PDA

View Full Version : buy a rotory or stronger polish

whiteowl
01-26-2005, 07:42 PM
I have been using my 7424 for about 6 months now. Some cars still have defects(no scratches you can feel by finger nail)buy can see if you look hard,on dark cars. I have tryed FP & IP STILL not satified with the results. I could try SSR2 before I buy a rotory. I have been around cleaning cars for 40 years, so not afraid to buy a high speed buffer. I plan on foam pads at 1000 rpm if I go there. I do have daily drivers to practice on before I go after my wife`s new maxima.Will I ever by happy with the PC alone? I know it is very useful. I have seen some ausome defects that guys get out with the PC on this web site. I am not afraid to buy different products if need be. Have most of the stuff guys are using on this site. Not afraid to buy a rotory just need a little nudge. Thanks:xyxthumbs

Bill D
01-26-2005, 07:49 PM
I felt similarly and bought a rotary. I wish I had the extensive background as you though. I wound up having "The Trinity": PC, rotary and Cyclo. I have all three for the fun of using each machine more than anything else.

The PC can still do a wonderful job on micromarring of course depending on technique, pads,hardness of the paint and propducts use I would say in that order.

I don`t think it will be a mistake or you will regret it if you choose to add a rotary to your arsenal.

RedondoV6
01-26-2005, 07:59 PM
Two products you might consider: PB`s SSR2.5 and my favorite, 3M PI-III RC followed by the MG. I find both more agressive than IP and they work well with a PC.

gbackus
01-26-2005, 08:37 PM
I`ve been practicing quite awhile with my rotary, and pretty soon I will be doing almost all of my polishing with a rotary. I find that it is faster, more powerful with milder polishes(example I can remove defects with Meg`s #80 with a rotary and a polishing pad at 1200 rpm that I could not remove with a PC at speed 6 and #83 DACP), and produces a glossier finish. My suggestion: Get the rotary.

vdog0531
01-26-2005, 09:48 PM
well if you havn`t tried DACP with a cutting pad by PC, try that first before you buy a rotary.

Vernon

MongooseGA
01-26-2005, 09:56 PM
I really wish I had saved up for a rotary insead of buying the PC. The PC was/is an excellent tool, but I`d rather have one tool to do even light stuff than 1 tool that can only do light stuff. Soon I`ll get the rotary though, so I can use it alongside the PC (At the same time if I get really artsy ;) :D :p ) .

sQuashed
01-26-2005, 09:59 PM
I want "action" photo`s Glenn !!!

6']['9
01-26-2005, 10:03 PM
id say up the polish before you get a rotory. If you purchase a rotory that doesnt mean the scratches you have can be removed with that particular product. If you know how to use it then its a good step. But you dont want to purchase a rotory then have to go and spend more $$ on polishes that you could have used on the PC.

Mochamanz1
01-27-2005, 12:29 AM
I use the pc and just keep misting with ISA to really work the polish in. IP is great when it is worked to the vanishing point. I have taken most of the defects out of a 12 y/o paint job using this technique. I actually wound up NOT needing to use FP because the IP broke down so well. Just my 2 cents.... :) Oh and I used the LakeCountry Variable contact pads. Yellow. then white.

Dave Pickett
01-27-2005, 02:47 AM
how about a 4" pad on the pc to deal with the damaged areas - much cheaper solution! now available from autopia!!

Accumulator
01-27-2005, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by Dave Pickett

how about a 4" pad on the pc to deal with the damaged areas ..

Yeah, the smaller pads seem to make the PC much less prone to bogging and hence more aggressive. Nothing like a rotary though.

Some aggressive products to consider with the PC are 1Z Ultra and Hi-Temp Medium Cut. They`ll leave micromarring, but are about as harsh as you can go by PC.

I always wonder if people really oughta remove some of the more serious marring though. Only so much clear on there...do you park in the hot sun much? Do you plan to keep the vehicle for a long time? Are you gonna make sure it doesn`t get marred again?

Bill D
01-27-2005, 12:49 PM
Good point Accumulator, I strayed away from exactly that on the Caddy. It`s original only once.

whiteowl
01-27-2005, 03:06 PM
Thanks Guys I ordered the rotory. I am sure it will save a lot of time & time is money. I don`t detail for a living ,friends and family cars so far. And yes some friends pay$$. Watch out when I retire (I hope in 3 years) Then more garage time for sure.

PS> Tips on moving. Since my wife and I have been house hunting she carries a tape measure. Most garages are only 21` from the door to the back wall. She knows I won`t look at house unless the garage is at least 4 to 5 cars wide and 30` or deeper. I worked hard all my life the least I can do is retire in a bigger garage. Thanks Guys

Bill D
01-27-2005, 03:11 PM
Just for the sake of caution: if at any time you feel uneasy about using the rotary, by all means do get some scrap panels to practice on. Even on a beater car, there`s no need to unnecessarily risk damaging the paint. But I do suspect you`re going to be just fine.

Accumulator
01-27-2005, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by dwhite815

.. Since my wife and I have been house hunting ... the least I can do is retire in a bigger garage.

OR buy a place where adding a "working" garage is feasible. We use our home`s original garage for the daily drivers and the "new garage", that I had built to my specs, for the detailing/etc. The ability to add what we wanted was right at the top of the list when we went looking; to me, the house we bought was just "potential" with the right location/acreage/services.