PDA

View Full Version : rainx problem

Pages : [1] 2

vick-e
01-27-2005, 12:41 PM
i think this is the right forum for my question. if not i apologize.

i usually and have never had this problem before...but a week ago i used rain x on my windshield... the repeling rain stuff...and now its hazing or streaking, i do not know the correct term, but basically i see a light layer or white film at night. This especially is a problem when i use the windshield wiper, creates the hazing and then i see little diamond shapped things on the window. when this happens i drive EXTREMELY slow because i can not see a thing...any help??

i tried taking it off and reapplying...but i did not have any luck taking the rain x off...i tried using window cleaner and then dawn.

anyone have any advice on how to fix my white residue problem?

stilez
01-27-2005, 12:52 PM
I`ve never had this problem, but I`d use a paint polish to take it off. Use it as you would use it on your paint. Some people like using wax on their windows for beading. I have tried it and liked it, so it may be an option for you.

vick-e
01-27-2005, 12:55 PM
ahh i read about this on another thread. does it matter if i use synthetic or not? and do you think its better than rain x.

when i used rain x on my other car....i have no windshield wipers and i would no need them even in rain or snow. :D i think thats cool! lol just flies off everytime i go over 15km

imported_mirrorfinishman
01-27-2005, 01:22 PM
Originally posted by vick-e

i usually and have never had this problem before...but a week ago i used rain x on my windshield... the repeling rain stuff...and now its hazing or streaking, i do not know the correct term, but basically i see a light layer or white film at night.

I experienced the same problem and stopped using it. I also experienced a problem with the wipers chattering too.

I guess if we did not use the wipers we would not notice any problems.

92MX83
01-27-2005, 02:29 PM
I use Rain-X and have the same streaking issue for the first couple of weeks, then it goes away. Actually, I found that simply washing the car (glass, of course), gets rid of the streaks, and the water still beads and flies off.

What are they caused by? I only get this when it rains, (and they call it Rain-X!), and so I was starting to think it was caused by something suspended in the raindrops, like bug-poop or some chemical or something. Again, it washes off easily enough, so it hasn`t been an issue, especially since the streaking lasts only a week or two. I typically get great durability from Rain-X on my side and rear glass (4-6 months or so), but it only lasts about a month on the windshield, and less where the wpiers pass.

I`m still curious about Aquapel, though. I`ll probably pick up a few applications to try if I see it on eBay or something.

audio1der
01-27-2005, 02:32 PM
I`ve never used Rain-X window additiove, but do swear by Rain-X washer fluid. They make summer and winter fluids which contain some Rain-X, and it works spectacularly without any hazing.

I won`t drive without it.:up

imported_The Uncle
01-27-2005, 03:30 PM
I had a similar problem with Rain-X. I wiped the windshield down with Invisible Glass and that seemed to solve the problem without stopping that nice beading action.

Bill D
01-27-2005, 03:42 PM
Yep, Ebay is a great source for Aquapel.

When I used to apply Rain X, I waited until needing to wash a car: I used to clean the windows first with mfs and alcohol/glass cleaner, apply the Rain X, then wash and dry the car as usual and never had any problems with streaking but I do seem to recall chattering wipes although that also could`ve been due to silicone blades. If you want to continue to use Rain X perhaps try this method and get the 303 wiper blade treatment for the chattering.

qwik5o
01-27-2005, 04:20 PM
With the rain X, are you sure after you put it on your letting it haze and then completely wiping it off?

I have never had any problems. :nixweiss

vick-e
01-27-2005, 04:25 PM
i don`t know what chattering is.

but ya i cleaned it off pretty well. i mean its never happened to me either. i have rainxed this car for 2 years now and this is first time.

could putting on too much cause this prob?

TheShinyMama
01-27-2005, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by Bill D

Yep, Ebay is a great source for Aquapel.

Aquapel?? Is it anything similar to RainX?

imported_The Uncle
01-27-2005, 07:44 PM
Aquapel is a product that is generally applied by car dealers or other professionals. It is basically a much more effective version of Rain-X.

http://www.ppg.com/gls_aquapel/

Eliot Ness
01-27-2005, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by vick-e

........i have rainxed this car for 2 years now and this is first time........

When was the last time you changed your wiper blades?

I`ve got RainX wiper blades (got them at Wal-Mart) on my daily driver and they have performed really well for me, but just in the last couple of weeks I`m noticing some streaking so it`s time to get a new set.

I use the same method as Bill D, clean the windshield, apply RainX, and then wash the car.

vick-e
01-27-2005, 08:25 PM
maybe 2 months ago. changed it before it snowed.

if bothers me more when the windshield wiper is on...but even with it off...its still Blurry and hazy.

Eliot Ness
01-27-2005, 09:17 PM
It could be possible there was a film you werenâ€â„¢t able to remove on your windows before applying Rain-X that is causing your problems. Iâ€â„¢ve never experienced that problem, but you may want to contact Rain-X about it and see what they suggest:

Customer Service: 800.844.1080 (8am - 5pm, Mon.-Fri. CST)

I wouldnâ€â„¢t use a car wax on your windows because that is said to cause streaking (especially at night w/wipers on), but Iâ€â„¢ve also had good luck with VM (Vanilla Moose) and others have said Klasse AIO works well for them also. On a non-daily driver (street rod) just a QD seems to work well. I think next time Iâ€â„¢m going to do my windshield ½ with Rain-X and ½ with VM to see how well they each perform/last.

If you talk to Rain-X and find a solution be sure to report back to us.