromium salts and dyed throughout.

The easiest way to tell is to sprinkle a few drops of water onto the leather, if the water is absorbed into the leather and looks like a stain, it`s untreated if the water is not absorbed then it`s treated.

Clean the surface with 303TM Cleaner & Spot Remover it removes even stubborn stains, including oil, grease, ink, berry juice, wine and blood. It contains no soaps, detergents, phosphates, nitrates, caustics, toxic organics, enzymes or volatile organic chemicals (VOC)

Using a soft upholstery brush to raise the `nap` of the skin then apply cleaner by spraying onto a 100% cotton towel (do not saturate) allow to air dry.

The surface of these leathers has no protective barrier to protect them. As a result these leathers are very prone to soiling and staining. To protect unfinished leathers including suede, deerskin and unfinished dyed leathers, use 303ΓƒΆΓΆβ‚¬ΕΎΓ‚Ά High Tech Fabric Guard.

Use on new or newly cleaned leather, spray on (but do not saturate) and let dry, it creates and maintains water repellence, resists soiling and helps protect against both water and oil based stains.

Identifying characteristics- very soft to the touch, will scratch or scuff very easily; water drops will darken the leather but it returns to its original colour after drying.

TOGWT thanks a heap! :xyxthumbs

I`ve really been wondering what I was going to use to clean that and from what you`re saying it sounds like the suede inserts will need special ( or at least different ) treatment than the rest of the leather seat.

Personally I think this is a stupid way to make a car seat and a light colored one at that, but that`s another rant . . . :rolleyes:

Thanx again!

Bill D
01-28-2005, 09:07 AM
I love white leather seats :D. Definitely only for those who will religiously clean/maintain them though.

Scottwax
01-28-2005, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by Bill D

I love white leather seats :D. Definitely only for those who will religiously clean/maintain them though.

They are really nice in the Jaguar S Types....get dirty real fast and means more work for me! :p

a.k.a. Patrick
01-28-2005, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by Scottwax

The Turtle Wax leather stuff is excellent...pretty much the only TW product I use but it is really good. Light leather scent, soaks in very quickly and leaves a very light sheen and the leather soft.

LMAO, TW rocks the Leather world, I love that stuff, great smell, nice and creamy, not slippery.....Soaks in nice, and no buffing afterwards.....I agree with Scott...

Fourstars is a close second.....